1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else hate the meta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BeepBoop, Jun 10, 2020.

1. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Member

I'm not talking about any specific meta or "remember that one season where X unit was really strong"

I mean when teams coordinate on sending so you have to squash your own economy to handle it. And you do the same so their economy is low.

With low economies both teams have very few units to build. So only the top performing units for rounds 1 - 12 are chosen (a lot of my games are over by 12 lately).

I feel like I don't get to experiment or I risk leaking a ton. I don't feel like I have a path to playing the "boost my own economy" style of play that I am interested in.

I'm not a high rank - just high enough that games have stopped making it past round 15 due to really solid coordinated sending.

Am I just unaware of my options? Does anyone else hate the lack of options and feeling like they have to go for the meta choices all the time?

2. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

You're right that early game units are important, but it's also beneficial to have a late-game plan. When I pick my units, I try to get some combo that will come online later in the game. Some combos include Leviathan + Sky Queen, MPS + Doomsday Machine, Starcaller + Soul Gate, Deathcap + Sorcerer, Lost Chieftain + Green Devil/Arctaire, and there are many more.

In some sense, you can "make your own meta." For example, I frequently send high-income mercenaries; I might send 7 of the first 10 waves. This typically leads to high-income games that go to late game. On average, 1% of games go to wave 21 in ranked, but ~4% of my games go to 21 because of this playstyle. Most of my games go past wave 12.

If you prefer playing longer games or using late-game combos, I would recommend a similar playstyle with frequent high-income mercenary sends. Keep in mind to make it work, you need to train workers aggressively.

3. foliesseer

foliesseer Member

I don't really like the current meta either, but for different reasons.

You make two points in this post, which are:
    1. Low Income games usually don't last very long, usually ending before 15.
    2. You don't get to experiment a lot, and are forced to use

Personally I don't really mind this because this is just what happens when the gameplay is based around "save a lot of Mythium to send a big group of mercenaries to kill your opponent". The only other option available is to income send and rack up eco and that takes away a lot of the skill required to play the game. Income sending might be viable in the future if we get 4v4 ranked but that will take some time.

Yes and no. I am currently 2000 and I still experiment a lot with my builds. And sometimes that means I leak a lot early into the game and lose 14 elo, but I learn a lot more about the game:
    [​IMG]
    I might lose a lot, but eventually I'll earn back my ELO anyway so I just keep on experimenting with builds.

However, at the same time I mostly stick to my "safe" picks like Sand Badger, Grarl and Fire Elemental because they are the units everyone picks. I can see how my enemy uses the unit, how my teammates uses the unit and I gain experience by using the unit myself. Although now that I am slowly getting into the higher ELO range, I feel like that I have to adapt and come up with more unique setups because my opponents know exactly how to make me leak.

Thus in conclusion, I think it's more about the player and how much he chooses to experiment with his builds, and if he is willing to lose ELO.

Now, talking about hating the meta, can we please delete Violet from the game :D? It's a pretty strong to get on 2, but it does have it's weaknesses if you send smart. However, what bothers me the most is that 50% of the games I play there is someone with a Windhawk and some random T1's in his lane so he can go Violet on 2. It's getting extremely stale to be playing against the same builds for half of my games...

4. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Member

Thanks for the reply.

I just finished a game where my opponent saved 160 myth and sent stuff on turn 7. I had to sit with 5 workers until turn 7 and was pretty behind all game. I didn't really get to taste the late game. Our economies were both so messed up the game ended on 15.

Because I chose to build defense till he spent - we handled it and went on to win. But I was way behind and my team mate was fed and had the experience I wanted (building tons of stuff and maxing out econ).

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if only one player from each team could send at a time. Then if you leak your team mate shouldn't and can scoop up the leaks (without reduced gold unless they get to your king). I think that would push things towards the economy direction and take a lot of stress and economy play off the early game. Maybe dual sending unlocks later on. But then again I'm trying to have fun at a very casual level and I imagine lots of players are enjoying the high meta, high coordination sending gameplay. For me, the higher I climb in the ranking the less fun the game gets.

5. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

One tip: try getting more workers early game. 160 mythium sounds like a 3-wave save. Before he started saving, you could have been at 6 workers instead of 5. It might not sound like much, but that's a big difference and enough to make you fed. Extra workers are risky, but taking risks is part of the game, and the longer they save while you are up on workers, the better it is for you.

Keep in mind that it's also okay to leak. If I had to choose between being at 5 workers and clearing wave 7 send or being at 6 workers and leaking 40% on wave 7, I'd pick the latter. 40% sounds like a lot, but being +1 worker for 3 waves is a huge advantage and more than enough to make up for the leak.

I think as you climb the ladder, you'll be able to push your limits and get fed more often :)

6. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Member

Thanks for the perspective, I do appreciate the response.

I think I'll end up just playing at the start of seasons until I rank up. I love the games where both teams have like 13 workers before 10. Any game where we're struggling to get 10 workers before 10 just feel disappointing to me. But I also get that I'm likely in the minority and others may not mind the shorter games.