My rant about low ELO booster

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brokenFarm, Jan 8, 2018.

1. brokenFarm

brokenFarm Member

Hi, IDK why this game doesn't have ELO limit for highest and lowest member of the party.
    This is ridiculous. A couple of day ago, I just had a game against 1.7k ELO that using 1.2k ELO as boost party, I'm 1.4k ELO.

After some digging I notice his buddy(1.2k ELO) had main account 1.7k too, so this guy did this intentional to boost his friends. Digging his match history using https://ltdstats.com found hes not doing it only 2 guys, at least another 2 of his friends did this as well.

When you guys developer want to limit this or solve this issue? This is so dumb, people farm ELO abusing highest and lowest, it hurts people that losing their ELO because this dogsh*t will earn more ELO usually, and you lose more and gain fewer when win. The fact you play against smurf and the skill gap so big and you lose more points because this sh*tstain abusing the system.

Weilbockt, Myrmiron and Akitos like this.
  2. Akitos

Akitos Member

There is more people doing this than you may think.... Especially in higher elos. And yet again, I hate to be that guy but, I TOLD YOU SO @Jules @Lisk!

https://legiontd2.com/community/threads/party-restrictions.11809/

It was so obvious this was gonna happen at some point, tho when I made this suggestion, I didn't know you could create smurfs for free via family share, which makes the entire thing even worse. Anyway, shortly after my suggestion this happened "- Partying with your friends is now generally less punishing but slightly more punishing if your party has one player who is significantly higher rated than everyone else", which was obviously not enough. We need REAL restrictions! And for the love of the god damn game, would you guys please return from your hawaii trip and notice your game needs you right now?! The smurf situation is getting more and more out of hand each day.

Weilbockt and Myrmiron like this.
  3. Myrmiron

Myrmiron Member

Yeap lots of players are currently abusing the system by duoing with a smurf created for free through the family sharing system and then crossing.
    Especially around 1600-2200 Elo (this may sound like a lot but it's actually only ~200 players) you'll find A LOT of this abuse.
    This is the reason why I almost exclusively play on my smurf (that I paid for) at the moment.
    Not fun having to play versus that shit.

Akitos likes this.
  4. Akitos

Akitos Member

Yeah.. Lost massive amounts of elo to people like that... It's sad to see how many of the "top ranked" players right now are nothing but a bunch of abusers. I'm really starting to lose fun, and god damnit I am not alone with this....

Weilbockt likes this.
  5. S4yuri3

S4yuri3 Member

Sadly thats true. Especially the Top ~500 players, which get often queued with a boosting squad have no fun.
    I dont even know why players want fake elo through boosting.

This would hit a lot of normal people too. 1700 Elo Guy wants to play with his friend which just bought the game. With a restriction there would be no way for the two of them to play with each other because there are no normal queus.
    Considering that there is no way to split normal and ranked right know with the current playerbase the only solution for this boosting thing is to make it unprofitable for the boosters.

My suggestion would be to a change to the elo distribution in a team if one of the players is significant higher than the others. The high elo account should get less elo but the low elo accounts should get more for a win. The amount of elo a team gets stays the same, its just a distribution change in favor of the low elo accounts.

Something like this:
    A: 1700 +9/-19
    B: 1200 +13/-15
    C: 1200 +13/-15
    D: 1200 +13/-15

E: 1200 +16/-12
    F: 1200 +16/-12
    G: 1200 +16/-12
    H: 1200 +16/-12

Team 1 would get 48 (9+13+13+13) Elo and Team 2 loses 48 (12+12+12+12) Elo
    Team 2 would get 64 (16+16+16+16) Elo and Team 1 would lose 64 (15+15+15+19) Elo

Like this its harder to "farm" elo for the high elo account and over time the smurf accounts would get closer to the high elo account, forcing them to buy new accounts or stop the boosting. One could do -1/+1 for every X Elo above the other 3 elo average.

What do you think about this?

6. Akitos

Akitos Member

Who says that? In my opinion that's a two edged sword. How can you know that the reason for our low playerbase is not the missing normal que? I know quite a lot of people who play way less or even quit playing because they're constantly forced into a "competitive" environment. My survey also showed that most of the players who smurf actually use it as a way to play "normal games". I believe that, if we were to have normal games in addition to ranked, we'd actually increase our active playerbase. The que times are really only an issue for higher elo players, and those won't get worse if we had normal games. You see, right now, many high elo players play smurfs to play normal games, if they'd play real normal games instead, wooooow, shocking news: nothing would change for the high elo que. And as I said, it's very likely to attract even more players. Who likes to buy a new game, don't know anything, play 2 bot games (which is clearly not enough to understand anything), get into a game (which is a ranked, because there is no other mode), and then get flamed for being noob and for ruining other peoples elo... NOBODY! Especially new players would embrace normal que I am sure.

KaC and GvR Mr Mister like this.
  7. brokenFarm

brokenFarm Member

I checked his matches history its not legit new player, its intentional low ELO boost because his friends main account actually 1700 as well.

And I knew lot of player abusing this method. Theres something wrong with the game if you could queue with unlimited ELO range. It doesnt matter how you calculate the ELO, ELO range limitation should be applied. For low ELO want to parrty with his top 100 player leaderboard, get better at the game or tell his friends to buy a new copy of the game to smurf.

Your calculation also abusable with unlimited ELO range, this is just reversable to create more smurf for leaderboard. Limit ELO range is priority, look at other game like dota2 you cant queue with more than 2k range between highest and lowest ELO even they have separated party and solo rating. Dota2 did it for a reason.

8. S4yuri3

S4yuri3 Member

Youre right. I only considered the waiting time for higher elo players. It should be much lower for 90% of the players. We should just try it. If it doesnt work we can alsways go back and try something else.

This will effect more than just top 100 players. I cant believe that you are serious with this statement...

This is not Dota2.

9. brokenFarm

brokenFarm Member

Why not? Dota2 is a success game model with ELO balanced for solo queue, why you can't copy similar strategy with limiting ELO range?

You know dev could just adjust the number for 1600+ right? So 2k ELO still able to party and get the games. Something like 1600+ the limit ELO dynamically scale.

Why not, buying new games? Its support dev, and let me tell you, smurf is unavoidable in competitive ladder based if you did it legally(create new account, buy fresh new copy of the game) just in case there's no abuse flow like Legion TD MM which currently you could abuse by using ELO range difference that's really stupid.

So you telling me that low ELO player should get better at the game is a bad? Or you prefer people that want to smurf they should just using the family sharing and still abusing ELO range difference?
    It doesnt matter how many number you tweak on ELO plus minus calculation according to your idea as long there's a way to abuse ELO range, because it took time to develop such a system that could predict smurf, and limiting ELO range was the right solution and nothing wrong with it.

10. BadNigerianBusinessman

BadNigerianBusinessman Member

I bought the game few days ago so I'm a newbie here (but familiar with elo, ranking system and SC mods like Squadron).

Don't you think you're overreacting a bit ?

I see 1k players online every evening when I play and I'm glad to be able to play without having to wait for ages in the lobby searching for a game.

And, to be honest, I'm also glad I have to face skilled and experienced players because, even if I loose, I learn from them every game just looking at their strat / saving / value etc ..

However I understand your concern but I'm not sure that it's really a big issue right now with an average pool of 1k players ...

11. Akitos

Akitos Member

It is for higher elo players.

12. SecreT_WeaponS

SecreT_WeaponS Member

I was once also arguing like you that you learn the most when playing against tremendously more skilled players than you, but you neither have the tools(no real replaysystem as of yet only third party software can help you here and only gives you limited information on builds etc) here you also lack the knowledge as beginner to efficently learn from a stomp of better players. Ontop the so called ELO-smurfs make you pay more ELO than you should lose against such tremendously better players. It's a trippleminus game for the beginner playing against this and hurts the game and the playerbase in the long run. The result is that average/above average skilled players get/rob rating from unfairly matched lower players to get ratings that are way above their skilllevel. The best case is if someone like akitos loses against them, because he had atleast a minimal chance (depending on teamconstellation) while lower rating players don't stand a chance but almost pay the same amount of ELO like a way higher up player like akitos. That is neither fair nor does it help the game to grow, it's activly destroying the game by pissing off the better players while "farming" lower tier players (which i presume arent amused about that either).

PS:That is given the fact the game doesn't experince an extreme grow in playerbase and other problems get more important.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  13. navibest

navibest Member

Well, 1 solution would just be: all players have same ELO in matchmaking as the highest player in their premade group.

14. Zitronenritter

Zitronenritter Member

Which would pretty much ruin the game for guys who don't abuse the system and want to play with friends of another skill level. You can do that when you have normal and ranked queue but without that I don't like the idea too much.