1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power score, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussion' started by Cornep, May 11, 2019.

1. Cornep

Cornep Member

Hello there!

After having the power score function live for a while I figured it might be a good time to discuss the feature a little bit.

My Initial thoughts were mixed, but more on the negative side.
    My current thoughts are still mixed, but less negative as they were in the beginning.

This is the "mission statement" of the Power score feature. How does it match it in the current state in your opinion?
    "Players, especially new players, frequently commented that they thought they were doing well until they suddenly lost. The in-game scoreboard provides quicker feedback when they get ahead or fall behind, which should help with the learning curve."

So let me open up with a simple list of positives and negatives.

Positive:
    + Allows people to see roughly on how the game is going, when the game is going and not just in the score screen.
    + Allows each individual to compare themselves between teammates, and also enemies, especially the ones sending to them

Neutral?
    +- Reveals a massive amount of information very quickly, and while the information is vague ( contains a lot of different components) the main point is simply networth
    +- Very heavily affected by worker count. While workers are extremely important, if not the most important factor, the score get's twisted quite a bit during saves and such.
    +- Doesnt seem to take into account gold leaked or leaks caused or mythium/saves held which is a massive part
    +- In casual the double and triple scores of top players vs bottom ones can either be glorious ego boosts or soul crushing depending on which you are

Negative:
    - Reveals a LOT of information. Almost to the level of perfect information level of gameplay. If you know how much value your guy has, you can pretty much calculate their workers, if they have saved up mythium and such. This can be good in ranked, but reduces skill ceiling quite a bit as estimating enemy assets becomes far easier.
    - Isn't this just MvP score from score screen? Or is this supposed to be just a " how much money does yellow have" type deal?
    - As the function was made for players to know how they are doing, it does 0 to help them understand why they are doing good/bad or how to improve.

I dont really have a straight up conclusion to offer here, as the Power Score has it's merits and downsides.

I am sure of one thing though, as Power Score was meant to help people, but it's not doing that in its current form.

If the system is meant to help show how the players are doing at that moment, in that game, there needs to be an extra layer to it in my opinion. The extra should be that you can open your power score, and it would give you some information. Like how many % of average networth you are ahead or behind, how does your workers compare and such. Simply stating someone is doing great or definitely not great, wont help the player improve.

Hope to hear your opinions on this!

Robert Mends and S3iFe like this.
  2. Themryon

Themryon Member

Some options:
    1. Make it available below a certain (average) elo tresshold. This will thus only help lower rated players. (like me :p)
    2. Disable for casual games. And in custom give the option to enable/disable it
    3. Make powerscore a teamscore. This gives you info about how your team is doing and hides a bit the individual info

3. Mick

Mick Member

This is a good point, and actually I would go as far to say that it actually has the potential to teach people to play wrong. Because imagine this: usually the one sending/upgrading every round is the highest Power Score. So if my ally does that, he will be a higher score than me, even if I save and make the enemy leak, because my ally profits from it too.

So if you are learning, and you see with income sending every round you will be highest Power Score, and have a higher score than your ally saving and making enemy leak, doesn't this lead to people making the wrong conclusions on how to play?

4. S3iFe

S3iFe Member

I dont like it in ranked to be honest...

5. Dimlhugion

Dimlhugion Member

The meta issue is that you can't really distill a team experience into hyper-personalized metrics. This becomes especially apparent in 4v4 where you might have two people crossing, one person going hybrid and the 4th going for some oddball cheese strat, all on one team. How do you relay to anyone - let alone a newbie - the intricacies involved in all of that via a pictograph?

I enjoyed Rosh's comparison but I still stand by my earlier assertion in the 3.15 thread that the raw data has always been there. Yes, the game wants you to make a Beef Wellington, but nobody expects to cook a perfect one on their first attempt without any prior cooking experience. Hell, I wouldn't trust the average person to make a pizza without turning it into a hockey puck. But when you DO wind up with the hockey puck, you have a choice to either learn from your mistakes or forever order out. Some people can't learn, for whatever reason. Others choose not to.

But the people who CAN learn AND choose to do so, given enough time and experience and information, WILL eventually cook a decent pizza. THEN they can move on to the Beef Wellington. Who knows, they may even wind up paying for Rosh's cooking lessons.

My point is that the people who look at a pictograph and say "I'm winning Powerscore, I'm playing well!" without ever researching what powerscore even IS, are the same people who won't bother to click on the red button to open their mercenaries tab. They won't ask why their lane had an extra enemy in it that looked different, or if they do, they won't comprehend the answer.

You gotta realize, most people are dumb. And you guys made a game that requires some degree of intelligence. I know we need to grow the playerbase, I appreciate making more tools to make more info more transparent, but I have to reiterate that at a certain point, we need to accept the fact that this isn't exactly Call of Duty here. We're not talking Madden Roster Update ##, we're talking Legion Tower Defense 2. Casuals need not apply for the position.

6. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Well that's the problem. There's no recipe for the pizza or beef wellington, you basically have to invent the recipe yourself. Sad that the only way you can actually learn this game is buying cooking lessons currently.

7. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  8. Cornep

Cornep Member

So a feature that is made for helping people know they are not doing so hot or are doing very nicely, does not do what it is meant to do.

How would you guys "fix" the Power Score that it would help those who are learning the game, instead of seeing massive score differences in their games?

@ithion @deutscherhawk @holepercent

9. SirCloud

SirCloud Member

It tells too much so I'm not a fan of it.

S3iFe likes this.