1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pause button

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by andialki, Aug 8, 2019.

1. andialki

andialki Member

Would it be possible to implement an option to pause the game? It is is simply annoying to lose games because your mate had to answer a call/the door/an alarm or whatever. The mate is back, didn't build and the game is lost. Usually this happens with low elo Players and so you also lose a lot of elo because of this.

Themryon likes this.
  2. reW

reW Member

Thats something that happen in online games. If you go afk you lose. I don't like the idea of a pause button, because salty losing people would abuse this.

3. Themryon

Themryon Member

I think salty people will always abuse anything (reporting, evading swear-word-filters, ...), don't find that a valid reason tbh,

The implementation of a pause button in multiple games works just fine. And there are multiple implementations out there.

Examples to compare:

In starcraft 2: Every team has a limit of 2 timeless pauses. People can unpause the pause as they like, so if the other team suspects that it is a BM pause, they can just unpause. And it works very good. I have almost never encountered a BM pause, most people also pause and say "sorry 1 minute" and most of the times it is even only 20 seconds or so they are gone.
    => In this case i don't see how abuse is a problem. On top of that, normally people forfeit the match if they see they can't win, some people like to just BM stay in the game untill all their buildings are destroyed. This last abuse could easily take 3 minutes to finish the game. Which proves my first sentence of this post.
    On top of that there is an automatic disconnection pause that lasts 1 minute, like in legion 1 (after the minute, the person loses the match in 1V1, in 2v2 i'm not sure, i think that one player drops out of it and the other teammember can try to still win on his own)

In CSGO each team has 1 pause that lasts 1 minute. Very nice for when someone disconnects or something else. In this case however i think abuse is sometimes the case. but 1 minute is peanuts in comparison to the matchlength which is like 40-60 minutes.

Possibilities In LegionTD2:
    The starcraft example could be nice, give each team 1 or 2 timeless pauses which can be unpaused by other team
    OR
    Give each team 1 30s or 45s pause.

GvR Mr Mister likes this.
  4. reW

reW Member

After thinking about this, you might be right. Someting like 1-2 minute pause or a pause that can be unpaused by other players could work.

Themryon likes this.
  5. andialki

andialki Member

It is really sad that none of the developers seems to care about this feature.

6. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

It's been on the to-do list for a while, we just haven't gotten around to it. I've responded in several places about it, but I missed this thread :(

That's an interesting idea - what if I just implement a simple "-pause" that is usable once and adds 45 seconds to the wave timer (usable wave 1 only). I don't know if there needs to be an -unpause in that case. Players can just -ready if everyone is back earlier. What do you think @reW @Themryon

7. Themryon

Themryon Member

Why just wave 1?

8. andialki

andialki Member

Ok i am sorry, I have read 2 other threads and there hasn't been an answer too, so i wasn't aware that you already have this feature on your to-do-list.

In my opinion wave 1 isn't the problem, most disconnects happen somewhere in the middle of the game.

9. Lisk

True, good point - maybe it could be done later in the game, but only if a player is disconnected? It would also have to pause mythium gain. I'm worried if people might abuse -pause if they just feel like they are running low on time later and want more time to build.

Originally I was thinking just wave 1 since it's easier to implement that way (don't have to pause mythium plus we already have the -ready button in case the person returns quickly).

10. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Wave 1 issues occur disproportionately more often (loading screen issues), but probably aren't the majority of cases. Also, the pain caused by a disconnect/crash before wave 1 is lower than on other waves because the game gets marked as a tie.

I would argue for:
    • Matchmade games - Each team gets exactly one 1-minute pause that can be used at any time, but only if your ally is disconnected. Can only be unpaused by the team initiating the pause. The goal is to give a team with a dc an opportunity to reconnect, but also discourage abuse and keep the pause time reasonable.
    • Custom games - Each team gets a 5-minute pause time pool. The game can be paused or unpaused by anyone at any time. An individual player can only pause the game 3 times (failsafe against abuse). Custom games have players that know each other or opted into the same game, and there aren't any rating stakes. Because abuse is much rarer, we can have longer pause times and more relaxed rules. The main cases I'm imagining are in-houses with friends or tournaments where a player disconnects or has some other emergency.
    As Lisk mentioned, implementation cost for pausing after wave 1 is a lot higher, so no promises on when we could do it.

11. Themryon

Themryon Member

For me, a pause is a real pause. The game stops : no mythium generation, no additional build time, also the screen needs to freeze, no additional time to look at the other builds, no tab-option,....just a pause because "something" happened. You need to get the door quickly, technical problem (like mouse/screen - issue). This would also be handy for future, think of referees in matches...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  12. Themryon

Themryon Member

Your proposition is reasonable, but i dont' get the "only if your ally is disconnected". The game and thus the game developers need to take a stand in this regard: IF a player is disconnected, does it pause or does it continue? This is a Yes No question, a pause if this then this sounds really awkward and again a feature that is difficult to understand. Also, see my previous post, a pause needs to be a real pause, not an added time which would influence the matches because of extra mythium at crucial moments.

BTW @Lisk: i'm personally not a fan of all the console-commands. This seems very nice for custom stuff or development but really should be included as/in UI. People should not have to look up or know by hard all these commands. If you or epvpdani would write a UI interface-window that gets generated based on the command-list (for every command add a button): this seems for me the nicest and most future-proof approach.

13. Lisk

I also prefer UI over console commands. :) However, given the amount of higher priority things that need to be worked on, I have to choose between console commands or not implementing things at all, so console commands seems better than nothing.

I'm not sure if I have time in the near-future to implement a true -pause feature, unfortunately. If the adding time approach isn't helpful, then I probably won't be able to implement anything at all then.

I think having a true pause (where the other team must unpause) without having UI might be pretty weird if one team isn't comfortable/familiar with using console commands. (it might feel bugged)

Themryon and EpvpDani like this.
  14. Themryon

Themryon Member

I fully agree. TruePause > No pause > weird Pause mechanic