1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mastermind weekly #49: masters cup v coverage

Discussion in 'Balance Discussion' started by holepercent, Nov 28, 2019.

1. holepercent

holepercent Member

10 teams with an average elo of over 2k, 22 players with a peak elo of over 2k. Welcome to the previews for masters cup v, which is shaping up to be one of the most competitive masters cup presented so far.

game balance is probably the closest it has been for a long time. Expect to see a wide range of starting fighters. There are still a few that most will still consider "S" tier, but there are many other possibilities which are expected to still be competitive. Players now have almost seven complete legions of fighters to choose from.

Current meta seems to be more centered around the mid game, with opportunities to deal significant king damage early if opponents are caught off guard or unprepared. Early leaks might not be as punishing as before, but missing out on that early worker and value still has potential to be game changing the longer the game goes on. Totally expecting a few players to go directly to seven workers before wave one begins!

Jules and Seraphin like this.
  2. holepercent

holepercent Member

day one of the masters cup is in the books and i have to admit, it was fun and intense to watch two games at the same time. the more interesting games ended up being mostly on my secondary account! text reports for the games my secondary account spectated will be posted over the next few days. unfortunately, i didn't save the VODs for the games cast from my main account. the highlight of the session was definitely watching a 2.8k send led by 5 krakens on wave 18. (in case you were wondering, this was a suicide cross game)

starts were pretty varied and the newer fighters from the Shrine legion featured prominently in several builds, notably yozora and the eternal wanderer.

legion has always been a game of balancing workers, income and value. Balancing the early game has become more critical in the current meta. the early game saves have to be respected. sends dealing up to 40% king damage (or more!) on wave 2-4 happened way more often this tournament, in fact, one game i watched ended on wave 6!

the top 6 teams will return to deploy fighters as the tournament plays down to the final winner on day two.

Seraphin likes this.
  3. holepercent

holepercent Member

day two

Seraphin likes this.
  4. holepercent

holepercent Member

wrap up.

thanks to the organisers, casters, players and YOU for the support!

Seraphin likes this.