1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As society grows more toxic...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by EndOfFears, Nov 23, 2017.

1. EndOfFears

EndOfFears Member

... gaming community grows just as toxic. (Or the other way round?)

This has been on my mind for quite some while now as I've been an online-player for almost 20 years.
    Some people here might not even remember the times when there was no such thing as "pro-gamers" and playing more than 4 hours a day was considered "hardcore" or even alarming in terms of mental health.

Reflecting on this, some situations that arise nowadays appear even more disturbing considering that people were once able to "just play" and otherwise be friendly towards each other, no matter if a regular or a casual.

Thoughts?

Kind regards.

2. brixCore

brixCore Member

I can definitely relate to what you're saying, although i'm - in comparison - really new to the gaming community.
    In my opinion the reason for all of this is gaming becoming more and more mainstream, as it became an intregal part of the youths life (me included). This leads into a changing mindset about "digital communication" overall, as the way we communicate changes with the target group of games. Do you get what im trying to say?

EndOfFears likes this.
  3. PesteK

PesteK Member

Also i feel like there has been a big bad butterfly effect going on. More and more people feel save to insult others forgeting that on the other side of screen there is another human. After beeing trashtalked, you may tilt and in next game flame a bit on another person and this thing goes on and on.

JebemGaJa, brixCore and EndOfFears like this.