1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season 3 Is Coming!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jules, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

2018_1120_season2end (1).jpg

Happy Birthday, Legion TD 2!

Happy 1st birthday to Legion TD 2! Today marks exactly one year since the game's launch in Early Access. Legion TD 2 is our first ever game, and we're incredibly proud of how far we've come. As a 3-person studio, we're far from perfect, but we're committed to learning and getting better. Thank you to:
    • The 92,000 players that have gotten the game
    • Our talented outsource team
    • Legion TD 2 streamers, content creators, and app developers
    • Our dedicated crew of staff and moderators
    • Everyone that has believed in us and supported the game through ups and downs
    Lisk, Curing, and I are grateful to each and every one of you.

To celebrate, Legion TD 2 will be on sale from November 21-27!

2018_1009_steamsale_bw_s.jpg

Season 2 End
    • Season 2 end: 1/14/19 at 10am PST / 7pm CET
    • Season 3 pre-season: 1/14 - 1/28
    • Season 3 start: 1/28
    • Season 3 end: June (estimate)
    04.png 05.png 06.png 23.png
    Season 2 Badge
    - Reach at least level 4. Upgraded for each level you reach beyond 4.

Bronze.png Silver.png Gold.png Platinum.png Diamond.png
    Expert.png Master.png SeniorMaster.png Grandmaster.png Legend_temp.png

You must hit at least level 4 and play at least 10 Normal games this season to achieve any of the ranked badges below.
    • Bronze: Finish the season at least 900 rating
    • Silver: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 1200
    • Gold: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 1400
    • Platinum: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 1600
    • Diamond: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 1800
    • Expert: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 2000
    • Master: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 2200
    • Senior Master: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 2400
    • Grandmaster: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 2600
    • Legend: Achieve a peak season 2 rating of 2800
    Season 3

Before season 3 begins, all ratings will be soft reset (shifted towards 1200). During the pre-season, there will be no rating changes.

On 1/14, patch 3.0 will be released, which will include some major changes to the game.
    • NEW! King upgrades
    • NEW! Classic 4v4 queue
    • Normal queue: Renamed to "Ranked 2v2" and will become Mastermind-only
    • Casual queue: Discontinued
    • NEW! Play vs. AI with selectable bot difficulty
    King Upgrades
    • In season 3, we're adding a new major game mechanic with the introduction of king upgrades. The exact design will look different than the king upgrades from Warcraft III Legion TD, but we believe it will increase the game's depth and serve as a proper tribute to the mod.
    Return of 4v4
    • We've heard your feedback about wanting 4v4. Instead of limiting 4v4 to custom games, we're creating a Classic 4v4 queue that will use Speedy Matchmaking (forms a match as soon as possible and shuffles teams based on rating, while preserving parties).
    • Depending on reception and popularity, we're open to the idea of supporting 4v4 with ratings and leaderboards in the future.
    Mastermind-Only Ranked
    • We're making Ranked 2v2 Mastermind-only, while still allowing legions to be played in the Tutorial, Play vs. AI, Classic 4v4, and Custom games. This levels the playing field for ranked and leads to more dynamic games.
    Play vs. AI
    • We want players to have a place to practice new strategies and to have fun and progress in a PvE environment. We're introducing Play vs. AI with selectable bot difficulty to provide a challenge for new players and veterans alike.
    These changes are still 8 weeks away, so they are subject to change. As always, we're open to suggestions!

Upcoming Priorities

In general, we're slowing down balance patches in favor of large-scale infrastructure changes to improve and grow the game.
    • Nomad & New Mercenaries
    • Featured Game Mode - Details coming soon!
    • Game Stability - The usual bug and connection fixes
    • Server Scalability - Allows the game to support 10-100x as many concurrent players (necessary for our planned F2P weekend)
    • Shop - Time to spend that Essence!
    • Guilds
    • China Marketing - China has millions of Legion TD fans that are not aware of Legion TD 2
    • Growing the Team - We're bringing on a second engineer. Details coming later!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Marchombre, Rave, Mick and 11 others like this.
  2. forsenK

forsenK Member

Fuck yeah, 4v4 is back!

3. Akitos

Akitos Member

Mick and Seraphin like this.
  4. MightyGorgon

MightyGorgon Member

Sounds awesome! I’ve been meaning to bring up the topic of king upgrades and glad to see it’s already being implemented. Also happy to see ranked will become mastermind only.

Keep up the quality work!

5. Kyruel

Kyruel Member

i like the structured play of legions. it sounds like it will be more difficult to find games as as a legion player now that ranked 2v2 is mastermind only and casual is gone. will 4v4 be the only place left to go? if so can we please get a list of differences between 2v2 and 4v4 ( I joined after 4v4 was removed) if enemies leak units is the same amount of gold that was split between two players now split between 4 or is there more gold overall? will teams or partial premade teams be allowed? will that significantly raise mmr as in 2v2? will we still have seperate legion ladder rankings now that its mastermind ranked only?

Diocletir likes this.
  6. iConstantine

iConstantine Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's it for me. Been a long loyal run for me but that's where I call it quits. One of the more confusing changes I've ever seen. Literally cutting the gameplay by a high percentage and just tossing people who don't enjoy mastermind into the street.

Good luck on this one.

Pepperpiet and SirCloud like this.
  7. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

@kingdanz, @ashton butcher, please don't reach 2800, that will delay the nomad t4 by a few weeks, they would need to design the legendary badge

Pepperpiet, Seraphin and Der Geo like this.
  8. SirCloud

SirCloud Member

Forced Mastermind. Pretty retarded.
    Feeding into that bitching of the same hand full of elitists by forcing this, was an absolute mistake.

Mark my words.

Pepperpiet likes this.
  9. Kaddahn

Kaddahn Member

Finally only MM in ranked <3

And the long awaited king upgrades * _ * ty guys

10. Phanom

Phanom Member

Hi, first of all i love your dedication to the game. While reading through the discord the main topic seemed to be 2v2 vs 4vs4, so i was pleasantly surprised to see players who are sharing my concerns towards the mm-only ranked queue in this thread. As a high elo legion main myself i have the feeling that the concerns of players like us were overshadowed in the last months. But i didn't worry too much, because i thought those concerns where either addressed by some balance changes or in some cases might have been a bit overstated.
    Forgive me, but I'm just a little stunned by this change. Hence my question: Are there are any plans for a ranked queue where legion players will be able to participate in the future?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Pepperpiet, SirCloud and Diocletir like this.
  11. Diocletir

Diocletir Member

I like the changes you did plan.
    I believe differentiating between Legions and MM in ranked is necessary to balance the game.
    I'm looking forward to see how you intend to implement King-Upgrades. Also this one of the first time i strongly disagree with @Akitos his Point of view.
    But i do think there should be an Option to play Casual 2v2 where one can "train" for Ranked. 4v4 and 2v2 are to diffrent so it is not a good Option to just have Casual 4v4 and Ranked 2v2.
    And lets be real playing vs a bot is totally diffrent than playing vs human, we are not there yet with AI.

12. Mick

Mick Member

First of all, I am so thrilled about this. Literally all of those changes will hugely improve the game and make it better than ever! The king upgrades are the biggest and best surprise here, I am curious what you will make of it. But whatever it is, I hope it involves some decision making in offense or defense, like spending your mythium offensively or defensively.

About the MM. I am very happy about it. I have been in favor throughout, and that is not because I just like to blame someone/something when I lose my games, but for this game to be even and competitive, you need to have even starting points. And it's clear that with legions it is not. Just to name a few things: knowing units, improvisation skills, placement, sense of the game. In all of those legion players are so hugely advantaged, that it is just unfair to have one ranked queue with legions and MM. Also, playing a legion is far more boring for your opponent. They pretty much know at wave 3/5 that you chose a legion, and know what rounds they can send on from that moment, unless you are fucking up hugely. So it is not just that you get some advantages, but you are also making the game more static for others. And yeah, honestly it is a huge flaw in the game if you have a few players who have really good stats, because they took a shortcut by playing with the same few units at the same time.

On the other hand, even though it's obvious you can't have MM + legions in same queue, I can understand there are some who prefer this. Maybe something should be arranged for that (separate queue or something?). But in general, I think you guys are wrong if you see playing with legion as a competitive thing in this game. If you just know how to play a legion and find MM confusing or too hard to play, you just haven't mastered the game yet. It is not a full game if you just follow a guide, or pre-set way of playing every game. So yeah, if you like to play a legion, use it to get to know the units, but honestly, part of the full game and being good at ranked is improvising, reading your units in different situations et cetera. I do feel for the people who have gotten used to playing legion, but it is for sure the healthy way to go for the game.

For the 4v4 I would prefer that if you go for it, go for it all the way (ranked). Otherwise I think players may come back for the 4v4 at the announcement, see it's casual and lose their interest soon again. If you decide to go ranked they may have dissappeared again.

Lastly, a second engineer! I knew @Roshkatul would be added to the staff:D

13. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

Will this be 2v2 or 4v4 or both?

Seraphin and Themryon like this.
  14. SirCloud

SirCloud Member

Even if, it would be a dead queue. I guess many players disliking playing MM will simply stop playing the game (rightfully so) since everything else is not competitive.

Pepperpiet likes this.
  15. Akitos

Akitos Member

What if 2v2 ranked would only allow mm for 1,6k+? This way new and inexperienced players could still learn the game in a competitive environment playing legions, but would have to learn mm if they want to advance into higher elos. Obviously this'd still be bad for players like Phanom, but for the vast majority it would be a good solution.

Keimu likes this.
  16. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

There are several issues which appear with a elo cap like that though, which can be really frustrating for the people around that elo

Themryon and jitsuc4 like this.
  17. Kyruel

Kyruel Member

i think akitos just wants us legion players gone. he kept referring to us as “the shit” and how it would ruin his 4v4 :/
    there are quite a few of us who only want to play legions and if we were forced to play w/o a ranking system then that would take away alot of the fun. imagine if it was turned around and we only had casual mastermind...

S3iFe and Pepperpiet like this.
  18. Akitos

Akitos Member

Not entirely, no. There should be a place for you, but that place should not be on top of the ladder. That's all I'm saying. Legions are and should be a great way to learn the game. They also are a great way of playing the game in general to players who can't or won't dedicate a huge amount of time into learning MM and keeping up with all the changes. In that sense, they're great for casual players who maybe play a couple games per week or even less, as the legions generally play out in the same way. With MM you'd constantly find yourself in a spot where you don't know wtf to do if you weren't playing for a month. Eitherway, those kinds of players are very likely not to be found in higher elos, which is why they wouldn't be affected from banning legions in high elo play.

Back in WC3 we did have the mega bot, in which you could play without any elo restrictions and you were able to play legions, cross etc. . Once you reacted 1200 elo (1000 starting elo), you could decide to play on the 1,2k+ bot, on which Prophet (Mastermind) is the only legit gamemode and cross is a forbidden strategy. They both did share the same elo tho, and it worked just fine. All I did was suggest a similar system here, in which a vast majority of the playerbase could still continue to play legions as they wish.

Refering to legion players as "the shit" was a bit harsh, I admit that. I was not only talking about legion players tho. It was actually mostly about the kind of players who never communicate with the team, never listen to calls and generally refuse to play as a team/try to win. There is plenty of players who prefer to play this game somewhat alone and often income send every round (-ns fanboys). Those are the kind of players you find in the current casual queue, and since 4v4 classic is going to be the new casual queue with speedy matchmaking, you're very likely to have at least one of those on your team everytime you play 4v4. And having someone refusing to play as a team, do strategic saves etc completly ruins your fun at the game. That is the reason to why I said this ruins 4v4 for me. I am sorry if I have insulted you with that, it was not meant to be anything positive.

And to make this clear: I do NOT have anything against 99% of the players playing legions, because I do believe they are a great way to learn the game and play it on a casual basis. My "hate" is only towards those who use legions to get to elo ranges in which they don't belong. Thinking of some mech OTP who also happened to streamsnipe me (he got banned for 3 days) and players like him.

---

Many of you play poker, so maybe you understand my point of view with this example:

Imagine you love to play texas hold'em with money, because generally people will not play the same without money being on the line. It simply is a lot more fun with money. Not because you want to win money or are addicted to gambling or w/e, no. Simply because people play the game different when money is in play.

Now think about how you'd feel if you were told that you can only play texas hold'em WITHOUT money from now on, and that the only thing that may be played with money is omaha.

How'd you feel?

Not too good I'd bet, and that's exactly how I feel. Because my desire of playing 4v4 is NOT satisfied by any means with a 4v4 unranked queue. Just like most poker players would not be happy with having to play without money.

Sure, there is gonna be people who play just as if elo/money was at stake. But there is also going to be plenty of those "I go all in with 7/2 offsuit preflop, because you know what, I AM NOT LOSING MONEY". Just like there is going to be those kinds of players in 4v4 classic who're gonna refuse to send as a team because they don't give a fuck.

Seraphin likes this.
  19. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Okay I read almost everything. First of all, I would like to answer to all Legion players who is angry about 2v2 mastermind only ranked queue.
    Do you think is it fair if a "valid" runner can compete against one-legged runner ? Or a "valid" sportive guy swims in a competition against a person who lack a arm ? Because, at the moment, this is exaclty what happens when a Legion plays against a Mastermind. So, I think this is defitively normal that we separate queue for Mastermind and Legion. Also, Mastermind players never said we don't want Legion ranked queue. We just asked a mastermind only ranked queue.
    Finally, when 80 or 90% players prefer to play Mastermind in rank, I would say you should also accept the decision. However, I can understand that you want a ranked queue for everybody even if I don't agree with this ;)

Let's talk about those changes now :

I feel a bit sad that you don't mention people. I mean oursource team is not that huge, same for streamers, content creators, app developpers and staff. I mean, even if this is a boring exercice, you could mention those people who helps you so much to maintain the game for 1 year. This is a better way to thanks them I think. ;)

Does it mean there is no more patch and change for season 2 ? Or it means there will be only balance patches ? @Jules

Wow, wow, wow !! That's sooooo great! Cannot wait to see how it goes :D

I saw a lot of reactions, debates and discussions about those changes. Particularly, I loved Akitos reaction in his video hahaha.
    I think this is a very good decision since people absolutely wanted 4v4 return (even if they forgot why Devs removed it) and they got sick of Legions in ranked queue. Since the playerbase didn't change that much, it is still not possible to have a 4v4 ranked queue. Also, this change shows this is clearly the objective to go back to 4v4 ranked queue in the future. 2v2 mastermind only ranked queue will be now clearly more fair without being impacted by Legion spammers even if a Legion is broken !
    However, I would say that we didn't take in consideration something important. I'm not sure Casual game was a type game played by people (don't have data but I feel like a lot of people goes in ranked queue). So, I'm not sure 4v4 queue will be really used here. Also, the bot created by Akitos and his team will "compete" this queue....I would say so that it is probably better to have a rank for this unique 4v4 queue. Sorry @Akitos and your team but I think this is the best solution even if you did a great job with your bot.
    So, people will have a rank for 2v2 (without Legions), a rank for 4v4 (with Legions), AI queue and Custom Game. that's not perfect;clearly! But I really think this is the best option at the moment considering all variables.

I'm waiting another announcement. I call @EpvpDani who will work with you now ? :p Will you hire more people or just one at the moment @Jules ? Can understand if you don't want to give the answer even if I'm curious to know.

Does it mean others region won't get anymore strategy? And how will you manage language ? I mean, sadly, a lot of chinese people don't speak english at all. Not even a single word. This will probably make the game really harder if we cannot communicate at all. @Jules

I read in the your features list that skin was different of shop. What shop should contains if skins are not developped yet ? Also, when will you give more information about Guilds ?

What about a 7th Legion after this 6th ? Also, do you have any plans for some events like tournament, league etc... ? @Jules, thank you very much in advance for all your answer ;)

Nobody forces you to play Mastermind except if you want to play in ranked game. ;)

I don't think he would blame you for having a different opinion. Also, Akitos just want a fair ranked queue as I mentionned above. If you cannot understand this, then, indeed, I would prefer you don't play this game anymore. Or maybe it just means you don't know this game ?

Cannot wait your answer Jules.

Finally, as always, I want to thanks every member of AutoAttack teams for their work and how they try to debate, discuss with the community. Even if I don't agree with all decisions, we can still see that you work for a better game!
    Good luck for the next years ! Wish you the best for the game :)

EpvpDani likes this.
  20. SirCloud

SirCloud Member

Nice analogies LMAO