1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Translate Legion TD 2!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jules, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

2018_0723_translate.jpg

We've got great news! The translation backend is done, thanks to a lot of hard work from Lisk. That means we're ready to translate the game.

To be a translator, we ask that you:
    • Speak English proficiently
    • Speak another language natively fluently
    • Have played at least 20 hours of Legion TD 2
    To edit or add a translation:
    1. Go to LegionTD2.com/translate
    2. If your language is not listed, contact @Jules in our #translations Discord channel
    3. Translate the column that says english (reference) directly into the adjacent column that says "german," "russian", spanish," or whatever language you're translating to. Do not edit any of the other columns.
    4. Your updated translation should show up the following patch
    Details:
    • Keep but do not translate functions and references, such as $1, $2, $3, |c(ffcc00): |r, |img(icons/Brute.png), |n, |proper(), |amp
      • For example, only the bolded parts should be translated: |c(ffebad): wants to research |img($1) $2 (|rNeed |img(icons/Mythium.png) |c(33ffff): $3|r|c(ffebad): )|r
    • In general, don't worry about perfectly "accurate" translations. Think about what would feel most natural to native speakers of your language. It's okay to keep some words in English if that is best.
    • Names should be translated with extra care. For example, think about what "Grarl" or "Arcane" or "Mind Warp" should be named in your native language. It's okay to keep some names in English if that is best.
    • If you have questions or need additional context for a particular translation, feel free to ask here or in our #translations Discord channel
    We're excited to finally translate Legion TD 2 and are confident this will help grow the game. Thank you to everyone who contributes to the translations.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Robert Mends, Larrax, Curing and 2 others like this.
  2. Robert Mends

Robert Mends Member

Hey! I can finally work on something! One question: should the translations be made right away in the Google Doc you posted or in a copy somewhere first?

3. Jules

Thanks for asking. You can translate directly into the Google Doc. I've updated the main thread to make that clearer.

4. BarCodeDoge

BarCodeDoge Member

5. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

On my way to translate it in french since french people are newbie in english :p

Ceeboz and Jules like this.
  6. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

PT-BR all by myself, here i come. Yolo.

Jules likes this.
  7. Larrax

Larrax Member

For all the volunteers, it might be a good idea not to reinvent the wheel. Inspiration could be taken from the translated version of Warcraft 3. However, I have not yet been able to find the file containing the localized strings (if such file even exists). If someone was more successful, I am sure it would make the translations much more consistent.

Meanwhile, I also found (although quite old) extracted localized strings from several languages in World of Warcraft, which could be useful as well.

8. Themryon

Themryon Member

How are you going to "check" that these translations are correct? And how are you going to maintain it?
    For example i already see a spelling mistake. And what if you add a unit with abilities needed to translate?

9. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

Request editing access and correct them or comment on sections you disagree with. Also Jules said on Discord: If you're confident someone else's translation is wrong or not ideal, feel free to overwrite.

The quality will be a community effort, so the more people proofread translations and make suggestions on how to improve certain aspects, the better they will turn out.

Probably similar to how typos etc. are getting improved right now, by users reporting issues. These translations probably won't be perfect first try, but it's a start for sure. Can always keep improving them. I'd imagine the first iteration will get plenty of feedback from players that don't check forum/discord, but will play the game in their native language.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Seraphin likes this.
  10. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

It's pretty cool we get to see stuff that isn't released yet also! :D

11. Ascaloth

Ascaloth Member

If you need help let me know :)

Nacccho likes this.
  12. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

@Jules there are some disparities in some definitions that might cause some confusion.
    Where in hero it says: "This unit is a Hero. It has +500 health and adjacently-deployed allies gain +6% damage and +6% damage reduction."
    Sorcerer "This unit is a Sorcerer. It has +500 health and nearby allies gain +20% spell damage"

Shouldn't sorcerer state adjacently-deployed units aswell?

13. Zhenia

Zhenia Member

I dont speak english, but beg. Dont need translete name unit. Only specification.

14. Jules

Yes, Sorcrerer's tooltip should be changed. For the translation, feel free to translate it either way. I'll update the English one next patch.

15. foliesseer

foliesseer Member

Doesn't translating the game bring a new problem though? People that don't speak English are unable to ask for help on the forums and can't properly help with bug reports. Especially if you have such a big issue like the brown screen bug where you want the user to test certain stuff out or need specific information from them... How do you guys plan on handling this?

Seraphin likes this.
  16. Jules

It's going to have some costs, but I think the benefits of a larger player base outweigh those costs. We'll provide a screenshot tutorial on how to upload logs and eventually recruit more bilingual moderators!

Robert Mends, Nacccho and foliesseer like this.
  17. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

I speak portuguese, spanish, english and some german btw :p
    Just, ya know, getting this out...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Jules likes this.
  18. foliesseer

foliesseer Member

Jokes on you, I speak Dutch, English and Pirate! I bet yar didn't expect that, matey?

Saber and Nacccho like this.
  19. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

I think you can indeed ask some people who speak well english and a native language to do the translation for you. And anyways, I'm sure you will always find someone who will translate even if nobody asks him. So, no worries to have about this I think.
    Anyways, I'm okay to do the translation from French->English if you need Jules ;)

20. nickjick

nickjick Member

Yeah, I think it's also important to realize that, although not ideal, people can properly communicate through google translate, just may not sound the best, but I think google translate does a good job of getting the point across. Even if wrong words are used, people should get the jist of what you are saying.

For example, the things I wrote is translated pretty well in German. Not to mention there are plenty of people (Myself and Dani for example) that are fluent in both English and Deutsch etc. As the community grows more people like that speak English and their native language will appear.

Just for those germans that want to see what Google Translate came up with:
    Ja, ich denke, es ist auch wichtig zu erkennen, dass, obwohl nicht ideal, die Leute richtig über Google Translate kommunizieren können, nur vielleicht nicht das beste klingen, aber ich denke, dass Google Translate einen guten Job macht, den Punkt zu vermitteln. Selbst wenn falsche Worte verwendet werden, sollten die Leute die Aussage von dem bekommen, was du sagst.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.