1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rename Normal & Casual Queue

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Akitos, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Akitos

Akitos Member

Please rename casual to normal and normal to ranked. Thanks.

I've had several people ask me on stream when they'd unlock ranked, not knowing that normal = ranked, and there is also forum posts with people asking the same question. Like, there is literally no reason to why we should not change these to be more obvious. Back when there was no casual queue, this was fine, as you'd also see rating changes on loading screen etc., and thus know it's ranked + there was no other choice anyway. But now that you don't, and you also don't see -elo at all (unless you type -ratings, which again NO NEW PLAYER KNOWS HE CAN DO), it's very hard for new players to recognize normal as ranked. It's just that people are used to the term "ranked" being a mode where you play for elo, and "normal" being a mode without elo changes. LTD2 shouldn't break that "meta" because all it does is lead to confusion among new players and has literally 0 advantages. So yeah, please change it.

Oh and while we're at it. Please also make it so that you see elo loss again (at the end screen). I understand that you don't want to rub the elo changes in peoples face on the loading screen, as it might frustrate some players, but I think it's kinda silly to not show it at all. I just don't get why you'd only show it if someone gains elo.

Seraphin, Themryon and Astrofaes like this.
  2. Themryon

Themryon Member

I would only rename "normal" to "ranked", don't rename "casual".

Robert Mends, CandleLight and Loaf like this.
  3. Robert Mends

Robert Mends Member

I know people who psychologically sway away from ranked of any kind, because they have that kind of responsibility phobia, maybe you know what I'm talking about. The game mode being named "Normal" is something not as frightening for them, and it's good for people to think that ranked play is normal and not the casual. Because the word normal has a positive psychological context.

4. Akitos

Akitos Member

Even if that'd be true, it would only be another reason to why we should rename it, as this would help those people actually find the normal (casual) queue where they can play purely for fun. This'd also help those people avoid flame/toxicity and it would increase the usage rate of the casual queue, further avoiding people to get queued up with and against bots. Not to mention there is no reason to why we should try to trick people into playing ranked.. Players should know what they sign up for.

5. foliesseer

foliesseer Member

Eh, I agree and disagree. I think Lisk and Jules made ranked really casual-player friendly. It's not called 'Ranked' but 'Normal', you can't see Elo in the loading screen and you can't see lost ratings. For me, that's an obvious indicator of the fact that they made Normal something they want all players to queue up for. The rating system will automatically take care of the new players and will most likely have them drop to lower elo against other new (or "bad") players. On paper, this is actually executed very well. But I don't even want to imagine how much "bad apples" the low elo community has, especially when I have to think back like 5 years ago when I was bronze in League and how terribly bad and toxic these players were.

So yeah, disagree since I like the fact that they try to encourage people to play 'Normals' (ranked), but agree since it will probably throw the players in a shithole that's called low elo.

Seraphin and Robert Mends like this.
  6. Robert Mends

Robert Mends Member

Honestly, I have yet encountered 10-20 toxic players max over the course of 700 games. When the next sale comes, I will make a smurf. Will see if the situation is different in low elo while I will be beating through the lower ranks. Honestly, I doubt it. I don't think there is a lot of room for toxicity in the game at all. We know that there are rare examples of really salty people, but it's just personalities.

7. Sokushi

Sokushi Member

Do people even play casual? None of my friends do and I maybe tried it once? I know that the issue with introducing 4v4 back into the game was the queue times for the bottom and top tier elo players, but maybe convert casual back into 4v4 so we can play it again and also mitigate the identified queue time issue due to a lack of elos?

Robert Mends likes this.
  8. Akitos

Akitos Member

I just don't get why we're not letting the players decide oO. It should be clear to everyone what they sign up for...

9. Crazy

Crazy Member

I d also like to see it named ranked and normal or casual

Regarding the toxicity: I d want to see it being punished harder. Not even sure if a mute ban is enough maybe think about giving those players some time off of the normal / ranked queue