Update #36: Mech

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jules, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Happy November, everyone!

Pre-ordering is now officially available through Steam! If you pre-order Legion TD 2, you'll receive the Founder's Edition of the game.

The Mech legion is now complete!

peewee-forum.png

Veteran from the Mech legion

>> View all fighters

Mech fighters range from soldiers in mechanical suits to full-fledged tanks. They draw their energy from deployable structures known as Reactors and must be deployed within 2 squares of a Reactor. Leveraging advanced technology, Mech units overpower enemies with raw power. Their fighting style can be summed up in three words: "force over finesse."

Strengths:
    • High damage and durability
    • Relatively cost-effective
    • Significant sources of siege damage
    • Significant sources of fortified armor
    Weaknesses:
    • High gold and supply costs
    • Lack strong synergies
    • Must be deployed near Reactors
    Element, Forsaken, Grove, and Mech are the four available legions when the game launches. More legions will be designed over time.
    tempest-forum.png
    Tempest from the Mech legion

Recent Highlights

Here’s what Lisk and I were up to in October:
    • Released the Mech legion
    • Working on models and animations for Mech
    • Working on concept art, models, and animations for creatures and mercenaries
    • Released the official digital box art for Legion TD 2
    • Redesigned the Legion TD 2 logo
    • Designing and implementing pathfinding logic
    • Converting gameplay systems from singleplayer to server-client multiplayer (continued)

Themryon likes this.
  2. Jamo

Jamo Member

Mech fighters all look awesome. Pyro is my absolute favorite, his art looks amazing! Followed by Tempest and Veteran.

I didn't get this reactor concept. Does it mean, one has to build a reactor and place Mech units around it in order to give them power?

3. Themryon

Themryon Member

I like the fact that there is really something different about this Legion than in the other legions!
    Keep up the good work!

Jules likes this.
  4. NICOLAI89

NICOLAI89 Member

Hello Jules,

I have a quick question regarding the Steam pre-order. I saw it is available at $9.99. Everyone who bought it through Humble Bundle paid $20 for the same version of the game. Will there by any distinction between the ones who paid $20 to the ones that are paying $9.99 on Steam?
    As far as I am understanding they will get the same version paying half the price.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this topic.

Best regards,
    Nico.

5. Jules

Exactly right! You have to deploy Reactors to power nearby Mech units, but the upside is that Mech units are stronger than average.
    The game is $19.99 on Steam. What country do you live in? Steam does price things differently depending on your location.

6. Jamo

Jamo Member

Thx for your reply Jules. Sounds like a neat idea and as if you guys still have more than enough for future legions and more ;)

Jules likes this.
  7. Ennjaycee

Ennjaycee Member

Hey Jules,

How will the reactors work in Prophet mode? Do they have any effect on non-Mech troops?

8. Nortan

Nortan Member

It looks alright. Seems you went the strengths and weaknesses route by not trying to cover mechs lack of magic and pierce.

I won't comment on tower strengths yet obviously since they won't be balanced for months. Based off my vast experienced playing WC3 legion I will say that I hope Leviathan gets a range increase. It was quite terrible by itself but the fact that it was up in melee all the time just meant you couldn't block for it almost at all. They often died before your melee towers did which is terrible cause they were expensive an low health (bad damage too but that was the least of it's problems). It basically never saw use. I'd suggest a significant range increase. Maybe to even as much as 500.

Neotank and doomsdays faced some problems in WC3 that were often overlooked. The lack of an ability on the tower make it very weak early in the game when it costed so much and could only attack one unit at a time. It was a bit better in the late game but still not one of my preferred towers (Better than melee of course). They also didn't have the health to tank the damage of waves early on with only 1420 health for 360 gold. I see you have this boosted to 1805, which is more reasonable. They've always been awkward in Mech with the 425 range since the only towers with longer range are zues (which are actually really bad) so neotank and doomsdays can't tank/soak damage for other towers. What this meant was extremely bad synergy (I know this is in the description) with the rest of the towers and the ONLY towers that mattered was doomsdays toward the end and you spammed them. Since basically when all your gold and value gets invest into your doomsdays your other units besides zues get taken out first, and then they start killing your doomsdays.

Weak synergy is one thing but entire lack of synergy made mech lackluster and very awkward to build with once rifleman upgrades got you through the early game. I suggest a small potential synergy be looked into. I like the idea of levitation/tempest getting a range increase and doomsday potentially even getting a ranged reduction (almost a swap of range) so that doomsday positioned closer to melee and could block for leviathons to damage from the back. If leviathan must keep it's short range it needs a decent health boost to put it on par with melee units. If zues actually did good DPS it would be worth using so its fortified units would block for them. Zues in WC3 has very low health and low DPS. Many newer players get the misconception that it's great and make a lot of them. In the early game it just SEEMS better cause it attacks so quickly it can kill low health wave minions very efficiently (not wasting attacks on overkill like heavy hitting units). They actually take up tons of value which really screwed players over if they make more than like 2 overall since more value into zues meant they were hard to block for, would get leaked onto, and once attacked they quickly died. Putting your value in the back with severely frail units is incredibly dangerous since they will quickly be destroyed once wave minions move around or kill your front blockers. In the mid game melee wave minions would usually flood around your blockers/melee and even just a couple getting onto your zues would quickly take them out destroying thousands of gold worth of unit value in no time at all. Zues never should have been 560 health for it's 215 gold cost if it's only benefit was 800 range and fast attacks. It has half the health of a melee unit of similar cost and only with nature's meliai peircing debuff does it's damage even become decent.

That's a bunch of WC3 mumbo gumbo but I think it adds perspective. Honestly mech was a lot of pyro (which is really good) use early on and then only doomsday use at the end. A little zues use was beneficial to pick off some of the attackers that pyro wasn't great against, but that;s largely only due to lack of anything better to compliment pyro (+1 captain). Overall mech was an extremely awkward builder that ALWAYS struggled at some point in the early - midgame depending how they built. It did't help that cyborg (the T5) wasn't good.

That's just some thoughts of mine. I can't wait to see what is done with it. It will be really be nice having units more balanced so that it's not just all about pyro and doomsdays. with a handful of other units mixed in.

9. Tripple0

Tripple0 Member

Hello Jules,
    I saw in your post that only 4 legions will be playable in the release version of the game.
    So I have a few questions about that :
    1. Will Prophet be a class?
    2. Will x10/x3/x20 be playable?
    3. Will moded versions of the game (like hell) have a elo-system?

I am a LTD Hell player and streamer so these are my concerns regarding the game. Thank you!

10. vzk

vzk Member

Jules likes this.
  11. Guennter

Guennter Member

1. Prophet is a combination, so it shouldnt be hard to implement from start on.
    2. x3 will kinda be the standart, x10 and x20 will be moded by the community, therefor you need to wait till the modding tools are finished. And you have to wait again until modders finished the maps.
    3. They wont have a Elo-system given by the game itself (asfaik), but it should be possible to implement it on an own site (like ENT does for Wc3).

Jules likes this.
  12. Jules

We haven't ironed out those details yet, but here are two scenarios I'm thinking of:
    1. Reactors are available if and only if you have Mech fighters. Reactors are required to deploy Mech fighters and have no effect on other fighters.
    2. Reactors are always available. Reactors are required to deploy Mech fighters and have a small effect (e.g. +3% damage and +3% ability speed) on non-Mech fighters. The goal here is to avoid pigeonholing you into deploying only Mech or only non-Mech fighters.
    Great points about Mech's state of balance in classic Legion TD. If it reassures you, I consider game balance my expertise. For Legion TD 2, we'll be leveraging a ton of data (in addition to community/high Elo feedback) to make sure the game is balanced and fun. If players are only having success with Pyro or just aren't having success with Mech in general, we'll make changes.
    1. Yes, Prophet will be playable!
    2. Yes, these modes will be available through custom games. Probably not available immediately on release but will be available later.
    3. Probably not an official Elo system (which will exist for the main game), but players are always welcome to create their own systems.
    I hadn't gotten to Guennter's post yet when I wrote that, and yeah, he perfectly answered the questions. :p