1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Before reporting your bug, please read this thread: Reporting bugs & finding your game logs.
    Dismiss Notice

Summoned Units Don't Despawn Between Waves

Discussion in 'Major Bugs' started by CORR0S1VE, Jul 10, 2018.

1. CORR0S1VE

CORR0S1VE Member

Occasionally after defeating a wave, and while waiting for other players to finish, summoned units will get caught in a loop, running upwards, before being teleported to the bottom of the lane (not the catch area!). This will repeat until all other lanes are resolved, at which point the imps disappear.

However, this time the Imps spawned by Hades were running from bottom to top in continuous loop WHILE I was in build mode. They pathed around my buildings, until I blocked them off, and they ran forward to fight the enemy when the wave spawned (but ran out of health basically as they reached the enemy).

This could be exploited to allow extra imps/summons to persist from previous waves.
    My friend (playing on a computer beside me) could also see them running around - it was not a local/client issue.

I don't know how to replicate the issue - but hopefully the screenshot and logs help.
    I also submitted an in-game -bug report.

upload_2018-7-10_21-1-27.jpeg

UPDATE:
    I replicated this issue first try by creating a line of summoners in practice mode and typing "-clear" just as they started spawning units. I made it work several times with Imps, and once with a dragon.

upload_2018-7-11_14-13-24.png

I can confirm the units DO fight properly, allowing this to give an unfair advantage very occasionally.

upload_2018-7-11_14-23-22.png

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    foliesseer, Lisk and Themryon like this.
  2. Themryon

Themryon Member

I have also seen the first part of your description

I didn't took a screenshot or so, i reported it via -bug at the time.

3. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

Thanks for the detailed bug report. You're right this could be a big issue that affects gameplay.

It will be very helpful if someone is able to reproduce this in a custom game. Otherwise, I'll do my best using the screenshot and logs.

4. CORR0S1VE

CORR0S1VE Member

We know it's an issue with all summoned units (Hounds and Imps both have this).
    It's also a 2-part issue:

1: Summoned units don't defend your king! They get caught in a loop.
    A Forsaken player might get several less defenders at a critical time.
    This is an issue with the teleport script for when a player clears their lane.

2: Summoned units don't despawn - They continue to run around.
    A Forsaken player might get several more defenders at a critical time.
    This is an issue with the cleanup script for when the wave ends.

It could even just be one problem, with the "select" statement/condition/group that chooses the units which are to be affected by the teleport/cleanup. This would explain both issues.

This doesn't always happen:
    • Perhaps if the units are summoned at the exact moment the player clears, then they are ignored by the teleport?
    • Perhaps If the units are summoned at the exact moment the wave ends, then they are ignored by the cleanup?

Lisk likes this.
  5. CORR0S1VE

CORR0S1VE Member

I replicated this issue in about 1 minute by creating a line of summoners in practice mode, and typing "-clear" just as they spawned their units. See screenshot:

6. Lisk

I'll try to reproduce it based on your description, but was there supposed to be a new screenshot?

7. Lisk

I wasn't able to reproduce it using your instructions. I made a line of gateguards (summoners), then typed -clear as soon as they spawned their units. I tried typing -clear at the same time, just before, and just after they spawned it.

I also tried the same thing with a diagonal line of LoD and Hades as in your first post, but it did not reproduce the bug.

If you can provide additional screenshots, videos, or steps, that will help me debug this.

8. Themryon

Themryon Member

today i saw an imp sitting fixed in the lane while all other fighters were spawned in front of the king. I put in the -bug command with description imp and wave 15

9. CORR0S1VE

CORR0S1VE Member

I saw the same thing as Themryon yesterday (v2.31).

I've also seen a lone summoned dragon defending the king... WHEN BOTH PLAYERS LEAKED.

Themryon likes this.
  10. Lisk

Is anyone able to reproduce this in a custom game using CORR0S1VE's steps? (line of LoD and Hades)?

I can't seem to reproduce it. If anyone has a video that would be extra helpful, too.

11. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Member

I tried ~30 mins of spawning and clearing, but never got it to bug out.

Is it possible client and/or server lag or performance issues can cause this? It kinda reminds me of late game customs, where sometimes the units from the building phase would carry over as shadows in the day phase, when there's too many spawns happening at once.

Lisk likes this.
  12. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Member

With that being said, I just tested a bit more summoning and got it to occur more often than not. I'm not sure though if those two are the same issue, but there's definitely some summons that don't get despawned properly. Either just a couple hit the frame perfect timing (and CORR0S1VE is a god for reproducing it with just a couple of units :p) or this is something unrelated.

Attached the logs from the custom game as well.

Edit: If you clear too fast (before all units are spawned, it bugs out in customs - so that is unrelated to the despawning stuff in normal games)

I clear too fast on wave 3, 4, 7. Due to that, some summons went to mid. Next time you clear, those will not be affected.

Wave 5, 6 spawned full. On 5 there were 5 summons after clearing. On 6 there were no new summons left behind, just the 5 from earlier.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  13. Lisk

Thanks for all your work to try to repro this. Yeah, it is known/difficult to fix using -clear too fast causing stuff to not be cleared up properly. This is because -clear instantly clears the wave, whereas otherwise it normally waits a little bit for everything to clear up.