1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v3.17: Codex, New Legion Spells, & Game Modes

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Jules, May 24, 2019.

1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

2019_0524_CodexLegionSpell.jpg

Season 3 is Ending!
    - Season 3 officially ends Monday, June 24th
    - Ranked rewards are based on your peak rating this season
    - Details about season 3 rewards and season 4 coming soon

v3.17 Patch Notes
    - Released to Public Test Realm (PTR). How do I join PTR?
    - Released to live servers!

NEW! Codex

The codex is an in-game tool to view detailed information about units, the king, legion spells, emojis, and text commands. You can open the codex in the lobby or in-game by clicking a unit portrait in the top left.

2019-05-24_16h07_37.png

NEW! Legions Spells

AllOutAssault.png
    All Out Assault
    - +100 mythium
    - -15 income

Protector.png
    Protector
    - Designates a fighter as a Protector, granting +700 health and Protection Aura: Grants 3 flat damage reduction and 10 health regeneration to nearby allies while the Protector is alive (this is a traditional, old-school aura)

NEW! Custom Game Modes

- Prophet: Your mastermind roll is auto-picked. You can pay gold to reroll any wave. Start with max supply cap.
    - Team Mercenaries: Mercenaries are distributed across the whole team, instead of attacking one player (like old school Legion TD)
    - Fog: Turns on fog of war during the day. Leaks reveal the King area.

Game modes can be toggled by the host of a custom game:

2019-05-24_16h09_04.png

Game Fixes & Improvements

Accessibility
    - Significantly improved recommended value bar: better visuals and more accurate values

Matchmaking
    - Classic queue is now fairer; player positions are sorted by rating whenever possible. This means that the strongest player on the west team will always attack the strongest player on the east team, instead of sometimes having the stronger players bully weaker players.

Quality of Life
    - Improved sound mixing in big battles
    - New Sound option: Mute sound when minimized (on/off - on by default)
    - Changed Nekomata's Spirit Offering sound effect to be more subtle
    - Custom games now show rating icon next to your name
    - Improved text color readability for some player names in the HUD

Localization
    - Translation Google Sheets are now alphabetically sorted, in addition to sorted by category
    - Translations Google Sheets are now up to date for v3.17

If you'd like to help translate the game, check out LegionTD2.com/translate

Match Canceled Improvements
    - Fixed a bug where players weren't properly penalized for causing a match to be canceled
    - Now shows a warning popup for the player who caused the match to be canceled, so it is more clear that their account got penalized
    - Now more heavily punishes players who afk/quit/don't build after rerolling twice in Classic queue (these players usually rage-quit because they didn't like their rolls)
    - In Ranked, now gives +1 rating to all players who stayed (excludes players in the same party as any of the punished players, as well as players rated 2000+ to prevent abuse)

These changes should significantly reduce the number of ties in Classic queue and make ties less frustrating

Stability
    - Fixed a possible edge case where a wave wouldn't end if two units killed an enemy in the same tick
    - Improved antistuck failsafe to detect when there are no creeps remaining (it will force end the wave)

Optimizations
    - Slightly improved server performance: optimized buff recalculations to be calculated only once per tick
    - Improved client performance while in lobby: terrain & doodads are now hidden after quitting a game

Other Fixes
    - Fixed a bug with reconnecting in Ranked where you wouldn't have any rolls if you disconnected in the loading screen
    - Fixed card and achievement texts
    - Fixed lobby player count
    - Fixed mini-scoreboard bug where gold gained from enemy leaks displayed incorrect values
    - Fixed post-game stats bug where Nekomata showed the wrong value when upgraded
    - Fixed post-game stats bug where the layout was glitched when playing only one player
    - Fixed a variety of HUD glitches
    - Application is now properly named "Legion TD 2" instead of "Legion TD 2 Alpha"

Game Balance

The general goal of this patch is to encourage more offense playstyles and slightly reduce average game time. Because it's the end of the season, we went somewhat conservative with the changes to nudge things in the right direction. If the changes are positive, we'll consider more aggressive changes in v4.00.

Legion Spells

DarkRitual.png
    Dark Ritual red_arrow.png

- Gold: 135 -> 130

Vampire.png
    Vampire green_arrow.png
    - Life Steal & Spell Vamp: 15% -> 20%

King

UpgradeKingAttack.png
    Upgrade Attack red_arrow.png
    - Damage: 10% -> 9%

UpgradeKingSpell.png
    Upgrade Spell red_arrow.png
    - Damage: 10% -> 8%

Nerfing more defensive/passive playstyles

SkyKing.png
    King green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Damage: Buffed by 0% on wave 1, scaling to 2.5% on wave 21
    - Spells: Buffed by 0% on wave 1, scaling to 5% on wave 21
    - Chain Frost: Projectile speed: 6000 -> 7000

Compensation for the nerfs to king upgrades. The king is still overall weaker most of the time.

Fighters

DarkMage.png
    Dark Mage green_arrow.png
    - Improved Mindwarp AI. Now no longer casts when aggroed if aggroed enemies are still very far forward (more than 6 vertical spaces away). This was previously causing Mind Warp to cast too early with “separated” builds, usually involving Sky Queen or Great Boar.

Peewee.png
    Peewee green_arrow.png
    - Boost: Attack speed: 90% -> 95%

Veteran.png
    Veteran green_arrow.png
    - Stimpack: Attack speed: 100% -> 105%

MaskedSpirit.png
    Masked Spirit red_arrow.png
    - Health: 250 -> 220

FalseMaiden.png
    False Maiden red_arrow.png
    - Health: 850 -> 750

HellRaiser.png
    Hell Raiser red_arrow.png
    - Health: 1750 -> 1550

Pyro.png
    Pyro red_arrow.png
    - Attack speed: 1.6 -> 1.587

Gargoyle.png
    Gargoyle green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Range: 250 -> 100

Gargoyle being melee makes it easier to position to properly tank and upgrade to Green Devil. While technically a number nerf, this is effectively a buff in most situations

GreenDevil.png
    Green Devil green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 780 -> 690
    - Damage: 41 -> 47
    - New ability: Granite Skin: Takes 60% reduced damage
    - Removed Stone Skin (50% damage reduction)
    - Removed Lacerate (damage amplification)

SkyQueen.png
    Sky Queen green_arrow.png
    - Health: 1250 -> 1310
    - Damage: 83 -> 84

Wileshroom.png
    Wileshroom green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 1460 -> 1700
    - Attack speed: 0.97 -> 0.935
    - Cell Regrowth: Regeneration: 0.5% max health -> 0.5% missing health

Canopie.png
    Canopie green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 3780 -> 4300
    - Attack speed: 0.89 -> 0.935
    - Cell Regrowth: Regeneration: 0.5% max health -> 0.5% missing health

Slight nerf early game, significant buff late game

Violet.png
    Violet green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 2150 -> 2300
    - Damage: 86 -> 78
    - Lightning Strike: Damage: 150 -> 120 + 1% of max health (0.5% to bosses)
    - Lightning Strike: Area of effect: 300 -> 500

Weaker early game, but now scales into late game and is less likely to waste the spell against tank mercenaries

Honeyflower.png
    Honeyflower green_arrow.png
    - Fragrance: Damage: 10 + 0.1% max health -> 11 + 0.15% max health

Leviathan.png
    Leviathan green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 2700 -> 2600
    - Aerial Command: Damage increase: 3 + 12% -> 4 + 12%

Butcher.png
    Butcher green_arrow.png
    - Leech: Lifesteal: 12% -> 14%

HeadChef.png
    Head Chef green_arrow.png
    - Cannibalism: Lifesteal: 18% -> 21%

OceanTemplar.png
    Ocean Templar green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 1750 -> 1600
    - Resonance: Health regeneration: 25 -> 15 + 1% of missing health

Shifting some of Ocean Templar’s power back into late game

GreatBoar.png
    Great Boar red_arrow.png
    - Health: 3200 -> 3160
    - Damage: 59 -> 57

RedEyes.png
    Red Eyes red_arrow.png
    - Health: 8130 -> 8000
    - Damage: 148 -> 144

FireLord.png
    Fire Lord green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 1750 -> 1650
    - New ability: Overheat: Deals 1% bonus damage for each 2% missing mana
    - Removed Intellect (mana restore on kill)

Making Fire Lord work more like Fenix and synergize stronger with Dark Mage’s Mind Warp and Vampire

Fenix.png
    Fenix green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 3200 -> 3800
    - Removed Intellect (mana restore on kill)

Mercenaries

In general, games are a bit too defensive and income-heavy, so we’re encouraging more aggressive playstyles with buffs to low-income mercenaries

Brute.png
    Brute green_arrow.png red_arrow.png
    - Health: 760 -> 780
    - Damage: 45 -> 49
    - Maul: Attack speed slow: 10% -> 8%

Making Brute a more versatile early aggressive send

Hermit.png
    Hermit green_arrow.png
    - Damage: 35 -> 36

SafetyMole.png
    Safety Mole green_arrow.png
    - Health: 1250 -> 1260
    - Damage: 60 -> 61

PackLeader.png
    Pack Leader green_arrow.png
    - Health: 1770 -> 1800
    - Damage: 90 -> 92

Ogre.png
    Ogre green_arrow.png
    - Health: 2330 -> 2350
    - Attack speed: 0.606 -> 0.613

GhostKnight.png
    Ghost Knight green_arrow.png
    - Health: 2350 -> 2400
    - Damage: 159 -> 160

FourEyes.png
    Four Eyes green_arrow.png
    - Damage: 70 -> 72

Waves

Buffing late game waves to help games close out before 20

Quadrapus.png
    (15) Quadrapuses green_arrow.png
    - Attack speed: 0.86 -> 0.88

Cardinal.png
    (16) Cardinals green_arrow.png
    - Health: 1930 -> 1950
    - Attack speed: 0.93 -> 0.94

MetalDragon.png
    (17) Metal Dragons green_arrow.png
    - Health: 3150 -> 3200

WaleChief.png
    (18) Wale Chiefs green_arrow.png
    - Health: 3950 -> 4000
    - Attack speed: 0.76 -> 0.77

DireToad.png
    (19) Dire Toad green_arrow.png
    - Health: 4150 -> 4300

LegionLord.png
    (21) Legion Lords green_arrow.png
    - Attack speed: 1.06 -> 1.1

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    GvR Mr Mister, jitsuc4, Mick and 2 others like this.
  2. SirCloud

SirCloud Member

MAKE SKY QUEEN GREAT AGAIN

I really love the Voilett changes!

Jules likes this.
  3. Themryon

Themryon Member

Nice!

And lol: i just suggested something like that codex for in game:

Judging on the screenshot, it could have been styled and thought out a bit more but it seems a good start!

Jules likes this.
  4. Cornep

Cornep Member

So uhh. im not sure where to start, so let me start with the good things in my opinion.

+ Violets will be much more viable, but im pretty sure not becoming OP
    + Fenix might actually be a unit to be used now
    +++ Protector Aura
    + Love the boar nerfs
    + Ocean templar for president. Not an purely pre wave 12 aura anymore.

The bads

- It might just be me, but boar smash while hilarious, is the reason why the unit rocks? I mean one shotting a wave or at least 50% of wave HP for a tank is pretty strong.
    - R.I.P. Gargoyle LC meme builds
    - Green devil got destroyed. The Lacerate was massive, especially when combined with mask, zeus, ranger, herpes etc
    - I might be wrong, but Mask HP was never the problem was it? I am only low ELO pleb these days, but the damage might be the thing to nerf?
    - Vampire being changed to 1% current health. Going to feel very bad when your vampire ring is down to 90% before engaging the wave, and outside of the insane doppel clutch holds with the new butcher/chef comboes, i don't see many units benefiting from the increase in life steal.
    ----- Shroom/canopie changes. Nerfbat to wileshroom and canopie got just hit by a truck. If you dont roll healy dude the unit will be killed so hard as it will have lot less hp by the time tanks die, due to nerfed regen, instead of being "significantly" stronger late.

Just my 2c, more negatives from me due to personal preferences i guess, but has good points as well

Jules, Mick and Marchombre like this.
  5. Mick

Mick Member

Is this a test case to see if old-school aura's work in this game, because the current aura's are too complicated for new/casual players? If so, I hope it will, would love to see those type of aura's in the game :)

I love the codex and mercenary buffs (since I am better at calling sends than playing the income game, I love to see the meta balancing a bit again)

There are a few very awkward changes. Mainly: King upgrades (needs to be nerfed with income, not strength), peewees (they need a gold nerf to become more popular) and Mask (other units tank, not the masks, needs a damage nerf instead).

I don't really agree, for me their very high HP combined with the skill is the problem. So if their HP gets to be reduced it's a good way to tone them down too (the damage nerf I'm not so sure about)

Jules likes this.
  6. Marchombre

Marchombre Member

Well, my thought on that patch (not tested anything tho)

Good things:
    -violet finally has some use late out side of 40 violet spam :p

-ocean templar back to scaling, but seems OK even combined with huge tanks

-phenix seems nice now. And not much people were really using the intellect part. :D

-honeyflower buff might allow it to hold two and leak only dt again, that should be nice.

-I like that new defensive Legion Spell. But you guys definitly need 2 different names for AOE aura and adjacently-deployed aura.

-that codex should really help some people. I hope it give all info. Even mana regen, spell damage etc..

What might go wrong :
    - will need to keep an eye with templar and guardian missing hp regen with the loft chieftain combo. Could get out of control quickly.

-vampire focusing even more on dps now. Not much units will use it sadly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can only see dopple and phenix.

Not fan of it:

- wileshroom change might make holding 1 with 5w impossible. And I don't want that.
    But the thing is, Idk how it's more viable now. Doesn't sem it will be better now to me. Idk. Maybe I should do the maths.

-why remove lacerate ? Idk. I feel like some nice combo just vanished.

-nerfing mask on hp doesn't feel right. Might nerf them a bit early. But they will still crush any wave if spam being a tank, wont' they ?

-the new offensive legion spell doesn't feel that new. I mean, it's not that far from press the attack.
    Trading 9 income (+20mythium gives you +6) for +25% extra push power doesn't seem much. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

Jules and Cornep like this.
  7. Bluejin

Bluejin Member

Why is everyone assuming Wileshroom / Canopie is a nerf? If I'm not missing something, it should be a buff overall.

Current situation :
    • Wileshroom has 1460 total health, which means 730 health when the wave starts, and it regens 0.005*1460 = 7.3 hp/s.
    • Canopie has 3780 total health, which means 1890 health when the wave starts, and it regens 0.005*3780 = 18.9 hp/s.
    New situation :
    • Wileshroom has 1700 total health, which means 850 health when the wave starts, and it regens 0.005*850 = 4.25 hp/s when the wave starts and up to 0.005*1700 = 8.5 hp/s when it is close to dying.
    • Canopie has 4300 total health, which means 2150 health when the wave starts, and it regens 0.005*2150 = 10.75 hp/s when the wave starts and up to 0.005*4300 = 21.5 hp/s when it is close to dying.
    Yes, the regeneration got weaker overall, but the starting health increased by 120 / 260 respectively. The current versions would need 120/7.3 = 16.4 / 260/18.9 = 13.7 seconds to reach that health buff, and probably close to double that time to overtake the new ones. Pretty sure most waves get to your shrooms in less than 25 seconds.

Mask health nerfs will at least make Mask starts quite a bit weaker.

Disappointed I don't see any meaningful changes to Pyro, they will still be dominant.

Sky Queen won't come back with that change, the combo of Egg and Sky Queen when the egg still spawned the Hydra got it nerfed to the ground, even with these buffs it will be a worse Mask on most waves.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Seraphin and Jules like this.
  8. Jules

I thought about nerfing the charge damage, but that's a big part of what makes the unit fun/unique, so I went with base stats.
    Green Devil is stronger most of the time. Yeah, it may be weaker when paired with mass Mask/Zeus/Pyro, but Green Devil was honestly never intended to be good with those units. The only reason Lacerate was added many moons ago was to make it more interesting, given that there was nothing that synergized with Stone Skin other than Butcher/Head Chef. This was back when we had only 4 legions and no legion spells. Now we have Butcher, Head Chef, Whitemane (Council used to only work on Antlers), Ocean Templar, Desert Pilgrim, Lost Chieftain, Hero, Vampire, Villain, and Protector.

Test it out on PTR. It's stronger on its own and certainly stronger when paired with life steal/healing/health gain/flat damage reduction. Try Butcher + Green Devil. It always made sense on paper but rarely worked because Butcher and Green Devil were both weak, and too much of Green Devil's power budget was in Lacerate. Now the combo is quite strong.
    The health nerf was intentional. People get deceived by looks. Masked Spirit was effectively the tankiest ranged unit in the game and tankier than many melee units. It had more health/gold than Grarl, Deathcap, Violet, Banana Haven, and Lioness, and almost as much as Kingpin and King Claw.

The health nerf was also targeting their strength as an opening. The high health is one of the reasons you could start with False Maiden + 2 Masked Spirits. If you can easily hold waves with 600-range "DPS" units and no tanks, something is wrong. To be honest, I should probably nerf their health even more, but I didn't want to go overboard.
    I'll revert that Vampire change and keep it at 0.5% max health. Still buffing the life steal and spell vamp to 20% though, since Vampire is currently weak. The spell vamp was also buffed to 20%, I just forget to mention it in the patch notes. I'm reasonably confident that Vampire is viable at 20%.
    Have you tested it on PTR yet? The Wileshroom/Canopie changes are a buff 95% of the time. It's only a nerf when they live for like 60+ seconds, which is not that common early game and incredibly rare late game.
    We're considering reintroducing some traditional auras. I think Protector works particularly well as a traditional aura for two reasons:
    1. You can only have one Protector, so we can just give it huge range. One reason we didn't do that with fighters like APS is that we want it to be viable to build multiple of the same unit.
    2. The design of Protector is really cool because you can either buff a tank like Whitemane (giving it extra health) or a ranged backline unit to have Protection Aura last longer.
    Try it on PTR! Wileshroom still holds wave 1 with 5 workers. It's a buff like 95% of the time.
    And new/stronger combos have emerged! Try Green Devil with Butcher, Lost Chieftain, and Protector now. Green Devil was always intended to be good with life steal/healing/health gain/flat damage reduction, but it never really was (other than Lost Chieftain) because of how much power budget was in Lacerate.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    basti likes this.
  9. SirCloud

SirCloud Member

The mask nerf was sorta right. Players are getting punished now when they build stupid stuff (Especially on 10 and 13) and I feel like Mask is one of these units that's incredible stupid and annoying to balance so I'm okay with it. At least you guys changed something about it.

Jules likes this.
  10. Chilingfrost

Chilingfrost Member

After seeing the patch notes my initial thought is "Jules wanted to reduce the synergistic effects between GD and dps, but Jules also want to compensate GD by buffing GD Butcher and adding protector to the game". Honestly if I ever get antler+garg+pilgrim in a roll with protector, I am trying that shit and hope I got some backline dps :O Also Nightmare got a lot of indirect buffs this patch :p

Robert Mends and Jules like this.
  11. nimea

nimea Member

I like this patch! Good job! If you do this every 2 weeks (you don't have to make that many changes lol) then I'm happy with everything.

Jules likes this.
  12. GvR Mr Mister

GvR Mr Mister Member

<3

Robert Mends and Jules like this.
  13. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Interesting patch!

I like the new spells, especially the protector! Now I'm quite curious how the difference between this traditional AOE-aura and the AD(adjacently deployed)-aura is gonna work out. How will it be visualized? And how many units can it affect? Maybe you can add this kind of information in the patch notes next time you deploy something new :).

But really, nice patch!!

Jules likes this.
  14. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between reduced damage and damage reduction? Seems to me like pretty much the same thing.

15. Chilingfrost

Chilingfrost Member

@s0n0fagun They are the same thing ^^ also if you are in doubt how flat damage reduction and % damage reduction is calculated, it is % damage reduc first and afterwards flat damage reduction ^^

s0n0fagun, Jules and Lisk like this.
  16. raloP

raloP Member

Hey guys, like the changes, melee gargoyle specially. Im my experience two units are OP, mask and boar. Mask HP seems like a good nerf, but boar may need a nerf to charge damage...

Jules likes this.
  17. SSP

SSP Member

Nice update overall as usual I think :)
    Some first thoughts:

I like the new modes, however I'm afraid that with the quite low playerbase, game queues will be longer :(

Thank you ! I love this unit but it was so frustrating to see half of the buff time wasted.

Not sure how to feel about it. Lacerate was really strong imo with the rangers' Mark and Stone Skin felt good as it was.

I really like it too, it feels more relevant late game now.

Jules likes this.
  18. Darktarant

Darktarant Member

I have one important question. What aplies first the flat dmg reduction from Protector or any percetal reduction like the Granite Skin?
    I would assume Granite skin comes first?

19. Jules

Don't worry - custom games represent a very small % of games played, so they don't really affect matchmaking. We plan on doing Prophet as a featured game mode, but it would only be for a limited time on the weekend when activity is highest.
    Percent reduction applies first, then flat reduction. Flat reduction is very strong with percent reduction. For example, let's say you have a Whitemane next to a Green Devil with Protector on wave 14.

The Green Devil has 60% reduction from Granite Skin, 15% reduction from Council, and 8 flat damage reduction from Council and Protection Aura. Killer Slugs do 127 damage per attack. Green Devil has arcane defense and takes 75% damage from magic attacks.

Green Devil would take 127 * (1 - 0.60) * (1 - 0.15) * 0.75 - 8 = 24 damage per attack from a Killer Slug.

Robert Mends likes this.
  20. Robert Mends

Robert Mends Member

^ Green Devil OP confirmed.