1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rosh[Q&A]tul - 3rd Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roshkatul, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Here we go boys, time for our 3rd edition. I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that I'm not getting more questions about actual gameplay, since my initial goal was trying to help people to improve, by answering their questions regarding certain builds or situations they might encounter during their games (]I guess that not too many new players are asking questions here though). But needless to say, I don't discriminate, so I'm still going to answer every question as long as it's at least a bit Legion TD2 related.
    You can check the first 2 editions, right here:
    1st Edition - Dark Ritual, honeyflower and others

2nd Edition - Mercenaries, Zeus/Pyro, dream roll

Weekly(periodical) Questions&Answers

I'm going to start a series, where every week, I'm going to answer all of your questions. I'm going to do so in a video, or if I don't have enough time for that, I'm going to answer them in a separate thread. This will be a weekly occurrence, or I might do that even more often, if there are enough questions to answer (Like 10-15 questions should be fine)

Types of questions you can ask:
    - What should I send against a certain setup on "X" wave? (You can post pictures of someone's build [or just give a detailed description of his units] , give me a mythium count, and I'll give a detailed answer where I explain my choice)
    - What should I do if I think that I'm falling behind everyone else? (For this, if you post pictures of the "build" tab on the end game screen, I can give you a few piece of advice for things which you could have done better in that game [the game is lacking a spectate function, so this is the best I can do])
    - What do you think about certain balance changes?
    - What do you think about "X" unit? "X" wave? "X" mercenary? "X" legion on wave "X"?
    - What do you think about certain features of the game?
    So you can ask for advice, and my opinion on what I would have done on a wave/game where you had difficulties, or anything gameplay related.

I'm going to give extremely detailed answers. The goal of this weekly Q&A is to improve the overall skill of the Legion TD2 playerbase, by actually explaining certain decisions, instead of simply showing you how to play the game, without providing arguments for the thought process behind high elo plays.

Try to keep the spam at a bare minimum, only asking questions, without trying to answer other people's questions. In 1 week, or once there are 10-15 questions asked, I'll make a new thread, where everyone can give their opinion or ask for more explanations in case it's needed.

2. foliesseer

foliesseer Member

You should make these posts once per patch tbh, since people still need to come up with a new question while you already made a new topic.

Besides that, do you think a MM only team would be able to win the upcoming tournament or not?

3. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

One thing popped up in the last patch discussion and made me think:

I think this can somewhat relate to question 12 from jqob regarding underused strategies last session. While initially it seems like a bad choice to feed the opponent on wave 1, an old gateguard start leaking 1-2 creeps on wave 1 could sometimes have interesting outcomes, especially if the opponent had a slow start compared to your high worker start. This would make it seem like a gamble at least (similar to sending a snail on wave 1). And by leaking early waves, you can send bigger than you normally could and the opponent won't be able to overbuild to compensate for the extra time. I would think a full wave 1 leak is a lot of gold, but I never actually did the math on myth gained vs. gold to catcher+opponent (it gets complicated when you factor in hitting certain myth breakpoints earlier than your opponent for example, assuming a longer early save).

As for the question, I'd not limit it to T6 on 2, since I think that's too slow of a start:

Do you think intentionally leaking early can be a viable strategy at high level gameplay or is the gold advantage too big? Or when is a gold advantage too big for extra myth to compensate, assuming you're not planing on leaking the whole wave?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. Themryon

Themryon Member

Well, here we go:
    Untitled.jpg

Because i don't play a lot of games and i am a noob, i was following the Forsaken guide from Akitos.
    They were saving from wave 7 or 8 i think, and i was feeling they would send on 11. I see that i'm always a bit weak on that wave.
    How could i have defended myself better? What should i have done differently in this scenario?

Roshkatul likes this.
  5. Themryon

Themryon Member

I have another (not gameplay related) question.

How do you suggest that people like me learn the game?

I'll describe "people like me":
    People that have basic gameknowledge, can't play a lot of games.

For me:
    - i have basic gameknowledge, i know that a zeus needs to be deployed in the back, pyro in the front, you can start with FE, honeyflower, bersker, etc...
    - rating 1268, I have 88 ranked games played untill now. (0 ranked in mastermind) (i can not play that often, a few games a week)
    - Untill now i mostly followed builds, because every time i try something different, i get totally stomped.
    - Casually i try to make something work in a custom game, but that seems to take ages before finding something that can work

=> I want to be able to really understand the game, and that way really reason why i deployed that unit on that moment.
    For example: there is currently not a guide for mech: i don't have a clue how to start with that. Ok i can go berserker for the first two waves, but then after that? I am already clueless

Do you suggest that i spend waaaay more time in custom?
    Should i immediately stop following builds?

Roshkatul likes this.
  6. ViccieLeaks

ViccieLeaks Member

Yo! Love your Q&A. Got a question..

Whats your thought process when both teams are pretty even coming out of 10, but the other team aint leaking the next 4 ish waves due to their units. I find it hard to assess if its correct going e.g. 12, just to get value, considering the other team then can push a lot of workers. I feel im so accustomed to always saving, that sometimes i miss the fact that just sending might be better. A decent share of the games i lose are down to making the wrong decision here

Themryon likes this.
  7. jqob

jqob Member

If you could buy these abilities, how much gold max. would you spend for each of them?

- Hero
    - Villain
    - Sorcerer

I wonder if it's ever better to take taxed allowance/savior (both give 90g) over hero/villain/sorcerer, EVEN if you have a decent placement for it.

8. Mick

Mick Member

I am currently on 1650 Elo and I feel like I am a bit stuck. I was wondering what you think I should focus on to get higher. Or in other words, what is the difference between someone of 1800+ elo and players of 1650~ish elo.

Second question, I saw you are rank 1 now. Congrats! What do you think, makes you an exceptional player at this game at this time? (And don't be modest, I want to understand what makes someone great at this game, because it's hard for me to exactly spot the differences at the moment)

jitsuc4 and Roshkatul like this.
  9. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Can you talk about saving as a way to break your opponent (make them leak) vs. saving as a way to pressure them (force them to stop pushing workers)? What percent of the time do you do each? How often do you change your mind?

For example, sometimes, I bluff my opponent by saving and then just income send (e.g. sending a Mimic on 9 rather than Pack Leader) because I don't think I can actually break them. On the other hand, sometimes I resend to catch them off guard with the intention of breaking them (e.g. send on 11 then resend Pack Leader on 12). I think part of the game's strategy is about being unpredictable, which makes it really fun.