1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warcraft III Reforged

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by s0n0fagun, Feb 1, 2019.

1. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

@Jules @Lisk @EpvpDani @Curing

I bet you guys already heard about the upcomming release of Blizzards Warcraft III Reforged before the end of the year.

Blizzard is planning to include world editor and costum maps. Even live multiplayer matchmaking for custom maps will be possible.That means there is a good chance that someone will recreate and improve Legion 1.

Now I see quite a lot of unwanted competition for you guys lurking in the shadow. In which way are you planning on anticipating on that in a strategic way?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Well, I would say the probability is high they have a patent on Legion TD 1 on Warcraft 3. If not, they could get it now for nothing or push harder on Legion TD 2.
    Anyways, in case Legion TD 1 is improved by someone or a group of people, it is not before a long time...

so, I think we should not be afraid about this Warcraft 3 reforged at the moment. But for sure, they will have to do something within the next 6 months - 1 year in my opinion ;)

3. Mick

Mick Member

I'm curious what you are thinking of what they can do, besides developing the game more and hoping their game is good enough that people come play here?

4. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

An easy suggestion would be just to remove Legion TD 1 from Warcraft 3. This is their mod on wc3. so they should be able to remove it.

But yeah the main thing they can do is develop faster new features and new contents ;) But that's also the reason they hire Dani ;)

5. Mick

Mick Member

Hmm, I doubt this is true though? Lisk did create the first LTD as far as I know, but HuanAk (don't know if you spell it exactly like that) developed Legion TD Mega with 3x as many creeps. Nowadays Broud3r is still developing LTD mega. Would that all be with permission of our devs, or is it just open-source (or possibly ownership of Blizzard)?

6. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Lmao, you can't just remove something like that. + the actual Legion TD 1 created by them, the x1 version, isn't played at all. The x3 version which is currently still being developed by Broud3r is the played one.

7. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

It depends on if Auto Attack gets a patent on their game. If not, there is no way they can remove it from wc3. In the contary, they obviously can remove from it. Why don't they could ? :O

8. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

I do not think that Auto Attack games has a patent on Legion 1. They may have invented the concept, but the construction has been created within Warcraft 3 and that is the property of Blizzard. However, I am not sure how these things are arranged.

9. Mick

Mick Member

I got interested, so checked it.

https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/lega...7cb3610318b/custom-game-acceptable-use-policy

Ownership.

Custom Games are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Blizzard. Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title and interest in and to all Custom Games [..] Blizzard shall have the right to maintain the Custom Game on Blizzard’s Arcade service even if the developer of the Custom Game requests that Blizzard remove the Custom Game from the Arcade service.

So, no way I think.

Seraphin likes this.
  10. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

The debate is closed with that information ;) Thank you very much

EDIT: Since I was wrong, I delete my previous post then :)

11. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Jep thats exactly what I expected.

Now im affraid this upcomming threat coudn't get on a worse moment for Auto Attack games. They still on early stages of development of this game. And because they have not many ppl working on it, they are moving slow. It is now their job to be one step ahead of the competition and always have the better game.

12. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Anyways, Legion TD 1 will be still a mod and not a real game. That is a huge difference. Also, It is not like Legion TD 1 will get a lot more development than at the moment. I mean, the graphism will be better. Only that. The gameplay, feature etc... won't be more developped. Except this possible matchmaking (which exists already more or less).

So, my conclusion is still the same. I'm not particularly afraid about the competition with Legion TD 1. I'm really more afraid about their ability to attract new players and keep them playing enough fast before a huge video game studio develop a TD (like Tencent for example). That is really more dangerous than Legion TD 1 I think.

13. jitsuc4

jitsuc4 Moderator

Since that question came up a couple of times already I think, this was Jules' response at that time:

upload_2019-2-1_15-3-45.png

Also like Seraphin pointed out, reforged itselft won't change anything about custom maps in wc3, only graphical overhaul. And new players checking out the remastered LTD1 might also check out LTD2, if the focus of players for reforged is even on custom maps, one specific on top of that, over the core game.

EpvpDani and Seraphin like this.
  14. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

Well yeah there is some truth in that. But I still think Warcraft III Reforged is a competitor for legion td2 and can easily attract a part of its
    player base.

15. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

Maybe in the first months of his start. Then, AutoAttack should develop faster Legion TD 2 which will make Legion TD 1 obsolete. So no worries concerning this . ;)

Since this is a niche video game activity at the moment, there is not direct threat for Legion TD 2 in the world. They are clearly the leader on this market...till this kind of game becomes popular ?

16. s0n0fagun

s0n0fagun Member

All I can say is,,, lets hope so :D

17. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

This is pretty funny. I especially loved this:

Did you really think that trough?

If there's a guy which will actually work hard on a WC3 reforged LTD version, he can make it better than LTD2 in a few weeks, assuming that blizzard will provide good matchmaking.
    We've had 2 months without any single new unit. In WC3 reforged, you'll just be able to use already existing assets or assets made by graphics artists around the world. You could create a new legion in a week, easily.
    So if there's gonna be someone or a group of players who know what they are doing, LTD2 at it's current pace doesn't stand a chance against WC3 reforged.

The only advantage LTD2 has it's that it is it's own client, so the main focus is on the Legion TD itself, while WC3 reforged will have a multitude of custom games. But for new, inexperienced players, this won't matter. They'll never spend 20$ on LTD 2 when they'll be able to spend a similar amount on WC3 which offers 10 times more in terms of custom games and possibilities.

SirCloud likes this.
  18. Seraphin

Seraphin Member

of course I think that. Else I would not write it ^^

Well, I don't know what kind of work you do but for sure you underestimate the work needed XD. Development in informatic is really more complicated than people can think. I would say this is even harder in video games players are really more demanding than a company (in my opinion). Maybe it takes less time on wc3 since there is no need unity or something like this. However, you need to understand well how LTD is done and you're limited by tools given to you (I think).

I hear a lot of complains about lack of contents, they didn't give anything well etc...
    I would say that they said they do some REFACTORING (remake some part of code) in order to be easier to include new software developer, more performant etc... This take a LOT of time and is not necessary visible for the users (players here).
    So yeah they didn't give us anything new for us. But NOW, I expect them to have more capacity and more velocity to develop new contents/features after this refactoring.
    If it is still not the case, I will say that I'm worried. But for now, I'm not. ;)

Yeah of course. I would even say that we can create a LEgion TD 3 in 2-3 months hahaha. Sorry but you are far from the reality ;) If it was so easy to develop a new content, why Riot Games proposes new unit only every 3-4 months ? They are really more working on League Of Legend, so they should be able to create like 5 or 6 champions every week. But this is still every 3-4 months.
    No no no no. That's not so easy ^^

Tell me, why would you develop something and work on a game which cannot bring you anything since the mod will be Blizzard's property ? 0 chance we have a group of people who works about it in full time and develop faster than Legion TD 2. I'm sure about that.

Yeah you're right here. But do they want to have NOW all players ? For sure they would like. But they also know this is not the case at the moment. They just take the time in order to get feedback little by little and prepare the future. That's it ;)
    We need to be patient. Yeah yeah I know this is a horrible word XD

EpvpDani likes this.
  19. SirCloud

SirCloud Member

Do they not want the players now? Last time I checked Jules announced that he's less focussing on balance patches and more on the marketing in China to grow the playerbase. I think you're a little too optimistic. You can't really compare worldeditor map making with creating a game from the scratch.

20. Roshkatul

Roshkatul Member

Most of your points are.. I don't know how to call them.

Not when it comes to custom games editors. Yeah, they are hard to understand if you are inexperienced, but once you learn how to work with them, which doesn't take too long, you can do a lot in short amounts of time as all of the assets are available to you. Proof of that is the amount of high quality custom maps WC3 has, on a 20 year old custom game editor.

Yeah, and players don't care about that, ever. If I'm a guy tempted to buy the game, I don't care if the devs are busy working on backend stuff as long as I'm not getting any new content to enjoy. So I might as well not buy the game. This point is stupid. Yeah, working on the base code is needed. Will players ever care about that, if that means they get no content? No.

Dumbest comparison. You are comparing a finished product with a game which doesn't even have half as much content as the WC3 mod.
    The hardest part of adding new content in Legion TD2 is artwork, while the hardest part in adding new content in League of Legends or DotA2 is to balance a new champion around 100 other champions, while still giving something unique, which is hard when you have 400/500 other abilities in-game. Legion TD2 doesn't have those issue.

And a WC3 reforged version of Legion TD can just copy-paste every unit stat/ability from the WC3:TFT version, they don't even need to think about stats and balancing yet, since they already have the base game with over 80 units

Tell me, why are maps like Legion TD Mega and Survival Chaos (which is a brand new map) still being developed in WC3:TFT? WC3 is 20 years old, and it doesn't even have such an amazingly large playerbase anymore, but WC3 reforged will. Because people enjoy making this sort of stuff. Some of them also get donations and support. Some of them do this as a hobby.
    Why was Auto Chess developed? It's a custom map which has over 200k CONCURRENT players, Valve also has the right over those.

L.E. Btw, if we're talking about auto chess. They've added like 3 new heroes in 1 week, and they'll add like 4 more heroes the following week. That's because they already have all of the artwork done, since they are just importing heroes from Dota2 and just changing their stats/abilities. It will be just that simple, if not simpler, adding new units in WC3 reforged.

Yeah, I guess they don't, as they're not even able to keep the current ones.