1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neznidalibor, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. neznidalibor

neznidalibor Member

Hi to anyone who is reading this, I have a quick question regarding running this game on rigs running Linux.
    Has anyone had any luck with this? I was thinking about buying the game and having a go at it myself, but the price is a bit too high considering it might not work.

I've come across a wine entry here, but that one is for the beta version, no way of knowing if this works with the current state of things. There were some other posts on this forum regarding this, but none touched on the subject of wine as far as I've seen, sorry for the duplicate post if I was too lazy to dig deeper. :)

In any case, I hope that someone can provide some feedback regarding this, I know that native Linux support is low on the priority list, but running the game using wine would be pretty good for any Linux enthusiast.

UPDATE #1:
    Bought the game and had relative success with running it on Ubuntu 17.10. which is mentioned in the winedb entry. The game installs fine and manages to run but after that you are greeted with a black screen with only the mouse pointer visible. Clicking around does however produce two different responses:
    1. clicking around the center of the screen closes the game, my guess is that this is the exit/close button when you fail to connect
    2. clicking around the center of the screen opens this forum in a new browser window, at this moment I have no idea how this happens, I guess it's some clickable link in the main menu when you manage to get past the login

Going to continue updating as I go along, installed the game on a windows machine as well in hopes of figuring out the layout of the screen a bit better.

UPDATE #2:
    Figured out where to click after starting the game, but for some reason, clicking the confirm button on the first splash screen does not yield any results. This is strange considering that if you click on the link it opens a browser window. Still experiencing a black screen as well.
    Will put more time into this during the weekend most likely.

UPDATE #3:
    Finally got this to work without constant flickering! Yay!
    As it is now, the game is playable, frame rate is pretty stable and I've managed to reduce the flickering issue(if it does occur for anyone trying this).
    Setup used was as follows:

Wine version 2.20-staging
    Installs Windows version of Steam without issues, game runs, but you could experience a black screen after the initial splash logo.
    If that happens, steam might have failed installing some libraries so you'd have to install them manually.

The following libraries helped in my case:
    d3dx9
    d3dx10
    vcrun2012
    vcrun2013

You can install these by using winetricks, pretty straightforward to do it.

This allowed consistent menu rendering and no black screen after splash, I was able to change game settings and even play just fine.

The flickering issue occurred for me after about 10-15 minutes of running the game, could be that my computer is just plain old and miserable and can't handle this, could be something else.
    One thing that appears to have fixed this issue is ticking "Enable_CSMT for better graphic performance" in winecfg, under Staging tab.
    This reduces flickering drastically, happens once every 10 minutes or even less frequently.

Not sure about what causes the game to get darker at one point, seems to be random. Occurs after the game has been running for at least 30 minutes and the game just gets really dark, this was also mentioned in the Winehq entry.
    No current workaround for this.

Will continue trying stuff out but this is definite progress, at least from my side. :)

Hardware this was tested on:
    Intel Core2Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    GeForce GTX 650
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    120GB SSD (not sure that this even matters)

Software used:
    Intel firmware for CPU
    xserver-xorg-video-nouveau display driver for GPU

Everything running on Ubuntu 17.10.

Newer machines might have better results, mine is pretty damn old. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Kermode Bear likes this.
  2. Towelie

Towelie Member

Hello There. First Post here and as it has already been discussed, i didnt want to open a new thread... However, Linux support was promised in the crowdfunding and i would be oh-so-glad to be able to play it as well, not only with the not-so-well-running wine workaround but with a real port to linux. @Jules and @Lisk any updates on linux support? :) i'd be veeery happy to hear you're still aiming to have it and i'd be sooo happy to play it on my machine soon :)

changing the subject: thanks for the great game, i tried it yesterday on a friend's computer for the first time and am veeeery happy to finally see it coming to life <3

3. Towelie

Towelie Member

P.S.: i'll also gladly help testing on linux :)

4. neznidalibor

neznidalibor Member

Hi there! :D

Glad someone finally responded to this post. :)
    I'm still working on this and I've tried a lot of wine versions to get it up and running, but so far, the farthest I've gotten is the AutoAttack games logo and the info about setting up wine is pretty rare...
    Would you mind sharing your setup? I'm trying wine 3.0rcs right now.

EDIT:
    Got it up and running, screen is flickering like crazy though... If anyone is trying this and has problems with seizures be warned.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Towelie likes this.
  5. Towelie

Towelie Member

Hi there. so far, i only tried the PlayOnLinux default config for steam which is wine version 2.12-staging, architecture x86. running on Ubuntu 17.04 with 4 gigs og video memory. rest was only presets by playonlinux, prerequisites for legion have been succesfully installed from steam.

It gives me some lags and the entire game is way too dark. didn't have that flickering screen issue anyhow. on a different machine, i wasn't able to get into the lobby at all. so, for now, it's not really playable due to the lags. so my main question would remain to be whether we get a native version or not :)

6. Towelie

Towelie Member

tried the setup now on a different machine with an nvidia GT720M. looking way worse than with a quadro video card. added some screenshots - it's not gonna be much fun like that :) it is also still very laggy.

7. neznidalibor

neznidalibor Member

Updated the first post, try some of that out.
    I'll update again with machine info soon. :)

Also, lol at the screens, seems like something went really wrong.

8. Towelie

Towelie Member

isn't helping for the problems i have, at least not until now. will also add updates if anything changes / improves

9. neznidalibor

neznidalibor Member

Took a long while to get around to play with LTD2 on Linux, almost forgot everything I did here and I'm sorry for digging out such an old thread, but there's some great progress being made by Valve for everyone that's a Linux gaming enthusiast.

ProtonDB has been brought to my attention recently and it made me motivated to try this out since LTD2 has some great ratings there: https://www.protondb.com/app/469600 which appear to be actually true and not the work of legend what was the case with Wine more often than not.

In short, the game works almost perfectly, got maybe 1-2fps less than on Windows, nothing is broken, no issues experienced whatsoever.

If anyone wants to try this out, you can do it pretty easily:
    1. get a distro that has it's own steam package, I think Ubuntu, Manjaro and Pop!_OS have them, correct me if I'm wrong
    2. download steam through the software center of the OS, I'm using Manjaro right now and it didn't work if I downloaded Steam from the web page for some reason
    3. check the bottom checkbox that says "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" and select the latest version of Proton
    Screenshot from 2019-05-29 00-25-24.png
    4. install and play the game

I did nothing more to get this to work, it's as simple as that at the moment!

Hope this helps and other people did not give up on playing this on Linux. :D

As a sidenote though, does this mean that the Linux support is getting pushed back on the priority list or not even being done? It might be a good idea to go that way since this is working fine and it would basically be a waste of time to port this to Linux. (please no pitchforks :( )