1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelling queue is taking too long

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boris, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Boris

Boris Member

Hello,

I'm not sure in which section should i write about this, so i've chosen the general one.

Is it possible to make cancelling queue faster, if possible instant?

There are already too many times when something occurs or i simply decide to take some time off and quit the game, but in these cases a game is found 1-2 seconds after i click on "Cancel". Thanks!

2. EpvpDani

EpvpDani Developer Staff Member

Hey,

while I understand the concern with the long cancel time there is a reason behind this.

Basically the matchmaking is now a blackbox running on a third party service. When your client queues up it will create a ticket that will be evaluated by the matchmaking blackbox and eventually matched with other pending tickets.
    Now the problem is that the way how this third party service is built is that the client has to poll the status of that ticket every 7 seconds.
    This means if you instantly cancel a match and just stop looking for a match the blackbox might considered you for a match. So if you just drop out of the queue without checking if you were matched there might be a game found were other players are waiting for you and will get stuck at "x/y players ready".

So currently the client will check if it got matched before it cancels the queue to not interrupt matched games because in the past we had a lot of complaints were people would find a game but then had to requeue because someone dropped out of queue.

At the moment I'm not really sure how to improve the situation because just cancelling/ignoring any found games sucks for everyone in the long run.

So basically if you found a match after you pressed cancel you most likely got matched earlier but wouldve only found out 7 seconds later at last.

3. Boris

Boris Member

Hi and thanks for the answer!

Is it possible to modify the polling time for this service to be less than 7 seconds or it is hard-coded?

4. EpvpDani

EpvpDani Developer Staff Member

The limit of 7 seconds is because the API limit of the third party service provider has a maximum of 10 calls per minute (max 1 call each 6 seconds) - to prevent throttling and more errors in the client we poll every 7 seconds to have a buffer in case there are additional calls for whatever reason, so unfortunately we can't really do much about this right now