1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isn't matchmaking completely off now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zbigniew, May 15, 2020.

1. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Member

I'm not the one to complain about teammates and I don't really care about ranking. I'm far from the best in this game, I'd say I'm average.

However, this week has been crazy. I've been playing more than usual and no matter when I play during the day - my teammates always suck. We are talking losing the game on his own, no way for me to carry.

I'm not feeding the opponent, and in the last couple of games I've had around 4/0 at wave 10-11. But it's impossible for me to carry someone who has 0/5 at wave 10 and continues to feed them.

Either I'm quiet or I'm being polite and try to give them tips on what's to come. So I'm no bully.

This week I've probably lost 8 out of 10 games and 95% early on, because of my teammate leaking and feeding.

I think the matchmaking was good 2 weeks ago. But now it's getting boring, as it doesn't seem to be any way for me to change the outcome of the game, at all. The pairing seem to have changed for the worse, even though my ranking is/was the same as before. Of course, it has dipped down a lot now because of all the losses during the week.

This is for 2v2s.

Is this a known issue and if so, will it be fixed soon? Am I just extremely unlucky in the matching? It happens so often that it feels wrong, it wasn't like this before.

2. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Member

Impulsive idea:

Wouldn't it be possible to release a 1v1 segment? Perhaps give both sides the same builders plus 1 or 2 unique buildings that the other side doesn't have?

3. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Hey Zbigniew,

Nothing with matchmaking really changed recently, but we did get an influx of around 3000 new players in the past 2 weeks. That likely explains some of the worse-than-expected teammates. I looked up your account, and you have a good rating but still in the range where you can occasionally match with new and lower-rated players. In the future, when the player base is larger, we plan to tighten matchmaking to create fairer games and less frustration. In the meantime, keep at it, and you'll climb up and get more consistent teammates. Not all games are carryable, but I'd say most are.

We'd like to try 1v1 as a featured game mode in the future!

Cheers,
    Jules

4. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Member

Hi Jules,

Cheers for the quick reply.

That makes sense. I started looking at my teammates rankings and I could see that some of them played their 4-5th game ever. So I guess I must have dipped down to a ranking bracket where I am in the same "league" as them. That would explain it.

I fully understand that the player base might not be the biggest, so it only makes sense that someone like me would play with the newcomers - as I am hardly among the top guys. Also nice that 3k new players joined.

Have a nice weekend.

Zibi

Jules likes this.
  5. Boris

Boris Member

*Coughs in praying that your 2200 teammate is not an idiot*

I'd say that matchmaking is at its best right now. Yes, you can say that at 2500-2600 elo it's harder to find an even match, but yesterday me and another player, basically with the same elo 2548 and 2549, we were queue'd at the same time and this would be so obvious that at this rating we would play at least one vs the other. But suddenly he gets queued in a game with a lot less elo players, playing for 4 elo.
    @Jules Here is the game id, since i recall you don't like mentioning nicknames in the forums, you can check if you want. I swear we were queued at the same time and the team he played against was not even a duo.
    upload_2020-5-20_9-53-54.png

6. Darktarant

Darktarant Member

i just recently had a game where i as 1500 rating played with someone 2200 rating vs a 1200 and a 2500 guy
    This is fine ^^

so basically even at 2500 rating you can get matched up with "new players" if you que at the wrong time of the day

7. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Sorry for that experience. Ultimately, it's impossible for matchmaking to be good for top 0.1% players when there are 100 players online. No changes to the matchmaking algorithm will fix that. At least one player, likely the 2500 player, waited 10 minutes for that match. Next patch, there are some matchmaking improvements, and matches like the one you experienced will be less likely to happen.

8. Darktarant

Darktarant Member

i mean i queued at a time wich was probably as far from peak hours as it gets. And sure for the top players it will always be either insanely long queue times or big diferences in skill and probably a mix of both in most games