1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum is for new unit and legion ideas, not for general discussion about the game.
    Dismiss Notice

Faster Game Mode - Idea

Discussion in 'Design Room' started by BeepBoop, Jun 4, 2020.

1. BeepBoop

BeepBoop Member

If anyone has played Dota Underlords you probably saw them roll out the "Knock Out" mode. Knock Out took the existing game, tweaked it, and turned it from a 45 minute experience to about 5 - 10 minutes. It did this by giving you more resources up front and a higher income. It also changed the health system to a "if you lose 4 times you're out" rather than a health pool.

I think the same idea could be applied to Legion TD 2. How it could work:

Start the game with 600 gold
    An extra 4 mastermind unit rolls
    Income starts at 200
    If your team leaks 5 times you lose
    Start off by immediately choosing your level 10 perk
    Workers generate 3X myth

Just as some examples. You could probably get a lot of the same RNG fun that this game provides but in a smaller time frame. And with the large amount of resources upfront you could try reeeaaallly experimental builds since you don't have to play it so defensively (always worrying about that meta wave send in the early game).

Curious to hear people's thoughts on this. I ended up getting sick of the regular Underlords game and switched to playing Knock Out and I played it a ton so this could be a way to boost casual player base and give people who are burning out something else to have fun with.

GvR Mr Mister likes this.
  2. A.Crowley

A.Crowley Member

Interesting. And the wave sends twice as many enemies?

3. Darktarant

Darktarant Member

i dont think this translates very well into LTD 2 but isnt chaos / x2 mode something that comes very close to what you are suggesting? also this games usually didnt go further than wave 10 most of the time iirc. At least if players try to win ^^

A.Crowley likes this.
  4. A.Crowley

A.Crowley Member

Yea, can't wait to try out chaos x2 mode, if it's like that.
    In the StarCraft 2 version of this game, they had a Chaos x3 mode, and you started with double the gold. It really took off, played like a totally different dynamic even though it was the same base game.

The only thing I worry about with all these different game mode ideas is if there's too many choices, the community will be split up and too many players will be waiting in ques because they aren't in the same game modes. Then they'll give up and not come back. Too much waiting in ques kills a game like nothing else.

5. Darktarant

Darktarant Member

you can try chaos x2 right now in custom games
    or you just wait until its featured again

6. A.Crowley

A.Crowley Member

I see chaos mode but I don't see a x2 option in customs. I thought I read that was coming soon

7. Darktarant

Darktarant Member

oh yeah i thought i saw x2 but i guess i saw something else LOL.

A.Crowley likes this.
  8. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

You saw x2 in customs before. It just was removed a couple of patches ago, because it could cause serverwide lag. Until this is handled better, it won't be back in custom games.

9. Mick

Mick Member

I really like this idea. Also variations of that, starting the game on wave 11 and 16 would be great in my opinion. Should lead to some crazy and fun games =)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    GvR Mr Mister likes this.