1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v2.26: Tutorial and Spectator Mode

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Jules, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

2018_0614_patchnote.jpg

v2.26a Patch Notes
    Deployed 2018.6.15.510 pm PDT (1:10 am CET)

Tutorial

- Fixed a variety of bugs

Post-Game Stats

- Fixed a bug where total mythium wasn't being computed correctly

4v4

- Fixed a bug where Player 8 (pink)'s leaks weren't being treated as leaks

v2.26 Patch Notes
    Deployed 2018.6.15 10:24 am PDT (6:24 pm CET)

Masters Cup

The Masters Cup is the first official Legion TD 2 tournament. The top 16 teams, ranked by average rating, will compete in a best-of-one double-elimination tournament. Sign-ups open with the release of this patch. If you're not participating, we encourage you to tune in on Twitch when the tournament begins. See the tournament thread for full details.

2018_0614_masterscup1_medium.png

NEW! Tutorial

We're thrilled to release the Legion TD 2 tutorial, which Lisk has been hard at work on for the past few weeks! The tutorial has 7 unique missions, each designed to teach a fundamental part of the game. The goal of the tutorial is for new players to have a better experience, more quickly learn the basics, and eventually come to appreciate the strategic depth of the game.

In the future, we plan on adding missions for experienced players, as well as customizable bot difficulties for players that want a break from PvP.

2018-06-14_20h50_49.png

NEW! Spectator Mode

We're also excited to release spectator mode for custom games! Up to 4 players can spectate a custom game by joining the lobby before the game starts. Spectators can even ping and communicate with each other. We'll be continuously iterating on and improving spectator mode with your feedback and ideas.

In the future, we'd love to add the ability to spectate normal games, but it's low on the priority list for now.

2018-06-14_20h39_12.png

2018-06-14_20h45_32.png

New Player Experience

Tutorial
    -
    New players must play the first 2 missions of the tutorial before hitting level 2 and progressing to casual queue

Friendly Casual Queue
    - New players with less than 3 casual queue wins will now play against easier bots

Game Fixes

Recommended Value & Fighters
    - Fixed a bug where the wrong recommendations were being shown (it was showing recommendations for the following wave in some circumstances)

Low Resolution
    - Improved some usability for low resolution screens

Game Balance

In v2.25, we upgraded our data tracking to be able to analyze specific openings (fighters you deploy on wave 1). Based on data and in-game experience, we’re nerfing some openings and buffing some fighters to allow them to be more viable openings. The goal is to increase the diversity of openings you play and play against from game-to-game.

The openings that are too dominant are Fire Elemental, Honeyflower, and to a lesser extent, Grarl, Berserker, and Nightmare. Players are opening with one of these 5 units 70% of the time.
    • Fire Elemental: 21% of openings, 56% win rate
    • Honeyflower: 17% of openings, 53% win rate
    • Grarl: 16% of openings, 49% win rate
    • Berserker: 8% of openings, 53% win rate
    • Nightmare: 7% of openings, 56% win rate
    Legion Spells

Sorcerer green_arrow.png
    - Sorcery: Mana regeneration: 10% -> 12%
    - Sorcery: Spell damage: 10% -> 12%

Atlantean.png
    Atlantean

Pollywog green_arrow.png
    - Attack speed (attacks per second): 1.09 -> 1.12

Seraphin green_arrow.png
    - Damage: 47 -> 49

Devilfish green_arrow.png
    - Health: 1100 -> 1130

Grarl green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 1460 -> 1420
    - Damage: 76 -> 78

More vulnerable on wave 2 when doing a Grarl -> Millennium/Banana Bunk on wave 3 strategy

Ocean Templar green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Total cost: 360 -> 340 (upgrade cost: 215 -> 195)
    - Health: 1950 -> 1800
    - Damage: 160 -> 155

Ocean Templar is still a bit too expensive to let you hit the regeneration fantasy early-mid game

Element.png
    Element

Atom green_arrow.png
    - Health: 910 -> 940

Fire Elemental red_arrow.png
    - Health: 1380 -> 1330

Windhawk green_arrow.png
    - Damage: 43 -> 44

Forsaken.png
    Forsaken

Fire Archer green_arrow.png
    - Damage: 26 -> 27

Dark Mage green_arrow.png
    - Damage: 36 -> 37

Bone Crusher green_arrow.png
    - Health: 1060 -> 1080

Bone Crusher was designed to be a viable opening, but it’s not living up to its name

Harbinger green_arrow.png
    - Health: 1720 -> 1760

Nightmare red_arrow.png
    - DPS: 117.86 -> 116.67
    -- Damage: 66 -> 70
    -- Attack speed: 1.786 -> 1.667

Now clears early waves a bit slower

Grove.png
    Grove

Consort green_arrow.png
    - Damage: 52 -> 53

Honeyflower red_arrow.png
    - Health: 1230 -> 1200

Deathcap red_arrow.png
    - Health: 3500 -> 3450

Canopie green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Total cost: 285 -> 275 (upgrade cost: 190 -> 180)
    - Health: 3800 -> 3700
    - Damage: 160 -> 155

Whitemane red_arrow.png
    - Damage: 187 -> 184

Mech.png
    Mech

Bazooka green_arrow.png
    - Damage: 28 -> 29

Zeus green_arrow.png
    - Power Surge: Mana cost: 15 -> 8
    - Magnetic Accelerator: Mana gain per attack: 2 -> 1

Overall stronger (factoring in Zeus' innate mana regen) and significantly better synergy with Sorcerer and Starcaller

Tempest green_arrow.png
    - Anti-Air Turret: Damage: 5 -> 6

Berserker red_arrow.png
    - Health: 2100 -> 2050

Millennium red_arrow.png
    - Health: 2350 -> 2250

Doomsday Machine red_arrow.png
    - Health: 5750 -> 5450

Waves

(15) Quadrapuses red_arrow.png
    - Attack speed (attacks per second): 0.855 -> 0.84

(16) Cardinals green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 1700 -> 1800
    - Damage: 110 -> 103

A bit easier to clear, but significantly stronger against the king (now requires an extra spell or attack)

(17) Metal Dragons green_arrow.png
    - Attack speed (attacks per second): 1.01 -> 1.02

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018
    Nacccho, Themryon, Akitos and 7 others like this.
  2. Mick

Mick Member

One of the best patches so far. I am really looking forward to observing some games. Great job guys!

Curing likes this.
  3. holepercent

holepercent Member

Good to see these improvements, mostly tutorial and spectator mode, finally getting the priority they deserve.

Curing likes this.
  4. foliesseer

foliesseer Member

The HUD looks decent. Will current new players (that already player a few games) also be forced to play the Tutorial or not? And I assume I can still get into the Tutorial even if I have over 200 games played?
    This looks really good. It reminds me of the spectator mode from League of Legends. Clean, simple and it shows all information you need.
    It sounds promising, however unless you buff units like Disciple to be decent on 3 then I don't think we will see that much new diversity. Also you should also take in consideration that Legions tend to start with the same start (Forsaken starting Nightmare) and that these starts are pretty safe because these units are still good in the lategame.
    Interesting change. It's quite a nerf to the wave but if a player is weak on this wave then it can be quite a good king leak.

5. iConstantine

iConstantine Member

[​IMG]

Curing likes this.
  6. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

I personally would like to have a somewhat valid positioning of units instead of a bot spam as thumbnail for the tutorial.

7. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Ok, so there are a few things which I want to talk about in this patch

Spectator mode: Amazing, it was needed. Top 1 priority imo.

Now, let's head on to game balance:

Sorcerer: I see this spell buffed over and over again, and there are a few reasons why it's still not used.
    - First of all, you usually want this bonus put on a starcaller, so you can doubledip that mana regeneration, so most players don't really consider this spell unless they have a starcaller.. But I guess this is more like a mindgame thing.
    - Second of all, there aren't many units which can make use of both the spell damage and spell regeneration. I mean, you really want it for the spell damage on something like deathcaps or pyros, since that will boost deathcap's overall DPS by a lot. Or you really want it for the mana regeneration on LoDs, for the faster summons.. So at the moment there are very few units which can make use of both the mana regeneration and spell damage (like zeus, disciple, king claw, fire archers which are not really popular sorcerer targets anyway [even though i can see it being great on king claw, since starcaller - king claw was already really good])
    I think sorcerer should be focused on either mostly mana regeneration (while being careful not to make hades broken), or mostly spell damage (shift the value into one of those). Or you could even split the spell in 2 different spells, one which gives mana regen, one which gives spell damage (I could really see spell damage sorcerer used on aoe units).

Grarl and ocean templar: Good nerf for the grarl, and i really like the ocean templar change as well, it's only 340 gold right now! I already used ocean templar a bit more last patch, I could see it being pretty good right now

Fire elemental: The issue of this unit is it's dps after the dot tick rate change, so I think you should work on that, instead of HP.

Honeyflower: Same issue as fire elemental. I actually liked having deathcap as a mostly tanky unit, so I kinda disagree with the changes in the last 2 patches. Honeyflower and deathcap are OP after the latest dot tick rate change as well, so I would work on their dps instead of the HP.

Zeus: Does that mean that it starts off with the same mana as before and only the mana cost of the spell is changed? So can it fire off 2 bursts with the first 2 attacks? Because I think that might be broken, unless the maximum mana was changed as well.

Did not really touch the other changes, since they are pretty small changes for the better (even though I don't really get the canopie change? It's fine, but strange).. I only talked about the more important balance changes.

8. MonaldRektDonald

MonaldRektDonald Member

Just a question.. do you also track winrates on "higher" ratings only?
    Im not sure about nightmare opening beeing that viable, it starts +1w and is easily countered by early brutes.
    Does it have >50% winrate on 1500+?

Greets MonaldRektDonald

9. foliesseer

foliesseer Member

Why not make it +24% Spell Damage if the affected unit has no mana, and +24% Mana Regeneration if the unit has no spell damage. Okay, maybe 24% is alot but you get the general idea :D.
    So Deathcaps deal +24% increased damage, Gateguards have +24% increased mana regen and disciples have +12% mana regen and spell damage. Just an idea :p.

10. Bluejin

Bluejin Member

@Jules seems you really did the math on this one, NM now leaves wave 3 at exactly 1hp after two hits, at least if health is calculated in floating poin values. 70 * 85 / 100 = 59.5 dmg per hit with frogs having 120 hp, if that is rounded to 60 however it would be a huge buff.

basti likes this.
  11. jqob

jqob Member

Nightmare opening in one of the strongest if you have a butcher + gargoyle/pewees. You can hold 3 against brute with 2 gargoyles + t1, or 4 pewees. After that you get butcher + a tanky unit like grarl/bonecrusher/mudman for 5/6 and you can hold double brute with pretty low value... this is coming from 1850+ elo player.

MonaldRektDonald likes this.
  12. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

@Bluejin nice catch, i actually think that the damage is rounded up, so it would 2 hit wave 3, this needs to be tested and if that's the case, changed

13. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

There's no rounding in calculations, only in display. It should still need 3 hits.

14. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

Zeus has 8 max mana now - that should probably have been in the patch notes.

The Canopie change was, I think, to make it not cost exactly 2x Wileshrooms. I think the goal was to make it less likely to have an awkward leftover gold.

Great feedback on everything!

Edit: also I had an idea for Sorcerer to make it like the old Transmute where you have two choices, either mana regen or spell damage.

DQO07, jqob and Jules like this.
  15. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, make it so you can either pick mana regen or spell damage.. it will make it much more versatile overall.

16. Themryon

Themryon Member

@Jules I would have assumed that there is a badge for ending the tutorial, isn't that the case? (didn't finish the tutorial yet)

17. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

Very well thought tutorial, looks sick!
    That hammer down on millenium just feel sooooooooooooooooooo damn good to me, fuck yea.

This shouldn't be very effective. The new damage output is what makes it so strong.
    So it's a nerf to the start yes, but the "ramping" starts don't use hf as a tank, but gargs/peewees/bonewarriors.
    And 50HP lategame, where you use dcaps as second liners makes virtually no difference. It just punishes rolls without tanks i guess.

Does this change anything? I mean, nerfs to millenium should also be impactful here, but 0.01?

This should be highly impactful on the early game, but people should be able to adapt and still have a pretty similar start, and

i think what needed to be tweaked is DPS, cause thats another change that makes 0 difference late.

This is great, but Fire archers are the ranged dps unit thats struggles the most with aggro for some reason. Be it swapping targets if theres more than one that is damaged, or each fire archer focus a separate unit, fixing that would already make it 10% stronger early.

18. jqob

jqob Member

Fire ele nerf wasn't enough imo. Still strong as before, you need to nerf it's DPS, not health. if you can defend it long enough, it deals insane damage early on

19. Nacccho

Nacccho Member

Also i would very much appreciate any kind of love toward the BOT situation.

My bot just spammed pollywogs while he had canopies for 14. I mean, you can't do solo sends, the bot sends are absolutely terrible, depending on when they take over the bot can hard push while being saved on.

In 2v2 he is your ONLY teammate, and you get 0 compensation for playing with a bot half the game.

foliesseer likes this.
  20. DQO07

DQO07 Member

When you nerf the wrong thing about Fire elemental... Also is there any news on bots? I have seen people leave game and get replaced with a Bot that plays godlike for the tier level (silver in this case) and I've seen bots that play at a cardboard level in a silver game (literally only builds T1s sometimes xD)... I feel like it should have consistent abilities for the tier of the game.

The final thing I guess I have a gripe with, Is I'm actually quite happy with doing nothing wave one and putting down a T6 wave 2, leaking all of wave 1. However, you can do this in casual, and you can't in Normals. But I don't see how losing 6 gold does anything, so fairly confused as to why you guys made it so you get leaverbuster for not building wave one in normals. And yes the difference is literally 6 gold, which you don't really care about. It even happens if I place the unit and sell it before the wave to show the game I'm not AFK. I feel like this is a slight oversight :(