1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v2.25: Pollywog, Seraphin, and Devilfish

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Jules, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

No argument there, i think they just don't see this as game breaking for some reason. Also, i don't think i remember them ever reverting a major change, don't matter how bad or broken it turned out to be.
    I mean, it sucks for me, but i can just don't play until they fix it. It must suck tenfolds harder for you, that kinda works with the game, so yea..

2. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

@Akitos Whoops, I meant fiend on 3. Fire ele solo held fiend on 3, with quite a healthy amount of HP

3. RecruitLow

RecruitLow Member

To be honest the amount of balances and tweeks the devs have made to this game is really turning me off. The number of game changing patches is so much more than Dota 2, which I feel is pretty absurd. How will the new casual players keep up with the changes if they purely want to kill time by playing the game but each time they lose out due to not following the patch and following the new metas. Games should be simple and fun for majority of the casual players, everybody wants to win cause losing sucks. And introducing game breaking patches are really killing this game. Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

jqob likes this.
  4. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

That's what i've been preaching. And changes in a game like LTD, are more impactful, because it doesn't require any "mechanical" skill, so it is just about knowing the game, and what to do.
    The tardiness on fixing obviously broken things when the game is updated, also highly impacts this aspect. Because people will grow acostumed to what the new aqua or hf start holds from 1-4, adapt their game to it, adapt their sends, adapt their mastermind picks... Aaaand
    [​IMG]

So you have to go through everything again.

5. Prowess

Prowess Member

I would agree on slowing down balance changes. With only 3 legions in the game currently, I can't imagine how hectic it will be later on.

It reminds me of how riot dramatically revamps league of legends every season. It's definitely refreshing, but the increasingly amount of champions released made it impossible to balance the game. Not like mobas could ever be balanced, but the constant changes added on to the difficulty. The early seasons (1-3) were most enjoyable for me.

The mech changes specifically are overwhelming. I understand the focus is on mastermind, but for those playing the legion has to re-adjust their strategies completely. It might be fun for some, but for those who do not play every day will face losses before they learn what works now. This isn't appealing for casuals, or people new to the game.

Please understand that this method in balancing the game will not grow the player base. It is hard enough to grasp the core mechanics of the game. Leaking at any point of the game is far too punishing to rationalize so many changes at once. I reached to a point where playing with friends was no longer fun. The snowball effect is too strong with a marginal chance of catching up.

That said, I'm enjoying the new content. Looking forward to more.

6. RecruitLow

RecruitLow Member

The introduction newer units should be utmost importance, only when a new unit is too OP then should balances be made. The constant balances and changes only affect the high elo players imo. I believe the devs are competitive but the casual players on the other hand generally won't care too much about those changes; they just want to have fun whilst rating is the least of their priority. Too much changes and they can't keep up with the meta, they won't bother playing a game that's always outgrowing them. If you want to have a competitive mode, why not strictly limit it to mastermind only for ranked and include a mandatory reroll spell. It's okay if the meta gets stale at least new players know how to be able to survive the waves and get to enjoy the game properly even with pre-determined builds. The players are what makes the game going, forcing them to relearn the game every time a patch is out is really going to drop the player base; look at the 4v4 to 2v2 change. It was huge and many didn't like but we didn't like it. Events could be introduced to test new patches and to spice things up, like e.g. x10 gold and mob count or 2x worker gathering speed or summoner spells that sabotages the enemy unit directly at the cost of gold.

7. Prowess

Prowess Member

The state of mastermind is anything but competitive in my opinion. I'm in diamond right now, and only play mastermind.

Most games are determined at the start with unit selection. There is only a number of strong synergy available due to unit diversity. Even with rerolls, it doesn't mean much if your team has similar unit composition. That leaves weak points that are exploited, leaving little option to outplay the opponents. The exception is waves pre 10 (sometimes longer) which I call the discovery phase when unit composition is unknown. Later on, your team is doomed if lacking against a certain wave which is too common at higher elo.

There must be some aspects where the player can control their fate to be competitive. For example: being able to select two units by choice actually creates concrete strategies with your team mate. You are still left selecting random units for the remainder to keep it interesting. Having legions only is far more competitive, but stale.

In any case, more legions and units will bring dynamic gameplay that is needed. Major unit changes are unnecessary right now. Why not add another unit instead? For instance, berserker didn't need to become a tank. The unique passive makes no sense as one. A tank is the frontline that is supposed to die first, but the passive works best surviving the longest. If anything, adding an upgrade option for a tank was better with a different passive. This could be said with changes to wileshroom, butcher and auras in general. Give the players the option to upgrade a baseline aura unit to have a radius buff vs. static buff to adjacent units. Both have their place in the game depending on the build. You can reuse the same model with touch ups to make it distinct. Not all units needs upgrade pathways, but the consideration of it for major unit changes will keep its identity.

Mastermind is very fun, but needs tuning if the competitive aspect is being pushed on it.