Update #19: New Challenger Approaching!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lisk, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

Hey folks! Lisk here. Today, I’ve got some very exciting news.

jules.png

I’d like to introduce Jules, the newest member to join AutoAttack Games. Jules was the lead tester for the original Legion TD back in 2009, and his feedback significantly impacted the way I designed the game, such as the decision to add restock timers to summons.

Jules went on to study statistics at Harvard and work at Riot Games for four years. While at Riot, he leveraged game data to balance League of Legends, playing a key role in keeping the game both competitive and enjoyable.

Jules is an avid gamer himself; among his favorites are chess, Total Annihilation, Advance Wars, Warcraft 3, and League of Legends. Don’t expect him to go easy on you though; in 2014 he was ranked in the top 200 in North America for League of Legends--that equates to being in the 99.99th percentile.

I speak for the whole team when I say we’re thrilled to have Jules on board the Legion TD 2 train. His design insights, analytical genius, and industry experience will help take the game to the next level.

With the Legion TD 2 Kickstarter on the horizon, you’ll be hearing more from Avernium and Jules in the coming weeks.

Please join us in welcoming Jules!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    DerpCat, Avernium, Rave and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, Lisk. I'm excited to help make Legion TD 2 a reality.

Avernium likes this.
  3. JulianEX

JulianEX Member

Can't you just port Legion TD to a new engine like Valve did on Dota? Seriously if you make like LoL cartoonish and 'newbie friendly' I will not play your game and remain with the Warcraft 3 LTD.

4. Vitus

Vitus Member

Welcome Jules! Top 200 in league, eh? Makes my gold I kinda sad by comparison. :)

I hope you can kick the development team into over-drive and make sure everything is more awesome than anticipated.

5. Rave

Rave Member

Welcome Jules!
    Impressive history you have there ! :)

6. ViolentlyHappy

ViolentlyHappy Member

Welcome! Glad to hear Legion TD 2 has such skilled and qualified people joining them :D

7. Avernium

Avernium Honorary Member Staff Member

Welcome home Jules :D

8. LForward

LForward Community Manager Staff Member

Welcome Jules,

Glad to hear you're now officially taking part in the development process.

9. BossHK

BossHK Member

Gotta log in 2nd time ever just for this and reply: niceee!

P.S. Shouldn't challenger be in top of the 0,01% instead of top 99,99% :--) Oh well, we all deserve challenjour but our teams are holding us back :x

Jules likes this.
  10. Gomba

Gomba Member

Awwwwwsome!!

11. Jules

Thanks, everyone.
    Good catch! Knowing the difference between top x% and xth percentile is obviously why Lisk brought me on. :p

Vitus likes this.
  12. DerpCat

DerpCat Member

Nice to meet you Jules! I'm glad to hear that the team brought you on! Can't wait to hear your insight on the game.

13. Akitos

Akitos Member

Welcome Jules :) Curious to see what additions you'll bring to the game! Lisk wrote that you've been testing the original LTD back in 2009, did you check out the new version (3.41e) yet? It's the one which is currently used for competitive play on ENT. If you haven't you should totaly come over for some games! The game has evolved a lot.

14. Jules

Funny you mention that. I actually just played five games of 3.41e today with the dev team! Here's a screenshot of Lisk and C3ll against Avernium and me in a 2v2.

Legion 2v2.jpg

15. DerpCat

DerpCat Member

Hah! That's awesome.

16. Mordred

Mordred Member

Awesome! I have been playing League Of Legends since the starter days, and playing Legion TD Since version 2.
    I must say, I am excited to see your love for Total Annihilation. That game flew so low under the radar, and has always been a favorite of mine. I just turned on a few friends of mine to its glory!
    Anyways. Glad to see you on board, and hope to play with/against you sometime.

17. Akitos

Akitos Member

Nice one but where is the replay?! :D Feel free to join the clan lihl channel on useast btw, there you get the chance to spectate some pro matches. Pretty sure those could give you some good insights in how the game is being played on the highest level. Note that 2s, 3s and 4s are having pretty different metas, just like 3s and 5s do in LoL.

EDIT - Nvm about the replays, since you've played on ENT they can be found in your match history hue.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  18. LForward

LForward Community Manager Staff Member

Some pro trashtalk atleast :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  19. Akitos

Akitos Member

Well, that aswell ^^ It's still the best spot to find matches that reflect how LTD is being played on the highest level tho. Sure, on the 1,2k+ bot are sometimes equally skilled matches or even better, but it's less consistent to happen unless big names are on the games. Not to mention you can't observe 1,2k+ matches, while you can do that with lihl matches.

20. Jules

Makes sense that the number of players in the game highly influences the meta.

I have a pretty good understanding of game strategy but am really rusty. As we're designing the game and tuning balance, we'll be spectating the pro scene and reaching out to players to best understand how the game is played at the highest level. I'll be sharpening up my skills as well. ;)