1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Priority List

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jules, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

In an effort to be transparent, we're listing major development tasks on our backlog.
    • Changing priorities is a natural part of development
    • We can't give specific timelines but can confidently say these are tasks we want to complete
    • Only major tasks are listed. Bug-fixing, stability improvements, game balancing, and other tweaks are always in progress. We strive to improve the game every day.
    • Low priority doesn't mean unimportant; it means the value-to-cost is lower than that of other tasks
    • Different tasks take different amounts of time, and many tasks are worked on in parallel. Often, we will complete a lower priority task before a higher priority task.
    Very High Priority
    1. Shop
    2. Guilds
    3. Divine legion
    High Priority
    1. Chat improvements
    2. Streamer improvements
    3. Server scalability
    4. Accessibility improvements
    Medium Priority
    1. New game trailer
    2. UI 2.0
    3. Performance optimization
    4. Custom Games 2.0 - Names, passwords, and more game options
    Low Priority
    1. Linux support

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. Themryon

Themryon Member

Can you elaborate how this correlates with your priority list of begin this month:
    Or is your new post the "new" priority list?

3. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

I think everything we post should generally "overwrite" whatever was said in the past.

But in this case, it seems pretty consistent with what is in that post. This post is a priority list (which is sorted by importance), while the other post you quoted is a rough timeline (sorted by estimated date - before early access vs. during early access).

A.Crowley, Jules and Themryon like this.
  4. Cornep

Cornep Member

Great to have an up to date list!

Looks like the best things are focused on (imo)!

A.Crowley and Lisk like this.
  5. awesomeful

awesomeful Member

I'm excited for these

6. Flo

Flo Member

Hm, this sounds great. 5th Legion is exciting.
    Matchmaking 2.0 looks interesting, but I hope we won't have to wait too much for a fair game tho.

7. Cornep

Cornep Member

Just to add, I think the reconnect feature is pretty essential, for both consistent game quality, and for first impressions for the new players. I hear it is a very big thing to make happen, but first impressions are pretty much what makes or breaks an indie game. ( Maybe not not with legion td as it has an existing reputation, but still significant)

8. AsK

AsK Member

As talked to Jules, giving some feedback on what i feel that should be priority from the list

Very High Priority

1. Progression 2.0 - Improved leveling-up system and achievements
    2. Launch Trailer
    3. FairPlay 2.0 - Automated suspension of players that intentionally lose games
    4. Mercenaries 2.0 - Reduced RNG with mercenaries
    5. Matchmaking 2.0 - Waiting longer to find fairer games
    High+ Priority
    1. Reconnect - This one should be priority number one after the 5 above are done(hopefully) before early access is out. Dream scenario would be all those 6 features are done for the early access.

High Priority
    1. Spectator
    2. Bots 2.0 - Improved bot AI and difficulty settings
    3. HUD 2.0 - Improved in-game user interface
    4. Enchantments - Pre-game specs
    Medium Priority
    1. Powerups - In-game upgrades
    2. Legion Select - Improved system for selecting your legion
    3. Tutorial
    Low Priority
    1. Localization - Translating the game into other languages
    2. Guilds
    3. Cosmetics - Should be done together with the definitive launch together with some other cool skins.
    4. 5th Legion - Personally i think it would be good for the game for this to come out together with the game so it adds more hype to it.

9. deutscherhawk

deutscherhawk Moderator

I personally think in terms of importance:

Tier 1:
    Reconnect. Doesn't effect me but almost every new player I've seen says something along the lines of "wait, they don't have reconnect???".

Matchmaking 2.0. Definitely would rather wait an extra minute to get a fairer game. This will mainly effect stacks I feel, since solo queue tends to get fairly matched.

Launch Trailer. On second thought this is probably most important. Gotta hype the game to promote it.

Tier 2:
    Progression 2.0. Definitely needed to enhance player interest, but I think the above features would benefit actual gameplay more.

Spectator. One of the best ways to promote is streaming and bring able to jump in and watch @Koszatek play versus @ithion would be huge, especially when tournaments start happening.

Fair Play 2.0. I haven't had too many instances of afk/leaving recently.

Mercenaries 2.0. I'm fine with the current system but I know the RNG really turns new players off.

HUD 2.0. While I'm fine with the current one, id love to see an update.

Tier 3:

All the new content. Enchantment, legion, powepowers,

Tier 4:
    Everything else.

Now again, this is strictly a "value" assessment in my mind. If something in t3 takes 30 seconds to implement and the stuff in t1 takes 2 weeks, it should probably be done first.

Zgeembo and Jules like this.
  10. Themryon

Themryon Member

I personally don't understand why Bots 2.0 is such a high priority.
    My humble opinion:
    1) Bots are expected to do dumb things anyway, so you can not lose with having "bad" bots.
    2) Other games don't necessarily incorporate bots when a player leaves, sometimes you can take over the bot when you die (in fps games)
    3) I don't want bots to become too good. I would hate it if i have played like 30 games and bots are still better than me
    4) If bots become too good, higher ranked people (than noobs) have one more reason to be toxic: "plz leave, bot is better and will help me win".

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    A.Crowley and Mosl like this.
  11. Jules

Those are valid concerns.

My thoughts:
    • Our priority list reflects both value and cost. Bots 2.0 is relatively low cost compared to features like Matchmaking 2.0, Reconnect, and Enchantments.
    • We could theoretically make bot skill scale with the Elo of the leaving player, but it might be tricky and could cause issues, so we'd probably just keep them at a baseline skill. Bots would be weak but consistent players that follow the team's calls.
    • It's less about making bots more skilled and more about giving them a basic understanding of strategy. For example, right now, bots don't take into account at all if the opposing team is saving. We would give bots that ability but still make sure they are relatively unskilled.
    • Some players enjoy playing against bots. We want to create Easy, Medium, Hard, and Insane difficulty bots. Easy bots would help new players learn the game. Insane bots would be a challenge even for skilled players and could be a fun break from the stresses of PvP.

A.Crowley and GvR Mr Mister like this.
  12. Themryon

Themryon Member

Thanks for the detailled explanation! Now this makes more sense to me. And I am still amazed and I love it that you guys take the time to listen en respond to the community!

A.Crowley, Mr. Kisstouch and Jules like this.
  13. ithion

ithion Member

Thx I just steal this from you my friend=)

Very High Priority
    1. Progression 2.0 - Rather swap this with #5 (matchmaking 2.0)
    2. Launch Trailer - Well duh we need some players=D
    3. FairPlay 2.0 - Is this super important atm? Can't you have some trusted free of charge moderators that goes thrue the reports?=p
    4. Mercenaries 2.0 - Mostly a fun change imho. I mean, nice and all with testing and seeing new stuff (for me of all people variation is lovely but still..I could survive with the merc system never changing)
    5. Matchmaking 2.0 - This however have made me tear my hair off. The only thing that makes me play the game before this is fixed is that I need level 10 before alpha ends...
    High+ Priority
    1. Reconnect - Do not agree with AsK here but maybe it has to do with how often we experience dc's =p
    High Priority
    1. Spectator - Super fun feature
    2. Bots 2.0 - Improved bot AI and difficulty settings
    3. HUD 2.0 - Improved in-game user interface
    4. Enchantments - As long as this is fixed before the vast majority of old legion td fans (sc2,wc3 etc) gets the game i'm satisfied. Those of us who already play the game and know it's coming can wait for it but if you could avoid people getting their first impression without any enchantments implemented I think it would be really good.
    Medium Priority
    1. Powerups - In-game upgrades
    2. Legion Select - Improved system for selecting your legion
    3. Tutorial - Could be low priority... I mean the community seems to be able to deal with it somehow...
    Low Priority
    1. Localization - Translating the game into other languages
    2. Guilds - Why is this so low? High Cost? I still miss information on how it is going to work etc. Curious about these.
    3. Cosmetics - Should be done together with the definitive launch together with some other cool skins.
    4. 5th Legion - Personally i think it would be good for the game for this to come out together with the game so it adds more hype to it.

Jules likes this.
  14. Themryon

Themryon Member

@ithion personally i think if you implement reconnect, this partly solves the fairplay problem. If you have reconnect, people cant leave a game for another game because they will be put in the same game again.

A.Crowley and Mosl like this.
  15. ithion

ithion Member

Isn't that already the case? That they have to wait for the game they left to end before they can start another?

deutscherhawk likes this.
  16. Themryon

Themryon Member

I think so yes, but what i mean is: They have an improved fairplay mechanism on Very High Priority, and Reconnect is lower priority (high).
    If you implement reconnect you can discard some work in the fairplay system because it isn't necessary anymore. So what I am saying is that the two are somewhat connected, and maybe reconnect should have an even higher priority than Fairplay 2.0.
    I replied to you because you give the impression of not finding reconnect important (but then again, you also don't find the fairplay 2.0 not important...)

A.Crowley likes this.
  17. olabertil

olabertil Member

Will base my priorities on what I feel is the most important for myself but mostly for new players, what feels good for them and what would be good to get more new players etc.

Super High Priority
    1. Matchmaking 2.0 - Goes without saying. People need to be matched with the same ELO or be able to choose what elo-range they can be matched with in the options. Feel like this is most important for new and old players.
    2. Mercenaries 2.0 - Feel like there aren't that many options and people tend to use the same mercenaries over and over. Mostly for old players, it would be nice with a change makes the game feel less stale and more diverse. Think newer players would appreciate it as well.
    3. Launch Trailer - Not sure how many people a trailer will attract. I feel like the main draw from the game will come from streams, good reviews, recommendations and WC3 players. People don't generally play TD games because they are visually spectacular and story driven with great cutscenes but play them for the gameplay.
    The reason I removed progression and fairplay from Very high is because I feel like the energy should go into those 3 things alone. Fairplay is actually decent at the moment, it has gotten better IMO. The main issue that makes it seem broken is matchmaking as a whole.
    Progression is not important at all in my opinion. Sure achievements are fun and all but not needed to make the game better.

Very High Priority

1. Reconnect - Goes without saying. People can leave for various reasons; Crashes, random drop in internet, rage quit, bugs etc. Reconnect is a feature that must be there to feel safe, especially since there is a rating system in place. By placing this higher than bots it makes the bot change less significant.

High Priority
    1. Spectator - If we want the game to be competitive, have local tournaments, have people streaming through spectate and commenting on the match we need spectator. Think it's an important change in order to help the game grow and be taken seriously.
    2. Bots 2.0 - Bots right now are braindead... To a really big extent. They really need to be improved in all aspects. I am not a programmer but I get that this might be super hard to program and take a longer time than a lot of other changes.
    3. Enchantments - Feel like it's SUPER important to really draw in new players and make them keep playing. It's also nice for older players to get a breath of fresh air. Most important is that it adds to the depth of the game, the fact that you can apply your own touch. It changes so much, it's definitely needed for sure.
    4. Powerups - Same as above! Not as important but still really important as it will make the game feel less empty, more things to learn, more things to explore and play with.
    5. 5th Legion - Similar as the 2 prior. Not as important as we have 4 legions already but that can get boring pretty fast. Another element the 5th legion will add to tournaments is if there is a requirement that "No one in the team can pick the same legion" it makes it so you have to actually discard a legion. Now you have 4 legions and you have to pick one each.
    Medium Priority
    1. Fairplay 2.0 - Important in every game that has online play. There are toxic people and it needs repercussion, they need warnings to improve the community before it's too late. Look at Overwatch; they didn't really care a lot about reports etc and now the community is toxic beyond repair in every rank.
    2. Legion Select - This is targeted at the newer players. It can be hard to choose a legion just based of the name, they really need information about what each legion stands for and what symbolizes the specific legion. This should be one of the easier implementations.
    3. HUD 2.0 - Also aimed at new players. It's good to have as much info as possible, should also have the chance to turn off certain parts of the HUD in options if you don't need them as an experienced player.
    4. Tutorials - Would place this higher as it can be crucial to learn the game and would help out many players. The issue is that MANY people don't really care about tutorials and will never play them unless they are made mandatory. Still important to have.
    Low Priority
    1. Matchmaking 2.0 - Don't really get why this is so important since it's such a small part of the game and doesn't affect it when playing. It's just a fun thing to have. Also achievements could make people pick certain things in MM just to get an achievement and totally ruin the match... Just keep that in mind. That's why LoL didn't implement it I think even though they planned to do it back in season 2/3. I might be wrong but feel free to correct me Jules.
    2. Cosmetics - People L O V E cosmetics, the more the better. It will make people more hooked to the game and will make people grind as there is something to strive towards. Doesn't matter if you have it for only in game currency or both it's still a good idea.
    3. Guilds - Fun thing to have in the game. Don't know what purpose they will serve but still a fun thing to have.
    4. Localization - I might be a bit biased since I know English fairly well but I believe that most people do. Most people understand English to a certain extent when playing online games. This is also pretty difficult, to translate everything to a few languages is going to take some time depending on how many. I feel like the most important one should probably be Russian at the moment.

Lisk and Jules like this.
  18. Jules

Updated priority list:
    • Progression 2.0 completed
    • Mercenaries 2.0 completed
    • Reconnect 1.0 added to Very High Priority

A.Crowley and AsK like this.
  19. KoriFee

KoriFee Member

Cosmetics: it should be visible to see, who u sending to, and maybe either with the -send (like jules suggested on the discord) or when u press tab u have the names of ur team and an arrow the color u sending to or so possible visiblity on to send to whom.jpg

20. Gawil

Gawil Member

About localization, I don't know if you've already planned things, but I'd be glad to help for French translation :)

EndOfFears and Jules like this.