1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking At Legion: May Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jitsuc4, May 16, 2019 at 1:24 PM.

1. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

Hey everyone, welcome to the fourth part of the Looking At Legion series! If you haven't already, make sure to read the previous update and catch up on the development so far. Along with the reoccurring themes there's some neat news this time, so let's dive right in!

Continuous Dani Integration
    With Dani getting more familiar with the game's development history, he's diving deeper into the code base, learning the code while honing his coding and debugging skills. Lisk is also passing on some good coding/debugging practices to ensure a steady improvement in code quality and as a result a smoother gameplay experience for us.

Improving the Client - Lobby 2.0 & Chat 2.0
    A lot of effort is still going towards the client improvements to be able to handle more players in the lobby and chat. The changes to the chat will make it possible to have all players in the same chat room while distributing the server load across multiple servers.

And the avid reader will have noticed the reoccurring lobby 2.0 catch phrase, which includes some major refactoring of various systems to improve server stability and support a larger player base. Once this is done, bigger marketing efforts are possible, such as a free to play weekend or targeting new audiences.

Adding Content and quality of life
    Various minor changes that aim to improve the overall look and feel of the game, like HUD improvements, general quality of life (think stuff like mercenary/worker queueing) and accessibility improvements, which are much easier to implement short-term, will be continuously rolled out. Also, in contrast to the lobby and chat reworks, their results will be immediately visible to us.

If you've been playing in a language other than English, you've probably noticed a couple of missing translations, like in the profile or post-game screen. With recent changes, it's now possible to translate the last missing pieces of the client, so the overall feel is nicer and there are no odd breaks with already translated parts of the game.

Obviously one other major aspect that is always being worked on, is adding new units to complete the new Shrine legion, along with designing new mercenaries to break your opponents.

Growing the game
    To test the waters in new regions and not going overboard without the lobby changes, a medium-sized marketing campaign was run in China. This is mainly to see how the game is received there, since LTD2's predecessor was very popular and actually still is. The campaign was very valuable in terms of understanding the Chinese market and the player's feelings about the game.
    Future campaigns won't be limited to Chinese markets though, as there are also plans to attract more players from Western countries.

For now, we have to be patient a bit longer until the lobby is ready for take-off. Development of Lobby 2.0 and Chat 2.0 will continue in the next weeks. In the meantime, here's a sneak peek of the upcoming unit!

[​IMG]

2. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Ok, this is good to hear and all looks very promising. But honestly, this time around, there isn't anything in here that hasn't been said before. Also this kind of creates the illusion not much progress has been booked since the last update. Maybe try to give us some timescales and estimates next time?

Themryon likes this.
  3. Marchombre

Marchombre Member

It came at last ! :D
    Can't wait to have this shuriken thrower fighter ! (or is the fighter a flying demonic shuriken ? :confused:)

Robert Mends and Jules like this.
  4. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

I think it's because the highest priority task we're working on is Lobby 2.0, which is a multi-month project. A lot of the progress is behind the scenes, and the big thing it does is unlock the door for more players. We cannot do a major marketing campaign or F2P weekend without Lobby 2.0.

We're also working on new content/features, namely new units and accessibility improvements. Shrine T3 is currently being animated, and Shrine T4 is currently being modeled.

Public timelines tend to bite us in the butt, since priorities can change, but here are some estimates:
    • Next content patch/unit release: June 3. We may be able to do it May 27 if we get lucky, but it depends on the animators, who are contracted and do not work directly for us.
    • Next balance patch: May 27. If we have to push the content patch to June 3, I'll try to squeeze in a balance patch next week, but it really depends on how things with Chat 2.0 (part of Lobby 2.0) are going, since that could block a balance patch. As much as we'd love to fix every bug and perfectly balance the game, we have to prioritize Lobby 2.0.
    • Chat 2.0 patch: hopefully next week
    • Next featured game mode: now / this weekend
    Also, to share some of the constructive feedback that the streamers and players gave from our recent China campaign:
    • Queue times are too long and matches are unfair, especially for new players
    • Game is too complicated, hard to learn, and too much to think about
    This aligns pretty strongly with our goals of growing the player base and making the game easier to learn/understand. We're full speed ahead on Lobby 2.0 to allow us to do a major marketing campaign and F2P weekend, while still making sure the game stays fresh and balanced.

5. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Thx Jules, that was informative!

And pls dont get me wrong, what I said was not to piss but just to give you some feedback.
    I'm someone who makes a lot of progress reports for a living, so I think I can tell you a thing or two about how to set up a solid report. But I don't think I want to go there nor I think it's needed.

Don't be afraid that a thing like a timescales or estimates can bite u in the ass. No one tells you that your time forecasts have to be precise on the second. And if something takes more time, just be transparent about it. Your not the first one to delivering something later then planned, I see that every day, trust me!

Anyway, if you need any help on this matter Im glad to awnser some of you questions!

Jules and Seraphin like this.
  6. Mick

Mick Member

That is interesting. Since you says the game is too complicated and too much to think about, does that suggest that you will look into making the game more simple? Or do you want to keep the level of complexity in the game and guide new players more?

Jules and GvR Mr Mister like this.
  7. Marchombre

Marchombre Member

Guiding more new players would be better.
    You could get more casual players and still have that "you know nothing, Jhon Snow" side which is really great as it allow players to discover new things and make the game competitive.

Seraphin and Jules like this.
  8. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Good question. The feedback we got from players/streamers was "too complicated," but the solution is up to us. Making the game simpler is one solution, but it's probably not the right one. My thoughts:
    • We aren't looking to make the game simpler, but we also aren't looking to add new complex game mechanics.
    • Legion TD 2's gameplay is fun. Yeah, Nightmare is weak, king upgrades are too strong, too many games are going to 20/21, and pathing/targeting isn't perfect, but those are things we can fix and improve each patch.
    • What isn't fun is going 3-17 in your first 20 games due to (1) new players getting matched with Silver-Gold players who are substantially better than them, and (2) not understanding fundamental strategy like "send before the wave ends for income" or "don't push workers if they're saving."
    • We're looking to make the game easier to learn and more fun to learn. Part of that is building tools that increase accessibility, improving the tutorial, etc. Part of that is growing the player base enough such that new players only match with other new players + maybe Bronze players.
    • I sincerely believe that with a successful marketing campaign + F2P weekend, we can increase the number of active players by 10x or more. That's why we're so focused on Lobby 2.0. Should that have ideally been done before releasing the game? Of course, and we know we messed up. We made a mistake launching too early, but we're doing our best to continue looking forward.

Robert Mends and Seraphin like this.