1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masters Cup: 1st Official Tournament

Discussion in 'Tournaments & Leagues' started by Jules, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

2018_0614_masterscup1 (1).jpg

Welcome to the first official Legion TD 2 tournament: the Masters Cup.

Countdown to tournament start

Teams & Bracket
    Participants
    • The top 16 teams that sign up, ranked by average peak rating in season 2
    In the future, we'd love to have tournaments that anyone can participate in, but organizing them manually is almost impossible logistically. We need to build automation tools to be able to accommodate hundreds or thousands of participants. If you're unable to participate in this tournament, we encourage you to tune in on Twitch.

Sign-ups
    • Open on Friday, June 15 when patch v2.26 goes live
    • Early sign-up closes on Monday, June 18 at 3pm PST (11:59pm CEST)
    • Close on Thursday, June 21 at 3pm PST (11:59pm CEST)
    To sign up, you must:
    1. Have a team with an average peak rating in season 2 of 1600+. Note that this does not guarantee you a spot. The 16 spots will go to the 16 teams with the highest average peak rating in season 2, but we encourage all teams rated 1600+ to sign up.
    2. Type /join <team name> (e.g. /join Snail Kings) in Global Chat to join a private lobby
    3. Have your teammate type /join <team name> in Global Chat to join your private lobby
    4. Have the team captain type /signup while in the private lobby
    Details:
    • You cannot sign up by yourself. You must have a teammate. Feel free to use #tournament_lobby or ask someone in one of your games to find a teammate.
    • If you need to change teammates, sign up again with your new teammate. Please notify your former teammate if you change teammates. They must also signup again if they want to participate.
    • If you wish to drop from the tournament, please tag @Jules in #tournament_lobby.
    Update: If your team is already signed up, you don't have to worry about signing up again. I will manually update everyone's peak rating.

Early sign-up:

Any team that signs up before Monday, June 18 at 3pm PST (June 19 at 12am CEST) will be adjusted +50 seed rating. This affects both qualification and seed. Only the top 16 seeded teams will be selected, and being higher seed is better, so this is advantageous. This is to encourage players to sign up early.

Schedule

Saturday, June 23

• 10am PST (7pm CEST): Check-in at #tournament_lobby
    • 10:10 am PST (7:10 pm CEST): Winner's bracket 1
    • 10:50am PST (7:50pm CEST): Winner's bracket 2 and Loser's bracket 1
    • 11:30am PST (8:30pm CEST): Loser's bracket 2
    • 12:10pm PST (9:10pm CEST): Winner's quarterfinals and Loser's bracket 3
    Sunday, June 24
    • 10am PST (7pm CEST): Check-in at #tournament_lobby
    • 10:10 am PST (7:10 pm CEST): Loser's quarterfinals
    • 10:50am PST (7:50pm CEST): Winner's semifinals and Loser's semifinals
    • 11:30am PST (8:30pm CEST): Loser's finals
    • 12:10pm PST (9:10pm CEST): Grandfinals
    • 12:50pm PST (9:50pm CEST): Grandfinals game 2, if necessary
    Prizes
    • Exclusive in-game badges for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
    • Exclusive in-game badge for participating
    Rules

Format

• Best-of-one
    • Double-elimination
    • No restrictions on legions/Mastermind
    Seeding
    • Teams will be seeded by their average peak rating in season 2 at the time of sign-up. Ratings are recalculated if you sign up again.
    Ready Up
    • Teams must announce in #tournament_lobby that they are ready within 5 minutes of each game's official start time. Failure to do so will result in an automatic forfeit. The only exception is if their previous game is going long.
    • If either player on your team fails to show for the game on time, this may result in a ban from participating in future tournaments.
    Lobby Creation & Player Positions
    1. The higher seed (the smaller number) team creates the custom game lobby.
    2. The higher seed selects its preferred side (west or east).
    3. The lower seed selects its preferred player positions
    4. The higher seed selects its preferred player positions
    5. The only exception to this is in the second grandfinal game, in which the lower seed is treated as the higher seed.
    Reporting Results
    Game-impacting Bugs, Disconnects, & Remakes
    • In general, we will not be honoring remake requests. Legion TD 2 is an Early Access game, and there will inevitably be bugs. Remakes cause delays that compromise the entire tournament's schedule and also encourage players to cheat by disconnecting or reporting a bug if they are losing or have bad rolls.
    • You should not request a remake, unless it's an obviously critical bug, such as being unable to deploy fighters.
    • Pathing and targeting issues (especially mid and late game) generally will not be considered worthy of a remake.
    • You cannot ask the opposing team for permission to remake. That decision is made by the staff, not the opposing team.
    • To request a remake, you must:
    1. Record your games (here's a guide on how to do that).
    2. Notify the opposing team that you are requesting a remake immediately at the time of the game-impacting bug.
    3. Notify staff in #tournament_lobby that you are requesting a remake immediately at the time of the game-impacting bug.
    4. Share video footage of the game-impacting bug with staff.
    Staff will review the video and make a decision based on (1) the severity of the bug, (2) the state of the game, and (3) implications on the tournament's schedule. If it is determined that the bug critically impacted the team's ability to win by 40%+ (e.g. the team's chance of winning decreased from 60% -> 20%) and if remaking wouldn't disrupt the tournament's schedule, a remake may be granted.

Disputes

• Disputes and remake requests will be handled by LForward, and only if needed, by Jules.
    One Account
    • You may only sign up with one account. If we determine that you've signed up with multiple accounts, you will be banned from all future tournaments.

Casting

Select games will be streamed casted by LForward and SiK Myth on Twitch (stream links will be announced later). Casters or staff will notify you in advance if we plan to cast your game.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    ViccieLeaks, Darktarant, jqob and 4 others like this.
  2. iConstantine

iConstantine Member

Need top 8 Grove to qualify. Bout the same for the other Legions. Might as well name it Mastermind Cup. RIP people who don't like to spam Mastermind.

3. Damien Davison

Damien Davison Member

Damn shoulda got that peak rating up earlier :p

ViccieLeaks likes this.
  4. Akitos

Akitos Member

Initial reaction: FUCK YES, FINALLY!!

Reaction after I finished reading:

You got to be fucking shitting me. I wasn't even asked to do this?! You seriously give this promotion opportunity to someone like sik myth instead of the only idiot who's streaming your game 6 days a week nonstop for almost half a year?! I don't even know wtf to say really...

ViccieLeaks, Seraphon and Mick like this.
  5. Jules

I just really assumed you would want to play it, since you're so competitive and have mentioned wanting to play in tournaments. You're right - I should have asked. Was a bad assumption on my part.

If you're interested, we'd love to have you as a caster. LF can't make it on the first day, and SiK expressed interest but hasn't 100% confirmed yet.

6. Akitos

Akitos Member

I figured this was maybe your reasoning, and I am sorry for getting so upset about it, but c'mon... You could've just asked me... Sure I'd love to play in a tournament like this, but you know very well that I am soon starting to make my living off streaming, and that this tournament is a goldmine in terms of promotion for a streamer. I guess I am just disappointed that you didn't think of me when such an opportunity came up. Overall I wish we could work closer together... I do so much to promote this game, and it often feels like this goes unseen... Like, I didn't know about the last sale either. If I knew, I would've surely set up a 24h stream, which would've probably been pretty good for the game and also my stream. Same here... Even if you didn't ask me because you thought I wasn't interested, you could've still told me about something like this happening, giving me the chance to decide for myself. But instead you made this decision for me, and that is a pretty bad feeling... I mean, Sik hasn't been there for months, and to read his name here, but not being asked myself, well... I think you can imagine that this might be a little upsetting, can you? Either way, I apologize for the way I responded to this. I certainly overreacted. But yeah... I am still pissed/disappointed. Going to bed now, before I say more things that I may regret.

7. Jules

Totally understand the frustration. I apologize for not reaching out. You've been an instrumental part of the community for a long time. I tune into your stream every time. Even when I'm busy with work, I do it just to give you an extra viewer for support.

Hope to see you crush it in the tournament!

Akitos likes this.
  8. iConstantine

iConstantine Member

9. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Member

That's not true. You only need a team average of 1600+. A 1400+ player teaming up with a 1800+ player easily satisfies this. Depending on how many other teams sign up and their avg., you can't really say what rating any particular person needs.

10. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Sounds good, I do hope there's a smurf restriction though. There are 2 smurfs in top 10, it wouldn't be fair if smurfs would be able to register as well and steal spots.

jqob likes this.
  11. Akitos

Akitos Member

That doesn't make any sense rosh... You cannot compete twice...

12. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

And? You can still register twice, since the selection will be automatic.

13. SiK Myth

SiK Myth Member

Offense taken.

Wurakls likes this.
  14. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

As much as I hate Akitos, and I hope that he looses in the first round and doesn't get to cast this because he is really salty, let's be pretty honest here, you are not really fit to cast this tournament, since you haven't played this game in ages and your game knowledge wasn't that great to start with. I remember last time you casted a tournament with @deutscherhawk , hawk was actually doing pretty good, being quite insightful, while your analysis.. well, wasn't really there. Don't get me wrong, you were slightly entertaining as a caster, hyping things up, but I'm not sure you are fit for the job here, considering the game knowledge required to cast this, unless you somehow learn a lot about the game in 1 week.

Wurakls likes this.
  15. SiK Myth

SiK Myth Member

I totally get you man, its been stressing me out as well, I have been brushing up since they first messaged me and will be trying to get my knowledge up to speed. You are absolutely right though, I always have been there to entertain, its why I started streaming this game before it was available to buy and casted/started as many tournaments as I could before I took a break. This is what I love to do and spectator mode was just not working for me to continue doing it. :( I have been shout casting and announcing other games/events while I was on a hiatus, so I am excited to bring a new light to it again.

Wurakls likes this.
  16. jqob

jqob Member

I'm kinda concerned about the tourny allowing legions other than mastermind. I think we will see a lot of forsaken + grove duos, maybe some new one trick pony builds that people come up with. I'm not sure if that's good for the spectators. Sure, people won't be able to blame RNG of their rolls, but it will make things less skillful in terms of improvisation and more like a preparation for a consistent build.

Any other opinions on this?

FongoOngo likes this.
  17. jqob

jqob Member

It's not like they will have ID verifications right? :D You can pretend that your smurf is a different person and compete twice in case you get different groups, or just mess with the system by stealing spots and being disqualified when not showing up

18. Jules

I specifically made no restrictions because I want to see what top-tier players will do in a tryhard competitive setting. Until now, it's only been conjecture that legions are dominant. I'm not saying anyone is wrong - I'd just like to put that theory to the test. I think Mastermind is generally more interesting to both play and watch, so ideally, we'd see 75%+ Mastermind in the tournament. If it turns out that Mastermind is heavily dominated by legions, we'll either tune balance or have restrictions for the following tournament.
    I don't anticipate anyone doing this because we're a relatively tight-knit community, but just in case, I added a rule that limits players to signing up with a single account. If we determine that a player has signed up with multiple accounts, he will be banned from all future tournaments.

jitsuc4 likes this.
  19. Jules

Any team that signs up for the Masters Cup before Monday, June 18 at 3pm PST (11pm CET) will be adjusted +50 seed rating. Only the top 16 seeded teams will be selected, and being higher seed is better, so this is advantageous.

This is to encourage players to sign up early. Reminder that you can sign up as a team now and again on the last day, so that the system records your most recent peak rating.

20. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

It would also be fun seeing how many teams registered so far, and what's currently the elo of the top 16 teams registered so far, without giving away the team names/team players (would be nice getting updated on this every 2 or 3 days or something). It would actually let people know if they are anywhere close to getting in, or they'd have to tryhard more.

GvR Mr Mister and jitsuc4 like this.