1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking At Legion: August Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jitsuc4, Aug 28, 2019.

1. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

Welcome to this month’s Looking At Legion! If you’re interested in the previous episodes, check out last month’s post here. This time around the focus is on backend and behind the scenes work.

Game Servers 2.0
    After the reworked chat went live, a couple of minor issues and edge cases were fixed. Most of the development went into game servers 2.0, though. For that, the whole process from forming a match to starting the match has to be rewritten essentially to conform to the new api. The reason is that PlayFab has been acquired by Microsoft and in that process the server structure changed to Microsoft Azure. Currently the game still uses the old servers which run on Amazon. They could still be used in the future, but since they won’t receive bug fixes or new features, switching to the new structure is a better solution, even if there’s some drawback in the short run. Among other benefits, the new system will allow better server performance and debugging, but most importantly it will scale better with more players.

Rebranding and Marketing
    As mentioned last month, another aspect currently being worked on is rebranding the game. You can read more about that here.

Short term, the plan is to increasingly reach out to streamers and such and give out keys to people that are interested in promoting the game. Another aspect is building up communication with Steam’s marketing team. Long term, once the game client rework is done, i.e. better server scalability, larger marketing efforts and a free-to-play weekend will be possible.

Upcoming Tournament
    This time it’s not going to be normal mode games. Instead games will be using the recently featured 2x Chaos mode. There’s still some time to sign-up and everyone can participate, no rating requirements. All players that fully participate will receive a Mystery Card. Check out the the tournament thread for more information.

For this month's post we get another sneak peek to look forward to!

[​IMG]

2. Cornep

Cornep Member

Dogo/wolf/fox HYPE

3. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Could we have the Looking At Legion topic for September please ? :D :D

4. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Why would they make a new topic if there is nothing that hasnt been told a thousand times before. I mean, they haven't even released a new unit in the past 2 months! The pace of progress is absolutely shocking...

5. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

I would like to say "Fake news!" If we look at well, we go a new unit with Eternal Wanderer at the beginning of August, which means 1 month and half ago. Then, they launched some events (chaos mode) two week-end in a row and organize (actually it is me but still Auto Attack ^^) a tournament for ALL players.
    If we look at well also, we will see they pushed 4 patchs in more or less 2 month which means a patch every 2 weeks. Considering their work with new lobby, scalability, marketing work etc... I consider they are far from idle !!

However, I can understand your frustration that they does not push enough fast for you more contents. But don't forget they are only 4 at the moment ;)

Finaly, I would like to point out they ALWAYS said it will take a lot of time and energy for the lobby 2.0, scalability and chat 2.0. So I feel you're a bit unfair with them. Also, maybe you don't care about what they do behind the scene, but personaly (and I don't think I'm alone in this case) I am not. I think it is interesting to have this topic!!

So please @Lisk @Jules @deutscherhawk @jitsuc4 is it possible to have the next topic for this month ? :D :D thank you in advance!

6. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Well this pretty much sums up the problem...

Believe me, I want this game to grow and succeed as bad as you want it. But it just never will at this pace!

7. EpvpDani

EpvpDani Developer Staff Member

So what is your suggestion? Recently I've read it in multiple places that people arent happy with the speed and suggest adding more people to the team. I understand the frustration but it's not that easy. Just hiring more people wont really help because it takes time to train people (for example it still costs lisk time to explain some stuff for server 2.0 or other implementations when I do it because im not familiar with 100% of the code yet) so adding new team members doesnt mean the game will instantly grow larger or deadlines are met faster, it would just cause even more delays first and is a bit more complicated. So even if they would add more devs right now it would probably worst case mean that the game would come to full stop or at least significantly delay progress until those new devs are worked into the code / onboarded.

Considering that the company only had
    • 1 member (lisk) 2014-2016
    • 2 members (+jules) starting 2016
    • 3 members (+jean) starting 2018
    • 4 members (+me) starting this year
    I'd say its a healthy organic grow and I'm confident that they will decide to add more team members when needed and capacity is available in future

Seraphin likes this.
  8. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Completely agree with EpvpDani analyze !
    Say adding devs will help to bring more contents just mean you don't understand how a SI project works. I would be honest by saying that some managers in software company still don't understand this. So, I can understand some people don't get this analyze.

I will just encourage the team to continue their effort of balancing the game. But since we cannot see what happens behind the scene, I would love to get more information about marketing, streamers approach etc... :)

Lisk likes this.