1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking At Legion: April Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by deutscherhawk, Apr 8, 2019.

1. deutscherhawk

deutscherhawk Moderator

Welcome back to the third installment of the development progress series (read March’s update here). The month of March was extremely productive for the game, and April is looking to be just as exciting. There’s three major subsections to cover here; first the development/background work that’s been accomplished, second is the content side, and third is looking at whats coming next.

Restructuring and Streamlining

As with a lot of the background development since Dani’s been hired, one of the main focuses this past month has been restructuring and reorganizing to ensure both Dani and Lisk can push forward; this is part of the continual integration of Dani into the team that has helped content development push forward as well. Specifically, the biggest restructuring was in the patch deployment process.

Previously, patches needed to be deployed specifically by Lisk as the project structure was particularly complex. This had several problems: First, if a hotfix needed to be implemented, it had to go specifically through Lisk, even if the fix was just adjusting a few numbers (i.e. small balance patches). This not only would require Lisk to stop working on his own side meaning patches would often get delayed if he was busy, it also meant that if Lisk was unavailable for whatever reason no patches could get processed at all!

To help streamline the patching process, the team has developed a far more automated system such that the other developers will be able to push a patch without having to wait for Lisk. This means that balance patches can be pushed through while content development is still in the works, and is overall far better suited to a project like Legion TD which requires frequent patching. The major downside to this new system is that it does take longer to deploy through the automated system, but for something like a hotfix where speed is a priority it can still be done manually if needed.

Content Coming!

We’re excited to say that the 7th legion has been fully designed and fleshed out, with Tier 1 being released in the recently announced 3.14 Patch! Later tiers are in the modeling/texturing process now! The Shrine legion looks to bring the realm of the dead to fight and defend your king! In addition to traditional content, the patch also announced the most recent featured game mode; a nostalgic callback to the hybrid builder of the original Legion TD! Continued development of the 7th legion will be the primary content focus for the next month.

Of course, we would be remiss if we did not recognize once again the work of KingDanzz, Operational Risk, and Marchombre in winning the third Masters Cup! Read a full breakdown summary of the Masters Cup here!

Future Development

The principle focus besides content updates in development is continuing development of Lobby 2.0. The current lobby system bottlenecks the number of the total players within the lobby server, with no way to boot up a second server without disconnecting the two (those on the second server would be unable to be matched or team up with people on the first). This is obviously unideal, and developing a scalable lobby server to allow for greater numbers of players is one of the biggest roadblocks to be handled in preparing for a F2P weekend to help drive up the playerbase.

The new iteration of the lobby server will attempt to outsource as much as possible (for instance Chat will run through a third party rather than directly through the lobby server), and ensure that multiple server instances will be able to communicate with each other. This process requires substantial restructuring of the server and game client, so the process is being broken down into several smaller modules which will be deployed individually; for instance, replacing the chat function while the remainder of the lobby remains unchanged. This will allow them to more smoothly alternate between deploying small scale lobby changes and content changes, rather than pushing off content until the lobby is fully prepared.

Finally, enjoy this sneak preview of the 2nd tier unit in the Shrine Legion!

[​IMG]

AppleBloom, Themryon, Mick and 7 others like this.
  2. Mick

Mick Member

Thanks for the update, really love hearing what's going on behind the scenes. About the part I quoted, it makes me curious. Wasn't this lobby system also there when there were ~- 3,000 players? Isn't that enough for now?

3. deutscherhawk

deutscherhawk Moderator

Lisk and Dani probably have the specifics here, but I think I can provide the general gist:

First, I don't remember the lobby server having more than 1000 at any time. I do remember directly post launch there being substantial issues with the lobby server as virtually no one could get in and they had to implement a rudimentary queue. I think this is the biggest reason behind this; on launch day LTD2 was one of the top games in Steam, but the lobby issues caused a lot of pushback because it was far more popular than Lisk or Jules had anticipated. This is attempting to learn from that mistake.

Secondly, even if the lobby server can maintain 3000 at one time, the worst thing in the world to have happen is to try and run a F2P weekend and have 10,000 people try to login and only a third of them be able. It would also artificially cap the growth of the game at just over the lobby limit, since understandably people would be less likely to play or attempt to play if they kept having to wait. All of that basically comes to the same purpose: The primary goal of the dev team right now is to increase the player base. That not only keeps the community growing, provides increased revenue and the related marketing increase (more players = more word of mouth etc), but also is the key to resolving arguably the primary complaint of the community right now; that being uneven matchmaking.

Themryon, EpvpDani and Mick like this.
  4. EpvpDani

EpvpDani Developer Staff Member

Well to be honest it would be still good (or better) if only a third would be able to play but the current situation (and also what happened at launch) would be probably worse because once the lobby hits 1000-3000 players it will keep hanging in a reboot loop or worse just crash and we have to manually reboot it until there are less players trying to login. So if there are too many players trying to play or just idling in the lobby at once nobody is able to play, not just the third thats on the server already.
    Theres just no way to scale the lobby currently and thats what we are going to fix, the release has clearly shown the issues of scalability and what can happen if there are too many players connected and we learned from the mistakes as hawk mentioned. And the sooner we get to it, the better it is for the game in the long run

So while some players are requesting a bigger marketing push or a bigger playerbase it would probably do more harm than good until we have a new lobby architecture

5. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Thank you for all information! That's really a good thing to share with us your current plans !

Cannot wait to see marketing progress and new feature in the game. I would like to point out again that it seems you develop really faster. Or, at least, you give us that impression.

Server Scalability is obviously necessary. Just to explain in an easy way to people, it's like :
    you have a night club which can accept 200 people in same time. But you have 2000 people who wants to enter into your night club. Since there are too much people who try to enter, you have to call the police to regulate the flow. First, you have to increase the size of your nightclub before be known and attack 2k people.
    That's exactly the same thing with Legion TD 2 and server scalability. :)

I hope this explanation will be understand by all who are not particularly technical ^^

6. Muaddib

Muaddib Member

I have a 1 year old baby, can't afford a NightClub :p Not the money, but the time :D

I have also an idea. I think we need some kind of a window that shows up the King's Upgrades. Like the type dmg/armor one. Or numbers of the Upgrades just below the King's HP.

Seraphin likes this.
  7. EpvpDani

Not sure if I understood correctly but isnt what you described this (orange/yellow squares):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Seraphin likes this.
  8. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

To prevent even more confusion,, its yellow squares ;)

Seraphin and EpvpDani like this.
  9. Muaddib

Muaddib Member

I know about the yellow squares. Can u add numbers?
    Example: Att - 6/10, Reg - 7/10, Spell - 10/10

10. EpvpDani

I think you can see it if you click the (enemy) king

Robert Mends, Seraphin and Bonny like this.
  11. Pennywise

Pennywise Member

Would there be a way to have the king spell tool tip show current damage numbers? E.g. you hover over the immolation spell and it says "Does 100 damage per second" etc.

Marchombre and GvR Mr Mister like this.
  12. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Hello !

Here to say that I cannot wait to get the topic of May :D I would like to get more information about this marketing push !

See you soon I hope; :)

13. Robert Mends

Robert Mends Member

@Seraphin
    I didn't realize it was May already :D. Now I'm on board of your hype train as well!

14. Marchombre

Marchombre Member

I guess there is still room for one more in that train ? :p

Schwingeling likes this.
  15. Themryon

Themryon Member

Bump. Where is that update boyz?

16. Robert Mends

Robert Mends Member

Yes please!

17. Marchombre

Marchombre Member

Maybe if we get this thread bumped everyday, it'll come :rolleyes:

18. Schwingeling

Schwingeling Member

19. Mick

Mick Member

Think you have more chance with tagging some moderators :D

20. Robert Mends

Robert Mends Member

Ok guys, now we need a "Looking at Forums: "Looking At Legion: May Update" progress" series to know when to expect the new post.

Themryon likes this.