1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roshkatul's Low Quality Guide: How to pick your mastermind roll

Discussion in 'Strategy Guides' started by Roshkatul, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Here's Roshkatul, top 10 in alpha, 2190+ peak rating season 1, currently top 10 in season 2, coming at you with a low quality, effortless guide, which may give you an idea for what to look for when picking a mastermind roll. This guide is aimed towards players who already have a fair amount of knowledge about the game, but fail to do well with mastermind. I may have omitted a few things, but the main idea is still there. This video will guide you through the thought process of picking a mastermind roll.

There are various cuts through the video, mainly because of technical difficulties or because of my terrible English skills. I'm sorry if the sound quality is bad (I'm not really sorry, I did this in 30 mins using my phone, screw u).

ViccieLeaks, Jules, iWumbo and 8 others like this.
  2. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

Nice!
    Enjoyed the early banter.

3. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Had more banter planned out, but it's hard with those english skills.. I'll get you next time, lforward.

4. LForward

LForward Community Manager Staff Member

Seems like I've always done it wrong...

Roshkatul likes this.
  5. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

I can confirm, I'm skipping the first 2 minutes of your legion td2 videos :rolleyes:

6. JTWonderland

JTWonderland Member

Nice Video,

I rly have sometimes big problems with the Picks and maybe it will be better now^^

7. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Great video, Roshkatul. I agree this is geared more for players that already have a fair amount of game knowledge. Another idea for a video is a guide on how to pick Mastermind rolls, specifically for new/less experienced players. The basics would be:
    1. Pick a T1
    2. Diversity attack/defense types
    3. Pick a tank
    4. Pick fighters with synergies
    Explaining things like "I am taking Peewee because it's a T1 and because it has arcane defense, which is good against magic damage on waves 7 and 8" would be really helpful for less experienced players.

8. jqob

jqob Member

I do it a little bit different. I first pick fighters to be good midgame (wave 12, 13, 14, 15), then I see If I can have something vs late game (18, 19). Never bother about waves 20, 21 cause I haven't reached them in weeks now (this can vary on the meta). Then after I have covered mid + late game, I see that I have a plan for early game (this comes from experience mostly, but I just try to cover waves 6-10, the earlier waves can be held with mostly anything if you have a good starting unit + t1)

9. xanarot

xanarot Member

Nice guide, especially touching on not blindly looking at typings. On how units you expect to rock during a wave can be terrible, or instead rock your world on waves you did not expect them to. However there's a big mistake in there at the same time, in not focussing enough on abilities in general enough.

You got 4 different types of abilities or effects to keep in mind during a MM roll and you basically only mention the first one briefly:
    - Own units abilities
    - Unit synergy
    - Wave ability
    - Potential worst-case send

For example why zeus is typically a bad choice for W9 is because that wave takes less damage from ranged units. Purely typing wise (impact+magic vs fortified) its a top-tier build, and no way to figure out ingame that W9 is special besides clicking the units during the wave.
    So it may have a good ability and typings (dual-attack type) but if you dont understand the wave side of abilities (and sends, cause a mole on 9 kills zeus dps), a player may not reach past W9 even if they thoroughly understand and apply your advise.

Similary, ranger is quite strong in this setup on every wave because it adds flat damage debuff, which has amazing synergy with most units you selected like (boosted) vets, zeus and lod/hades mass due to high potential number of attacks/second your army can push out. That strong synergy means that they can still outperform and even potentially be your most important unit to build (i.e. W5/6/10/13/15/20 are all amazing to have some rangers on to kill the big units/bosses).