1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[2.35] Guide: How to be a Grove Main

Discussion in 'Strategy Guides' started by Haze_Tech, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Haze_Tech

Haze_Tech Member

Notes:
    • First off i am making this guide b/c there hasn't been an updated grove guide (that i know of), for a long time.
    • After playing grove for a while, i think i am ready to share with you guys the build that i have been using. so far i have made it to 3rd place on the Grove leader boards and my overall elo is about 1900. So i am not the best play in the game by far but i think this build can be competitive in high elo play.
    • Keep in mind that this build will probably take a while to get used to especially on waves 5-8, which are very tough waves for Grove b/c it relies on you accurately guessing what your opponent will do.
    • in this guide i will not talk about when you should be buying workers other than the first few waves. It is up to you as the player to judge when you should be buying workers. This is just a guide of what you should be building towards.
    • Lastly keep in mind that this build is weak on waves 13 and 15, so you should tell your team mate this and ensure that as a team you have a way to survive those waves.
    • if you would like to see me play the build live:
    • video for the Guide:

Wave 1:
    Start with a Honeyflower and 4 workers, Hire your fifth worker as soon as possible during the wave.

wave 1.png

Wave 2:

Buy 2 Buzz, Make sure to send at least 40 mythium of mercs during wave 2, do not buy a worker if you get sent on wave 2. This will always leak to a DT send.

wave 2.png

Wave 3:

Buy a Wileshroom. This will hold a 60 send

wave 3.png

Wave 4:

Buy a Consort. This will hold a 80 send

wave 4.png

Wave 5:

Buy 3 Buzz and a Ranger. this will hold an 80 send, and will hold a 100 send about 80% of the time

wave 5.png

Wave 6:

This is the wave where the build can go one of two different ways.

• if you received a send on wave 5 DO NOT build anything here, you need to shift gold to get a Banana Bunk on wave 7. not building anything will hold a 40 send, sometimes a 60 send.
    • if you did not get sent on wave 5 build a Wileshroom, and 3 more Buzz, this will hold a 140 send, sometimes a 160 send.
    Only build this if you did not get sent on wave 5:
    wave 6.png

Wave 7:

Now at this point depending on what you did on wave 6 one of two things will happen:
    • first, if you got sent on wave 5 and saved your gold through wave 6 you should now buy a Banana Bunk. This will hold a 180 send.
    • Second, if you got sent on wave 6 do not buy anything here you now need to save your gold to get a Banana Bunk on wave 8. not building anything will hold a 40 send, sometimes a 60 send.
    wave 7.png

Wave 8:

This is where the outcomes i talked about previously meet up.
    • if you saved gold through wave 7 you should now buy a Banana Bunk. This will hold a 240 send.
    • if you already have a Banana bunk b/c you got it on wave 7 you don't need to build here. You will hold a 160 send, if you are expecting a larger send than that you can build a couple Rangers.
    wave 8.png

Wave 9:

here you can buy an Antler and 3 Buzz, this will hold a 180 send. If you are expecting a larger send, build 2 more rangers, this will hold a 240 send.

wave 9.png

Wave 10:

For wave 10 buy 4 Rangers. This can hold at least a 200 send.

wave 10.png

Wave 11:

Here just Buy 2 Daphne. If you are expecting a large send get a Banana Haven.

wave 11.png

Wave 12:

Now buy a Whitemane. at this point you are mostly setting up for a send on wave 13 which is a very weak wave for this build.

wave 12.png

Wave 13:

This is one of the weaker waves for this build so you should plan to be over value for wave 13. Buy a Daphne, a Canopie, 3 rangers and 1 Buzz. its very important that you get the Buzz as it will pull the 4eye into the split. This will hold a 280 send and sometimes a 300 send depending on the mercs. If you are expecting a larger send buy more Daphne.

wave 13.png

Wave 14:

from this point on i am going to show you what you would want to hold a send on any of the coming waves, its up to you to adapt to what your opponent is doing and when you expect a send. For 14 buy 2 Canopies.

wave 14.png

Wave 15:

At this point you need to sell that Buzz on the right side that you built on wave 13. Also i know Deathcaps are not the best unit on this wave but if you build more Canopies you end up being too weak on the coming waves, so plan to be over value on wave 15 in order to hold. Build 1 Daphne, and 2 Deathcaps.

wave 15.png

Wave 16:

Build 1 Deathcap. this can hold a 520 send. If you expect a larger send buy more Deathcaps.

wave 16.png

Wave 17:

This build is actually very strong on this wave all you need is 1 Banana Haven, DO NOT build the banana haven if you expect a wave 18 send. If you expect a very large send build more Deathcaps.

wave 17.png

Wave 18:

Build 3 Deathcaps.

wave 18.png

Wave 19:

Build an antler and another Banana Haven.

wave 19.png

Wave 20:

in order to hold a Shaman send on wave 20 you would need something like this.

wave 20.png

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Jules, Seraphon, Saber and 2 others like this.
  2. Seraphon

Seraphon Member

Some questions :

- Wave 5, if your opponent sends 2 DT + a snail it hold ? I'm a bit surprised but why not since consort deals a lot of dmg and synergize well early with ranger.

- Wave 6, depends on what your opponent sends. Except if this is a yolo game, you will never received 140 or 160 wave 6 or your opponent didn't send since wave 2. So basically, it means you overbuilt.

- Wave 7, I'm strongly disagree with you about the reason to build a bunk. I think, you build a bunk to prepare your worker push at the end of wave 9/10. Indeed, something great with Grove is 90% games you won't receive any send in wave 7 or 8 and if your opponent does, it will be obvious for you and stupid from him since for sure you will hold the wave. Also, wave 9 can be hard for grove since bunk does not deal a lot of damage to the wave and Canopie gets a lot of damage from the wave. So basically, opponent will want to send this wave usually since wave 10 is very easy for Grove with Ranger/Daphne.

But care, Grove is not particularly strong wave 11. If PTA, Overwork or Giant snail is available in the game, the best move from your opponent is to do his last send wave 7-8 then big send on 11. Your opponent will just die if you send a siege ram.

Also wave 15 is clearly a weak wave for Grove. You should except a huge send on this wave and again Siege Ram + Dino + Turtle will hurd quite hard.

anyways, Like all guides, you should precise at the beginning that the build depends A LOT about what your ally has and does!!!!
    A lot of people underestimate the impact about completementary build. "you're weak 13 ? Don't worry I cannot leak wave 13". So basically, if you're playing grove the best move you can do is asking your ally to be strong wave 13 and 15. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT THING TO UP IN HIGH ELO!!

Except those comments, thank you for this guide and this is still a very good guide :) Great job for sure !

Saber likes this.
  3. Saber

Saber Member

Really good guide Haze. I have only 1 Question why did you build more than 5 Daphne's on 20 ? I mean 4-5 are enough to get the full debuff. Wouldn't it be better with 5 Daphne's and more Canopie spam because wave 20 has fortified armor.

4. Haze_Tech

Haze_Tech Member

- yes the build on wave 5 will hold 2 DT and a snail every time, but it struggles with a Hermit Snail send.

- you are probably right about this it is a slight overbuild but with all the 5 worker starts in the meta right now i have noticed that i will get 140 sends on 6 more often than i would expect.

-i would actually say that i get sent on waves 7 or 8 in more than half my games. i think this is the main struggle with grove guessing if your opponent will send when you are shifting gold for a bunk. Also if you do not have a bunk on wave 8 grove is actually very weak to lizard spam sends. You are right about the build being weak on 9 though ill add something to the build guide for that.

-as for people sending on 11, which oddly enough doesn't happen to me often, this is where you would plan to get a haven, but if loan or dark ritual are in your game most players will not send on 11 b/c they know that grove will just get a haven. When this is the case my opponents usually send wave 9 than resend wave 10.

-yes that is right grove is very weak on 15, but for the most part as long as you get the Death caps you will only leak the boss, even with a siege ram send the Deathcap AOE still hits the Quadrapus.

-yes i will definitely add a note about this at the top

Thanks for the feedback, and i hope this answers a few of your questions.

Seraphon likes this.
  5. Haze_Tech

Haze_Tech Member

i did test having more canopies and less daphne but it does not work b/c the canopie are targeted first out of all the melee units after the Buzz die. So the Canopie never have enough time to deal any significant dmg, they are mostly just there to stall.

6. daimon620

daimon620 Member

ah, yes, thank you for a very detail guide, even myself still in lower elo but Grove is still hard for me to master
    most of the time is that i don't know when to Push, sometime overbuild for nothing since the opp just keep stacking from 3-4 waves which eat me alot in a sense
    also, i am still new so i don't know much of which wave i am strong or weak at to push

7. Haze_Tech

Haze_Tech Member

well in the early game with my build i would normally push 2 workers if i got a send on five, same if i got a send on 6. Than if i receive a send into my banana bunk on waves 7 or 8 i would push at least 3 workers. Anything past that, just stick to the rule where you only push workers when you receive a send. Knowing how many workers you can buy largely comes from experience in the build you are playing and knowing how strong it is on each wave.

8. Seraphon

Seraphon Member

Okay okay. Thank you for your answer ! :)

Does it change if there is vampirism in the game ?

9. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Member

Does this guide account for pack leader + snails on 8. /s

10. GvR Mr Mister

GvR Mr Mister Member

is the bunk tanking for the deathcaps with this build? havent tested it yet, but it looks like dcaps will run infront of the bunk (that isnt intended or?)

11. Haze_Tech

Haze_Tech Member

no you are right, the bunk tanks a very small amount of the wave. I have tested putting the bunk one block higher out of the whitemane aura, and i found that it actually makes things worse. I prefer having the bunk with the aura and it only tanking a few units over it tanking alot more without the aura.

GvR Mr Mister likes this.
  12. FadeDeklin

FadeDeklin Member

i dont know is this guide outdateed or not,
    i got leaks when they send 60 brute on wave 3 with your settings
    something like all clear except that brute 80% health