1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Season - Painful as a solo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Defacto, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Defacto

Defacto Member

Well I have to say I have found the start of the new season extremely frustrating. With the compression of elo the games are 80% of my games have been grossly unbalanced b/c you have a duo of high ranking players into yourself and a brand new or bronze player. As someone who predominantly plays solo - it has basically sent the message to not bother for now until those duos use this time to climb up high enough that it no longer becomes worth while.

I have no idea how this would be combated, just wanted to post my experience here. I have loved this game from Legion original and right through the past year - but definitely walking away from it for a bit now I guess. :(

goat on internet and Seraphin like this.
  2. goat on internet

goat on internet Member

I have made the same experience. Soloing at the start of S3 had rating changes which sometimes did in no way reflect the skill balancing.
    Maybe have the rating changes be affected by last season's ending elo. Possibly decaying with games played in the new season? First games would be no difference to last season's MMR (and rating changes), further games use your new and old MMR, after many games (Depending on how much the season reset did to you, currently higher elo players lose more absolute points, right?) you use your new MMR only.

My solution is probably not implementable/very prone to errors because of all the variables, but to fix the sometimes unfair rating changes the old MMR has to be taken into account - Or we just take the bite and play more games, after all its random and will even out in the course of S3.

3. Defacto

Defacto Member

Returned to the game to see how it has shaken up or panned out - only to discover it hasn't. This is such a bummer. I freaking loved this game before S3 - now I can't seem to get any games that are evenly matched. I get allies who constantly say - I have to send every round to keep up - then build no workers and apply no pressure. #Frustration.

4. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback.

My thoughts (sorry for the wall of text):
    • Completely understand the frustration and agree with you. The soft-reset created poor matchmaking at the start of the season. We won't make the same mistake next season. Next season, we'll probably have a softer (less aggressive) reset.
    • Matchmaking will get better over time as players converge to their true ratings. I know that doesn't solve current frustration, but it's worth mentioning.
    • Matchmaking gets better as you climb. The higher your rating, the stricter the matchmaker is. As you climb towards 1500, you'll notice players in your games tend to be closer to your skill level and you'll stop getting new players in your games. Reasons for this:
      • Everyone cares about fair games, but higher-rated players tend to be more sensitive about fair games and more willing to accept long queue times.
      • We get around 50 new players/day, which is awesome, but it's not enough to only match new players with other new players. We have to sometimes match new players with low-to-mid rated players. That sucks, but we don't have a choice.
      • Some players are very low-rated (there was actually one player whose rating was negative - yes, that's possible). There aren't enough players rated <1000 to match them only with each other. We have to occasionally match someone rated 900 with someone rated 1300. I know that's unfair and frustrating, but we don't have a choice. It's either that or have players stuck in queue for a long time, which causes people to quit the game, leading to worse matchmaking issues.
    • Ultimately, we have to prioritize fast queues over perfectly fair matchmaking. We're an indie studio with a medium-sized player base (around 35,000 active players per season). Our number one priority is growing the player base, and we're planning a free-to-play weekend and larger marketing efforts this year.
    • Soloing is still a viable way to climb. For example, the current rank #1 player only plays solo. Soloing results in more variance (sometimes you'll get weaker players on your team), but at the end of the day, the +/- rating stakes accurately compensate you. So if you have a lower-rated player on your team, you'll gain more rating if you win and lose less rating if you lose.
    • Soloing is inherently more frustrating, but the good news is that you'll avoid the rating penalty for duos. In case you weren't aware, duoing incurs a small rating penalty to adjust for the advantage of being able to coordinate with a reliable teammate.
    • My personal mindset is to not worry so much about rating, stay positive, and let my teammate play his own playstyle. I usually start shot-calling around wave 9, but for the first 8 waves, I let my ally do what he's comfortable with, rather than trying to coach and critique everything he's doing. I solo 95% of my games and have gotten low-rated players on my team. Not every game is carryable, but most are, in my opinion.

MightyGorgon, ovdeuce and Mick like this.
  5. Falafelrollo

Falafelrollo Member

dont see that even over 1500 u get paired with 1xxx vs two 1300 and thats called an even match... (i made a post about this)
    matchmaking is a joke atm
    atm u mostly play 1v3 if u want to climb.

6. Defacto

Defacto Member

Thanks for the reply on the thread Jules! After reading it I pretty much take the point is to just relax and you guys are doing your best to keep new players in the game and avoid long queue times. Makes sense.

I have to say what predominantly when I returned to play over the past week was my attitude lol; ironically that was enough to get back to enjoying the game.

I also think I waited out some of the duos who were climbing together. Further, I know to avoid that tempting green button b/c without fail when I hit it I end up w/ a brand new player :p

Jules likes this.
  7. tattooface

tattooface Member

matchmakeing is not fair at all lol i get players with 300 less rating then my own rating and the players i get matched with is either alot lower then me or both of them is higher then my rating and my team mate so i gotta ask how is that fair i love this game but right now it is complete bullshit and im deffo walking away until that is going to be fixed! a suggestion to fixing the problem could be to match 150 points of rating within each player that way it would be fair on all levels i dont care if there is long queue times if the system keep matching players that are 300 rating or above your own rating it seems to me that you guys dont really care about players that are below 1200 rating and only cares about higher rated players to me that is killing the game i have almost 400 hrs of play time and now i feel it has

8. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Thanks for being such a dedicated player and for sharing your feedback, tattooface. Completely understand your frustration and why it feels unfair. I care a lot about matchmaking fairness, and if it were possible, I'd make it so you can only match with players within 100 rating of you. Until we're able to grow the player base more (which is our #1 priority), we have to allow wider rating gaps. We specifically made that change in the interest of lower-rated players. In the past, matchmaking was stricter, and we noticed there were players rated 900 and below that were stuck in queue for 15+ minutes or could never find a game. As much as it sucks to play unfair games, our evidence strongly suggests that long queues are even worse and that most players will leave queue or quit the game if queue times are longer than 5 minutes.

As the player base grows, our plan is to tighten up matchmaking, so that players in your games will always be close to your skill level. Some of our highest priorities are:
    1. Server scalability - Allows us to do mass marketing efforts and a free-to-play weekend to attract more players
    2. Translation improvements - Allows us to expand into other regions
    3. China soft launch - Legion TD is incredibly popular among Chinese players and we want to introduce them to Legion TD 2
    This can only happen if you are duo'd and/or the opponents are duo'd. If everyone is soloing, the highest rated player in the game should always be paired with the lowest rated player.

9. tattooface

tattooface Member

thanks for your quick reply jules after reading what you have written i see it in a diffrent rate and i see that you guys actually care about your fanbase/playerbase really thumbs up for that i see that i just have to wait for the playerbase to grow and the problems will be fixed so thanks alot for giveing me an answar so quickly :)

Jules likes this.
  10. MightyGorgon

MightyGorgon Member

Just chiming in here.

Im assuming the player base is too small at the moment to have a solo que and duo que. That might be something to think about down the road.

In the meantime, try making friends and pairing up with someone who matches your skill level :)