1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online player Count

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pilferer, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Pilferer

Pilferer Member

Why was the number of online players removed from the bottom of the title screen. I used this number to determine if it was worth waiting in queue or not.

2. MStylo

MStylo Member

Acually I'm quite impressed by the time matches are being found. I usually wait like 10-20 seconds but maybe I'm just in good elo range. ^^

3. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

It was removed because it was unfairly harming perception. Many players see 95,000 total players, 2000 players today, 250 players now and think "wow only 250 out of 95,000 players. I guess the game is dead." In reality, that's a pretty normal relationship between total players, DAU, and CCU. It's not perfect and we have a lot of room to improve, but there are ~15,000 players who actively play Legion TD 2, which is pretty good! We know an active playerbase is super important for a competitive, multiplayer game, and it's our #1 goal to grow the playerbase to have fast and fair matchmaking at all times.

You can just look at the number of people in Global Chat, which is actually lower than the number of people online, but it will give you a sense of current activity if that's what you're looking for.

Seraphin likes this.
  4. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

I agree Jules but actually, I would like, personnaly, to see back current player active in the game. Like this, I will know if there is 50 players that it will be hard to find a game. The contrary is also true. when there is >250 players active, I would like to know it. :)
    However, I agree that player per month and total players are not an important information.

5. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

For that particular case, I think we can probably tweak the formula for 'estimated queue time' to be smarter/depend on your Elo.

Seraphin likes this.
  6. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Indeed, that's a good solution @Lisk ! ;)

7. Pilferer

Pilferer Member

That would be good as well. Its just that I play late at night east coast time and with my elo sometimes its not worth waiting for a game, it would be nice to know ahead of time before waiting to long.

Lisk likes this.
  8. Falafelrollo

Falafelrollo Member

why not fake the counter with bots :D since u cant play a normal game without them anymore anyway...

9. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

Sorry about that! There's a bug that is filling with bots faster than it should. That will be fixed in a patch going out tomorrow (hopefully).

10. tattooface

tattooface Member

Bullshit its fair the rating difference is way out of balance yes the queue times is faster but what do that matter if you keep getting against players that has over 500-800 rating more then one self your "number one goal" is not makeing it fair for players all you are intrrestet in is makeing money and nothing else if you where actually thinking of your player base you would have done something already all the patches thats supposed to make it "fair" and "scale" propper is yet another lie the game has just got more out of balance! no wonder this game is dying when you only think of the veterans and the guys that has 1900+ rating and you are doing abselutly nothing for the new player base i have sadly over 700hrs of playing you stupid game cause i keep thinking i hope they fix the elo problem soon and every time i get dissapointet its sad that i cant get my money back from it otherwise i would cause it will never change and i really hope the game dies! cause it will if you do not do something about the elo scale!

11. Bonny

Bonny Member

WOW, havent seen that much bs for a while here! They just released a huge Server update, to grow the playerbase and as soon as it is not working within a few days they get flamed super hard?! At first that new MM is supposed to make fairer and faster games depending on the actual ammount of players online/ingame. So far this works out pretty good. On top of that it was needed to grow the playerbase like you wanted to do as well.

But thats only the facts now to you. What went wrong in your life to become such an *******? You were able to enjoy a game (you did either pay 20 or 10 bucks) for over 700 hours, in a time where you pay 60$ for a 20h story game, and still want your money back!!? The game has developed almost only positive in the last 2 years, on top of that there are only 4 (now 5) team members, but only half of them actually program that thing. You cant say, that you played that game 700h without having fun while doing so.

In the end it might even be best for you to leave the game, bcs i can rly enjoy it without such dumb comments!

GvR Mr Mister, EpvpDani and Seraphin like this.
  12. Jules

700 hours! Thank you for being such a long-term player. I completely understand your frustration. We care a lot about matchmaking fairness, and if it were possible, we'd make it so you can only match with players within ~200 rating of you. As much as it sucks to play unfair games, our evidence strongly suggests that long queues are even worse and that most players will log off or completely churn from the game if queue times are longer than 5 minutes. Until we're able to grow the player base more (which is our #1 priority), we have to allow wider rating gaps.

The good news is that:
    • Legion TD 2 is growing. Thousands of players bought the game last month. Average activity increased by 12% in December and 29% in January.
    • We have big plans to grow the game with a free-to-play weekend and marketing push this year. Once the player base is larger, we can tune matchmaking to be much fairer.
    • Until then, even if you get unfair games, your +/- rating stakes automatically compensate for differences in skill. For example, if the opposing team is 400 rating higher, you stand to gain 29 rating and only lose 3.
    Can you let me know your current in-game rating, or can you provide a screenshot of your match history where you matched with someone 500-800 rating higher than you? You can also let me know your in-game name, and I will look into it. An 800 rating discrepancy should be incredibly rare. The main time that would happen is if you're against a duo where one player is much higher-rated and one is lower-rated. In that case, the matchmaker only considers their party rating, which is roughly the average of their two individual ratings.

This information would help me understand if we need to investigate a bug or tune matchmaking. To reiterate, an 800 rating difference should be incredibly rare, and I'm happy to look into this issue for you.

13. tattooface

tattooface Member

dude the fact that you dont know that the rating changes has been bad for over 6 month just proofs my comment even more i dont talk about 1 patch i talk about 4 patches you moron

14. tattooface

tattooface Member

can do it right away

15. tattooface

tattooface Member

upload_2020-2-2_23-26-22.png upload_2020-2-2_23-26-22.png

16. Jules

Thanks for sharing. Looks like most of your games are pretty reasonable (silver-platinum range games), but you've also had games with players that are significantly higher-rated. I personally don't mind playing against players that are much better than me because I use it as an opportunity to learn and love the potential to gain a lot of rating, but I understand that not everyone feels that way, and it can be frustrating.

The reason this happened is that Legion TD 2 has large gaps between peak and off-hours.

2020-02-02_17h41_34.png

When you queued, it was during off-hours and there were around 113 players online, which makes it difficult to find both fast and fair games. The matchmaker increases the allowed rating gap during off-hours; otherwise, it would be impossible for certain players at the tails (<800 rating or 1700+ rating) to find games. Even during off-hours, the matchmaker won't instantly form games with high rating discrepancies. It waits to see if a fairer match can be formed, but in this case, it was unable to form one. You're right that those games aren't ideal, but we believe it's better to form an unfair match than to form no match at all. If we didn't expand the allowed rating gap, it would cause players to log off or quit, which just worsens the problem.

In the long-run, our goal is to have 500+ players online at all times, which would allow us to have both fair and fast matchmaking, even during off-hours. We're working our hardest to get there.

GvR Mr Mister likes this.
  17. Mick

Mick Member

Don't know what you are even whining about. If you play against much stronger opponents, you also lose less rating. It would only be 'unfair' if you lose 16 rating to people much higher rated than you.

18. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

I don't see any trouble actually in your matches. The only matches I think it's unfair is when you're playing with a diamond (which mean 600 elo+) against silver. In this case, this unfairness is in favor to you but I can guess the contrary could happen.

So I would say your problem come from the fact you don't play ONLY against silver player. In this case, I understand your frustration but don't forget this is the same for everybody and the AAA is developing the game in order to increase the playerbase. Please try to be patient ;)

Finally, as Jules said, take those game (when you play with and against plat players) as an opportunity to improve. Ask them some advice, watch what they do, look at the build at the end of the match. You will improve a lot like this ;)